Biotest

Butternut Squash Lasagna

If a similar recipe is in here already, I apologize. But I had to talk about this because it was oh-so amazing. I ate it before I could take pics, but believe me, it really did happen.

You’ll need:
1 Butternut Squash (preferably a pretty large one - Also this could be replicated with any type of squash or zucchini type thing, I would imagine.)
1 jar of Tomato Sauce (I used Classico spicy red pepper)
About 1 pound of Meat of choice (I used ground turkey)
Low-Fat Mozzarella cheese
fat free cottage cheese
A crap-ton of Italian seasonings/herbs of choice.

First, peel your squash and chop it into pieces. Use a vegetable peeler, or, for extra cardio, try doing it with a straight knife. When chopping, you want the pieces to resemble noodles as best as possible, so thin wide slices are better than chunks.

Put these on a pan (spray it down or use parchment paper to avoid sticking) and cook 'em. I did an hour or so at 350 degrees.

While this is going on, cook your meat of choice and chop it up into tiny pieces. Ground meat does this kindof naturally. Start putting all the seasonings and herbs in there. Oregano works well, Basil, or anything else with that “Italian” flair.

Let the squash “noodles” cool off for a bit. Take a large casserole dish or deep pan. Again, spray it down, or use some parchment paper. Time to build!

Make a layer of squash at the bottom. Then add layers of tomato sauce, cottage cheese, meat, and mozzarella. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in that order. Repeat this step, adding another layer of squash and then everything else on top.

Put some foil of the top and put it back in the over for like 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.

You’re done! Enjoy one of the best meals you’ll ever have. Easily feeds like 3 or 4 people, or just keep it in the fridge and get a couple days worth of dinners out of it.

What was the inspiration for using the butternut squash as the replacement for the noodles in this healthed up lasagna? I have recently found butternut squash, thanks to Chris, and this sounds like another great use for it.

sounds great, may do this for my hsm on the weekend :smiley:

Wolf - I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that you could use zucchini to replace the noodles, and I just figured I try it with the butternut. “It just came to me…”

I like that style of recipe creativity. Necessity, or foods about to go bad, is the mother of invention.

Made it on Sunday
used 2 pounds of 96% beef seasoned with parsley, oregano, basil and chili flakes, also used a mix of fat-free and part skim cheese. turned out great can’t even taste the squash. Was a lot easier than I expected and very filling.