Biotest

Bodybuilder Jell-O

As boys we enjoyed the wiggly-cool goodness of Jell-O gelatin.

As men, we still enjoy Jell-O, though mostly as wrestling medium for young women trying desperately to pay off their student loans.

As physique athletes, sugar-free gelatin means we can eat something sweet and dessert-like on a reduced-carb plan for about 10 calories a serving.

So here’s a new idea for you: high-protein gelatin.

[center]Bodybuilder Jell-O[/center]
Ingredients

1 standard-sized package of sugar-free Jell-O or generic equivalent
Protein powder (Metabolic Drive Low-Carb, Complete, or Grow! Whey)
Fat-free whipped cream (optional)

Directions

1. Make the gelatin according to package directions.

2. Add protein powder before you refrigerate it. Whisk.

3. Chill for a few hours in bowls. Or if you’re a fancy fucker like me, use adult beverage glasses. (Hey, I was trying to impress a low-carbin’ dinner date, okay?)

4. Top with a shot of fat-free whip cream.

5. Get college girls to wrestle in it. Or I suppose you could just eat it.

How much protein? I’ve used a scoop and a half of Metabolic Drive Muscle Growth Formula and 1 scoop of MD Low-Carb, but play around with it. I’d like to see how much we can fit in there and it still be “jello.” And while I haven’t tried it yet, I think <a href="http://www.tmuscle.com/productInfo.do?id=1067084"target=“new”>Grow! Premium Whey may work even better.

Vanilla protein powder works well with orange, lime, and other flavors. I’ve also used strawberry Metabolic Drive with strawberry gelatin. Tons of options.

Simple, easy, and great for a hot summer day. Or a sleazy winter night. Enjoy.

Strawberry.

Got a little separation in this batch, but that was actually kinda cool texturally, so no worries.

Sexy action photos!

Okay, you guys play around with the protein amount and we’ll figure out exactly how much we can get in there.

Enjoy.

Oh this is a GREAT idea!

I have already experimented with protein powder hot chocolate. Still trying to work out whether it’s good for me as I have a dairy allergy, but it seems capricious. Excellent for cold weather though!

Certainly fruit puree into your genius dish above would make it even tastier, though probably not as low in calories or carbs. Care to comment on the addition of fruit to the above?

Also, I was wondering - you talk a lot about Splenda, and I have seen it in the supermarkets.
I have been working on getting used to stevia (sweet herb, balances blood sugar) as a sweetener on the occasion that I want to add a sweetener to coffee or tea.
Have you compared Stevia to Splenda at all? I guess I’m worried abotu the whole aspartame issue with Splenda, although this may seem paranoid.

Please comment.

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:
Oh this is a GREAT idea!

I have already experimented with protein powder hot chocolate. Still trying to work out whether it’s good for me as I have a dairy allergy, but it seems capricious. Excellent for cold weather though!

Certainly fruit puree into your genius dish above would make it even tastier, though probably not as low in calories or carbs. Care to comment on the addition of fruit to the above?

Also, I was wondering - you talk a lot about Splenda, and I have seen it in the supermarkets.
I have been working on getting used to stevia (sweet herb, balances blood sugar) as a sweetener on the occasion that I want to add a sweetener to coffee or tea.
Have you compared Stevia to Splenda at all? I guess I’m worried abotu the whole aspartame issue with Splenda, although this may seem paranoid.

Please comment.
[/quote]

1. If the addition of fruit fits into your immediate diet goals, go for it.

2. Well, Splenda is not aspartame. And while all artificial sweeteners have had some studies done on them that make them seem “iffy,” most of these involved using huge amounts that no human could ever ingest. (And some of the “bad” studies were funded by the sugar industry, which makes me suspicious.) In short, I don’t worry about Spenda at all. And by the way, do some looking around and you’ll find negative studies on stevia as well. I don’t use it myself.

funny you should suggest this, i have been including jello pwo for the gelatin content. i may have to try this.

have you been adventurous and tried chocolate powder with strawberry or something like that? chocolate goes well with several fruits; i would be curious how that would turn out.

edit: also, have you tried replacing half of the water with club soda? its pretty spectacular.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
'nuffsaid wrote:
Oh this is a GREAT idea!

Please comment.

1. If the addition of fruit fits into your immediate diet goals, go for it.

2. Well, Splenda is not aspartame. And while all artificial sweeteners have had some studies done on them that make them seem “iffy,” most of these involved using huge amounts that no human could ever ingest. (And some of the “bad” studies were funded by the sugar industry, which makes me suspicious.) In short, I don’t worry about Spenda at all. And by the way, do some looking around and you’ll find negative studies on stevia as well. I don’t use it myself.

