Biotest

Brain Candy and Sleep

Hi Chris,

I’m a big fan of Brain Candy and all of it’s many benefits, it’s given me focus that I’ve never had before and put me in a better place mentally too. My only issue is that when it’s time for bed I’m still so focused that it’s hard to shut my mind off if you know what I mean. I can’t stop thinking deeply about anything and everything. Have you or has anyone else experienced this and if so how were you able to overcome it? As a result I’ve only used Brain Candy on an occasional basis when I’m going to have a busy day at work.

Do you think being more consistent and using on a daily basis would actually help me grow accustomed to it and as a result sleep better? What about switching to the Caffeine free version, has that helped anyone else? I’m a big coffee drinker and quite used to large amounts of caffeine so I’m thinking this isn’t the issue. Although I wonder if the caffeine in conjunction with the other ingredients could be the issue.

Anyone’s input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Glad you like to effects of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/brain-candy"target=“new”>Brain Candy!

When are you taking it exactly? We recommend taking it in the AM, usually upon waking or soon after, before breakfast. This will give you a full day of benefits, but the stimulatory components should be worn off before bed.

Also, are you consuming caffeine later in the day, say, after the typical morning intake? If so, you may want to cut off the caffeine by 2 or 3PM. This could be what’s leading to you restless mind, rather than the Brain Candy itself.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/brain-candy-caffiene-free"target=“new”>Brain Candy Caffeine Free could be a good option for you, especially if you already consume caffeine in other forms during the day. We normally don’t recommend other stimulating foods or products be used in conjunction with Brain Candy.

Lastly, if it turns out to be something other than Brain Candy or coffee, consider <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12, which can not only help you get a deeper, more restful sleep, it can also help you relax and “quite the restless mind” that keeps many busy, productive people from getting into a good pre-sleep state.

Chris,

Thanks so much for the quick reply, your insight is much appreciated!

When I take Brain Candy it’s immediately upon waking and then I refrain from taking any other caffeinated beverages. Perhaps I’m just more sensitive to Brain Candy’s affects than others? I will definitely give Z-12 a try. Do you recommend starting with the recommended dosage or should I see if a smaller dose works and then increase the dosage if necessary?

I’m already taking ElitePro Minerals and it has improved my overall quality of sleep tremendously. Would there be any problem taking Z-12 in conjunction with ElitePro Minerals at bedtime? Also if quality sleep is my priority do you recommend ZMA or ElitePro Minerals? I’ve used ZMA before and I’m not positive about this but it may have induced sleepiness more than ElitePro Minerals does.

Thanks for your time Chris!

You could just be very sensitive to Brain Candy. Caffeine-free may be worth a shot. A few people have also reported buying both, then drinking half of a regular Brain Candy and half of a caffeine-free. This gives them the full benefits of Brain Candy but cuts the caffeine essentially in half. Just measure carefully.

With <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12, most people do best with 2 capsules. Some get the effects they want with just one, and a few prefer 3 capsules, but 2 is a good starting point.

A Z-12 tip: if you normally eat before bed, take Z-12 first so it can get started on its job quickly. Taking it on a full stomach may slow its effects. It will still work well, but could take a little longer to “kick in.”

Z-12 can be used in conjunction with ZMA or Elitepro Minerals.

The positive sleep benefits of both ZMA and Elitepro Minerals comes from the magnesium, which both share. So in that regard, both are about equal when it comes to more restful sleep.

D,

I’ve outlined my complete experiment with Original and Caffeine-Free Brain Candy here:
Original: adriancrowe.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/the-brain-candy-experiment-part-2/
Caffeine Free: adriancrowe.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/the-caffeine-free-brain-candy-experiment/

Of note would be the measured effects on sleep (for me) in both circumstances. I measured total sleep, REM sleep, times woken per night, etc for both.

Personally, I don’t even mess with Original Brain Candy anymore. I’m far too caffeine sensitive in terms of adrenal fatigue. Instead I only have my stimulants pre-workout.
That said, me without Caffeine-Free Brain Candy is a disaster.

It may sound uber cliche but I’m the best of myself and quite simply a much better person thanks to Caffeine-Free Brain Candy. I will never go without (I keep experimenting every couple of months to see if I can get away from it by going off for a couple weeks; nope; it’s always a disaster!)

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
You could just be very sensitive to Brain Candy. Caffeine-free may be worth a shot. A few people have also reported buying both, then drinking half of a regular Brain Candy and half of a caffeine-free. This gives them the full benefits of Brain Candy but cuts the caffeine essentially in half. Just measure carefully.

With <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12, most people do best with 2 capsules. Some get the effects they want with just one, and a few prefer 3 capsules, but 2 is a good starting point.

A Z-12 tip: if you normally eat before bed, take Z-12 first so it can get started on its job quickly. Taking it on a full stomach may slow its effects. It will still work well, but could take a little longer to “kick in.”

Z-12 can be used in conjunction with ZMA or Elitepro Minerals.

The positive sleep benefits of both ZMA and Elitepro Minerals comes from the magnesium, which both share. So in that regard, both are about equal when it comes to more restful sleep. [/quote]

I would HIGHLY agree with Chris’ recomendation for ElitePro minerals or ZMA for sleep. Z-12, personally leaves me far too groggy.

Also, I have experimented A LOT with taking the Original and Caffeine-Free Brain Candy and mixing to create lower levels of caffeine. I’ve done both 1/2 a bottle of each (so effectively getting 150mg of caffeine) and I’ve also done 1/3 bottle Original Brain Candy + 2/3 bottle Caffeine-Free Brain Candy (taking it down further to 100mg caffiene).

In both circumstances (ran both for 3 weeks each) IMO the caffiene is of zero benefit to Brain Candy. I simply prefer Caffeine-Free Brain Candy exclusively. If you want caffeine there are 100 million other sources one could attain it from and kept >4hrs away from Brain Candy seems to keep Brain Candy’s effect clear all day long while caffeine’s effects erode after a few hours.

Chris and Adrian, thanks so much for all of your insight! I think I will defiinitely try the caffeine free version of Brain Candy and see if that improves my sleep. Adrian, your website’s account of your Brain Candy experience has been hugely helpful, thanks for sharing!