Biotest

Butternut Squash 'Fries'

[center]Butternut Squash “Fries” [/center]
[center] [/center]
The Stuff

1 big butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into “steak fry” sized pieces

1/8 cup or so of coconut oil or olive oil (coconut preferred)

These spices: chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, powdered cayenne, salt and pepper, nutmeg

How to Make the Stuff

[center] [/center]

1. Preheat your oven to 425.

2. In a big bowl or freezer bag, add the “fries” and the coconut oil.

3. Now, I left the exact spice blend up to you. Generally speaking, you’ll want a lot of chili powder and a dash or two of everything else. Play with it. Figure out what you like best. Toss to coat evenly.

4. For easy clean-up, line a cookie pan with parchment paper, then toss on the fries in a single layer.

5. Bake for 20 minutes, flip fries, then bake for another 20 minutes or to your liking.

6. Put them in your mouth. Chew. Digest. Poop. Repeat.

As you can see my pics, I didn’t go for presentation here. Still, damn tasty. Try it!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/b/8/b835b_ORIG-DSCN2129.jpg

I must have been really hungry. Messy work here!

Much prettier work. (Thanks, Susan, for the pic!)

And here’s a “before” in case you’re not sure what to look for at the grocery store.

Looks great! Going to try these tonight.

Do you peel these suckers first? Skin seems to be pretty thick …

[quote]BradenW wrote:

Do you peel these suckers first? Skin seems to be pretty thick …[/quote]

Yes.

I’ll add that step to the recipe, sorry.

Can’t wait to give these a try this weekend.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]BradenW wrote:

Do you peel these suckers first? Skin seems to be pretty thick …[/quote]

Yes.

I’ll add that step to the recipe, sorry.
[/quote]

I think peeling these bastards should qualify as NEPA.

[quote]TorqIt wrote:

I think peeling these bastards should qualify as NEPA.[/quote]

Takes about 30 seconds… with the right tool.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Takes about 30 seconds… with the right tool. [/quote]
I think I maybe got a little to aggressive with my peeler - or it was poor quality - because I managed to break it. I just have to use one of my uber sharp knives now.

So do you keep your house warm enough for the coconut oil to be liquid? I think my place is right on the border - half the time I open the container it’s liquid. Otherwise, I have to heat it a little if I’m going to use it to coat something.

Good recipe regardless.

[quote]TorqIt wrote:

So do you keep your house warm enough for the coconut oil to be liquid? I think my place is right on the border - half the time I open the container it’s liquid. Otherwise, I have to heat it a little if I’m going to use it to coat something.

[/quote]

Same here: Solid in the winter, liquid in the summer.

I’m finishing up my second batch now. My first batch didn’t last long! I’ve been buying pre-cut butternut squash - much easier than cutting it up and I just have to throw it in the bag, spice 'em and up them in the oven.

do they end up being crunchy or soft?

[quote]jeffmyers4 wrote:
do they end up being crunchy or soft?[/quote]

Depends a lot on amount of oil used, size of cuts, and cooking time. Go thinner for crunchier.

I’ve had them come out both ways.

this one is going into production tonight. my wife and i are both excited to try this.

my coconut oil is solid bc the directions say to refrigerate it after opening, so ill have to let it sit out or nuke it for a bit so i can coat these delicious looking fries. im really excited to try this!

[quote]BARDUKE wrote:
this one is going into production tonight. my wife and i are both excited to try this.

my coconut oil is solid bc the directions say to refrigerate it after opening, so ill have to let it sit out or nuke it for a bit so i can coat these delicious looking fries. im really excited to try this![/quote]

Yes, coconut oil is tricky that way. Slightly cool in your house and it will be solid. Slightly warm and it’s pure liquid. (VERY tricky when you buy it in Pam-style spray cans like I do.)

Put the container in a sink of hot water for a few minutes and that should do it.

note to self Don’t use so much Chipotle Cayenne pepper… Can’t taste much when your tounge and lips are numb…

i need to stop looking at the pictures, im getting so hungry!

a pre prep question:

what is the easiest way to flip the fries? each one at a time or parchment paper over the top and flip the whole thing?

they’re in the oven right now…

[quote]BARDUKE wrote:
i need to stop looking at the pictures, im getting so hungry!

a pre prep question:

what is the easiest way to flip the fries? each one at a time or parchment paper over the top and flip the whole thing?[/quote]

With thick “steak fry” cuts, you can flip them with a fork individually. For thinner cuts, I just use a spatula. Not as precise, but I kinda like the crispy overdone ends you get sometimes.