Biotest

Built for Bad Circuit Question

CT - currently on 4th day of the circuit and I’m loving it. I’m at a commercial gym and we have no dead-squat bar so I’m using the parallel grip trap deadlift bar, weighted dips, high pull, push press & weighted pull ups. I was shot today heading into the gym as my CNS just isn’t use to this level of effort even though I’m not a newbie and have been at it a while and use proper peri-workout nutrition.

I’ve completed a few of John Meadows programs too so the level of intensity isn’t the problem just the frequency of the compound movements I guess. That leads me to the first of my two questions …

Will I be better off to push through as I have been and hope I adapt quickly or scale back the weights a bit and see if that helps immediately?

Second question is related to the high pulls. I had so much shoulder pain today in my left shoulder that I had to stop all high pulls after the 3rd rep on the set of 4. I haven’t done high pulls very much in the past although I have experimented with them while trying to get better at the hang snatch. I probably went to heavy too quick and caused the inflammation but now I’m worried I could actually really injure myself if I continue with the high pulls at all. I hate this because this was one exercise I really was looking forward to because I really want that ‘yoked’ look you say is best achieved with the snatch grip high pulls in the article you did about the most bang for various lifts/body parts. Also part of why I chose weighted dips … Ie due being the best pec builder and I haven’t ever loved bench since really straining my right pec in college.

So my question is this … If I lose the high pull (which I’m guessing I should vs just lowering weight and seeing if I lose the pain over time) what would be the next best exercise to put in its place for my traps and rhomboids?

Thanks so much for your time … I know you’re a busy man and this isn’t feting you paid!

[quote]bellaroo1 wrote:
CT - currently on 4th day of the circuit and I’m loving it. I’m at a commercial gym and we have no dead-squat bar so I’m using the parallel grip trap deadlift bar, weighted dips, high pull, push press & weighted pull ups. I was shot today heading into the gym as my CNS just isn’t use to this level of effort even though I’m not a newbie and have been at it a while and use proper peri-workout nutrition.

I’ve completed a few of John Meadows programs too so the level of intensity isn’t the problem just the frequency of the compound movements I guess. That leads me to the first of my two questions …

Will I be better off to push through as I have been and hope I adapt quickly or scale back the weights a bit and see if that helps immediately?

Second question is related to the high pulls. I had so much shoulder pain today in my left shoulder that I had to stop all high pulls after the 3rd rep on the set of 4. I haven’t done high pulls very much in the past although I have experimented with them while trying to get better at the hang snatch. I probably went to heavy too quick and caused the inflammation but now I’m worried I could actually really injure myself if I continue with the high pulls at all. I hate this because this was one exercise I really was looking forward to because I really want that ‘yoked’ look you say is best achieved with the snatch grip high pulls in the article you did about the most bang for various lifts/body parts. Also part of why I chose weighted dips … Ie due being the best pec builder and I haven’t ever loved bench since really straining my right pec in college.

So my question is this … If I lose the high pull (which I’m guessing I should vs just lowering weight and seeing if I lose the pain over time) what would be the next best exercise to put in its place for my traps and rhomboids?

Thanks so much for your time … I know you’re a busy man and this isn’t feting you paid![/quote]

My first recommendation would be to keep the same frequency, but wave the intensity up and down. The best way to get your body used to high frequency work is to use a high frequency!

I would do…

Day 1. Heavy day … go close to your limit on the movements, should be around 82% x 5, 85% x 4, 87% x 3, 90% x 2, 92% x 1

Day 2. Moderate day…go slightly lighter 80% x 5, 82% x 4, 85% x 3, 87% x 2, 90% x 1

Day 3. Go light and focus on speed and technique 75% x 5, 77% x 4, 80% x 3, 82% x 2, 85% x 1

Day 4. Go lighter and focus on speed and technique 72% x 5, 75% x 4, 77% x 3, 80% x 2, 82% x 1

Day 5. Go maximal… shoot for max/near max weights for all the prescribed reps 85% x 5, 87% x 4, 90% x 3, 92% x 2, 95% x 1

As for high pull replacement, I would go with chest supported barbell row or Pendlay row