Biotest

Butternut Pie

(Note: This one originally appeared in my <a href="http://velocity.t-nation.com/strength-training-blog/chris-shugart"target=“new”>LiveSpill, but I thought I’d post here for convenience.)

Last night I was thinking about the concepts of personal responsibility and self-reliance. Oddly enough, my mind turned to food.

Think about it: How is that we let strangers prepare most of our food? I mean, we’re all concerned about building muscle, losing fat, and maximizing health, right? Yet, most of the time we let other people decide exactly what goes down our gullets? We trust something that important to a stranger? To prepare your own food, at least most of the time, is the ultimate in self-reliance.

Then I thought, “Man, I sure would like to eat a whole damn pie right now and not get fat. In fact, I’d like to eat a whole damn pie and get sexier.”

So here’s what I did:

1) Scanned kitchen for pie stuff. Found the following:

A butternut squash
Bag of generic Splenda
Bag of chopped pecans
A couple pats of Smart Balance butter with omega-3s
Pumpkin pie spice blend (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves)
Unsweetened coconut flakes
Can of Spectrum coconut oil spray

This, I believed, could be the makings of a healthy, make-ya-sexy pie.

2) I pealed and de-seeded the butternut squash, cubed it, coated it in coconut oil and the spice blend, then placed it in a 425 degree oven on a parchment paper-covered pan. After 20 minutes or so, I flipped it and left it in there for another 15 to 20 minutes.

[center] [/center]

3) The smell made me want to eat if off the roasting pan, but since this wasn’t a “pie” yet, I held back (mostly.) I dumped the softened cubes into a big bowl, added Splenda (maybe a half-cup or so; don’t know, didn’t measure), and hit it with an electric mixer.

4) Crap, I still needed a crust. Grabbed a cast iron pan, put it on the heat, and added the butter and pecans. Mixed. Heated. Only ate a few pinches during the cooking process.

5) Now I needed a pie plate or something. Or did I? A cast iron pan is both cooking utensil and serving vessel. I made sure the pecans were spread evenly across the bottom, then poured in the butternut squash blend.

6) Found some unsweetened coconut flakes at the last minute and sprinkled some on. Returned to oven for a few minutes.

6.5) Stood there and marveled at the fact that I’d made a pie out of mostly vegetables and nuts. There was a brief moment of patting myself on the back.

[center] [/center]

7) I did not eat the whole damn thing as it turned out. A split it with my wife. As you can see by the pic, we started in on it before I remembered to take a picture of it. It was that good.

For the record, we both woke up this morning even sexier.

True story. – Chris

PS: Enjoy the recipe!

Looks good!

Made this pie today and I added some pumpkin & vanilla to the squash mixture. It is awesome, great stuff. Excellent recipe and pretty simple.

Made it this pie lastnight. It is very good. Love the idea that it is a pie of veggie and nuts. You wouldn’t know it. Great stuff. I also really like it because my wife doesn’t like the pumpkin type texture or flavor, which means that I then can eat the whole thing.

Oh and I just used almond flour for the crust because I did not have pecans. I just dusted the bottom of a pie pan with almond flour, added a little melted butter, stirred it with a fork, and pressed it down.

Missing one thing I think, maybe a dash of salt, but very very good even without it.

Made one last night, put vanilla Metabolic Drive in it and some almond milk. Put too much almond milk in in though, it was a little runny but still tasted great just had to eat it with a spoon, may or may not have eaten the whole thing…the girlfriend helped me with some of it