Biotest

Brain Candy Vs. Alpha GPC

I was wondering if the form of choline in Brain Candy is as effective as Alpha GPC at increasing power production. I assume as long as it increases choline levels to the extent of Alpha GPC, it would produce similar increases in force production?

I like Alpha GPC (which I take pre-training with a 200mg. caffeine tab), but Brain Candy also contains the Acetyl-L-Carnitine and N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine as well as caffeine–not to mention that Brain Candy is the BEST mood enhancer. With the new lower prices it makes it viable to swap the Alpha GPC for Brain Candy; so what’s the verdict?

Thanks,

Crowbar

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/gpc-fast-acting-shot"target=“new”>Alpha-GPC is a much better precursor to acetylcholine and, unlike choline, Alpha-GPC raises GH levels substantially. (Choline is actually a precursor to alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine.)

So, Alpha-GPC can’t really be replaced by Brain Candy to get the exact same effects, though there is some crossover effects from the choline which does help athletic performance and endurance.

Thanks, Chris. So, I have another question then: why does Brain Candy contain CDP choline rather than the alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine that’s in Alpha GPC? What exactly is the advantage to the CDP choline in Brain Candy?

I thought that the Brain Candy might be as effective of a choline precursor as the Alpha GPC, seeing that it has such pronounced effects on mood and cognition.

Also, wouldn’t the carnitine and especially the tyrosine help increase energy, strength and endurance during training?

The increase in GH production from the Alpha GPC is interesting, but unless there is some research showing that a transient doubling of GH levels actually translates into real world results, it only remains theoretically relevant.

Thanks,

Crowbar

Alpha GPC, CDP choline and centrophenoxine are probably the best choline sources, but they all have different additional properties. For Alpha GPC it’s the GH boost, centro removes lipofuscin and I can’t remember what CDP choline does specifically, but it does something :stuck_out_tongue:

So you could in theory use all three of them, partly as choline sources and partly for the secondary effects, timing them depending on the secondary effects.

Thanks, BiP. I’m just trying to figure out if the Alpha GPC is really that much more effective as a choline precusor (as Chris suggests), and thus the obvious choice as a pre-training aid do to its ability to increase force production, or if the CDP choline in Brain Candy along with the additional forms of carnitine and tyrosine make it as good, or better, a choice for pre-training in order to increase strength/force production.

Again, the increase in GH production form the Alpha GPC is interesting, but unless there is research to show that it translates to real world results, it just doesn’t seem that consequential to me.

Crowbar

Here’s something I found on Wiki:

Citicoline (INN), also known as cytidine diphosphate-choline (CDP-Choline) & cytidine 5’-diphosphocholine is a psychostimulant/nootropic. It is an intermediate in the generation of phosphatidylcholine from choline.

Studies suggest that CDP-choline supplements increase dopamine receptor densities,[1] and suggest that CDP-choline supplementation helps prevent memory impairment resulting from poor environmental conditions.[2] Preliminary research has found that citicoline supplements help improve focus and mental energy and may possibly be useful in the treatment of attention deficit disorder.[3][4] Citicoline has also been shown to elevate ACTH independently from CRH levels and to amplify the release of other HPA axis hormones such as LH, FSH, GH and TSH in response to hypothalamic releasing factors.[5] These effects on HPA hormone levels may be beneficial for some individuals but may have undesirable effects in those with medical conditions featuring ACTH or cortisol hypersecretion including, but not limited to, PCOS, type II diabetes and major depressive disorder.[6][7]

Apparently, CDP choline increases GH secretion also, as well as increasing glucose metabolism, blood flow, and dopamine receptor density in the brain! No wonder it’s such an effective mood enhancer!

CDP Choline also helps enhance the signalling of many receptors such as the acetylcholine, norepinephrine, and dopamine.

Crowbar

Give this info I’m finding it hard to see Alpha GPC as the better choice. It seems that CDP choline does all that Alpha GPC does, and then some!

Crowbar

Has anyone else compared Alpha-GPC (with or without a caffeine tab) to Brain Candy, specifically as a pre-training supplement?

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
Has anyone else compared Alpha-GPC (with or without a caffeine tab) to Brain Candy, specifically as a pre-training supplement?

Crowbar[/quote]

I train in the evening, Brain Candy in the A, Alpha-GPC n the evening. I’ve done brain candy pre workout numerous times. Alpha-GPC is hands down the better for pre workout from what I’ve experienced. My explosiveness seems much better with Alpha-GPC versus just Brain Candy pre workout.

Corstijeir, thanks for the reply. It’s been some time, but I’ve used Brain Candy pre-training also. It looks like I’ll have to go back and experiment as I can’t honestly say I remember how Brain Candy compares to Alpha-GPC. I cut out the Brain Candy not because it wasn’t effective for me as a pre-training supplement, but rather as a cost saving measure so I could focus on other staples. I have to say I like the forms of carnitine and tyrosine in Brain candy and believe these additional ingredients could have ergogenic and body comp effects. The CDP choline is also particularly effective as a mood enhancer and decreases appetite. All of which make Brain candy a very effective aid in fat loss. The additional increase in training intensity from Brain candy also aids in body comp changes…so, I’m not sure.

I suppose I could just add Brain Candy and use it as you do in the AM, with Alpha-GPC pre-training, but I really wanted to take advantage of the price drops in order to save some money, not spend more!

Crowbar

just thinking out loud here in terms of Alpha-GPC and its use for pre-workout and/or sleep. If it activates the parasympathetic nervous system and releases GABA, wouldn’t that have a counterproductive effect on exercise intensity (scientifically speaking)? Seems like it would be good before sleep, though.