[/quote]

Aha! Thanks for that. And for your rapid answer. :slight_smile:

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:
funny you should suggest this, i have been including jello pwo for the gelatin content. i may have to try this.

have you been adventurous and tried chocolate powder with strawberry or something like that? chocolate goes well with several fruits; i would be curious how that would turn out.

edit: also, have you tried replacing half of the water with club soda? its pretty spectacular.[/quote]

Haven’t tried those yet, but they sound pretty darn good! Thanks!

Chris, what is the texture like of the jelly after you add the protein? I can imagine it tasting a bit weird, although if you say it’s good i will give it a try one day.

[quote]andrewe123 wrote:
Chris, what is the texture like of the jelly after you add the protein? I can imagine it tasting a bit weird, although if you say it’s good i will give it a try one day.[/quote]

It’s different that straight jello, creamy, thicker, but good. Give it a shot!

I like to freeze SF jello (snack paks or mix) and let it sit at room temp for about 10 minutes. Like eating one of those frozen water ices, with no sugar or sugar alcohols. Not sure how it would work with the protein, ill have to try it.

[quote]Sombra De Bestia wrote:
I like to freeze SF jello (snack paks or mix) and let it sit at room temp for about 10 minutes. Like eating one of those frozen water ices, with no sugar or sugar alcohols. Not sure how it would work with the protein, ill have to try it.[/quote]

You know, I remember doing that as a kid now. Will have to try it with the protein powder added.

Adding a crumbled sugar-free cookie to the bottom of the cup is also pretty good. It gives just enough “crunch” at the bottom to resemble a crust, but with only a few extra calories.

Tried this with the sugar free jello pudding a few times just to see how well it would work and there is a fine line you walk trying to add enough protein without sacrificing the consistency. 2 scoops with 1 box unfortunately puts it over the edge, but I’m thinking that the jello gelatin might keep its form a little better. I haven’t tried the sugar free cooked method yet, but I think the saturation limit on the protein might be higher with a little heat.

If made right no one should be able to tell the difference.

Does this mean that you’re working on a recipe for protein jello shots Chris? Would you happen to know how the gelatin would interact with protein absorption speed and would it be possible to concoct pre/post workout mixes with these? I think that would be useful in the recent workout nutrition “pulsing” posts that CT has put up and the just the amount of liquid that must be consumed before the workout.

I loved the bonbons, now I’m gonna try this. Thanks, Chris.

Ok, I tried this last night with…um, let’s say ‘mixed’ results. I live in England and don’t use Biotest products (too expensive to import them), but I use a good online UK source and so I used 2 scoops of their unflavoured whey powder (I only have unflavoured and chocolate mint at the minute).

I also used Weight Watcher’s strawberry & raspberry sugar-free jelly crystals (the only gelatine-free jelly I could find- I don’t eat meat), and followed the recipe, as instructed. Except that I didn’t use a hand whisk. Oh, no. Being the lazy bast that I am, I used an electric whisk. Which meant that my ‘jelly’ had a lot of frothy bubbles on the top and ended up more as a blancmange. The result was a fairly bland blancmange that needed quite a bit of squirty cream to make it tasty.

However, in future I will use a vanilla/strawberry protein powder and I expect a delicious strawberry blancmange at the end.

Just thought I’d pass my experience on for those who fancy a change from jelly- use an electric whisk and you’ll make a blancmange instead! :o)

Thanks Chris!

This worked out quite well, this is what I did:

-Box Sugar free Orange Jello

-Pure Vanilla Extract

-Pure Orange extract

-10G leucine

-52G (41 actual grams protein) 50% concentrate, 25% Isolate, 25% hydrolyzed unflavored and unsweetened.

-95% fat free cool whip

So what I did was 1 boiling cup of water; Dissolve the gelatin. Then I added 1 cup of colder water. Next I added 1 little cap of pure vanilla. Got an excellent “creamsicle” taste. Then I mixed in 2 scoops of Whey AND 10G of leucine. “Whisked” it with a fork lol.

Re-tasted and it was slightly bitter. Added 1 packet of sweetner and 1 more cap of Vanilla AND 1 cap of Orange extract.

Next I added 6 tablespoons of Cool whip right into the gelatin and mixed it in. I purposely left it lumpy.

Dived into two larger wine glasses.

Put into the freezer for 1 hour.

The result was a really creamy creamsicle dessert. Even with all that protein it was good! The GF liked it as well.

The cool whip mixed in with the Jello was key. I left it a little chunky so it rose to the top but enough was mixed into the jello that it had a very creamy texture.

Cals and nutritional info Per serving - Made 2:

Total Cals - 161
Protein - 28g (21g whey, 5G leucine, 2g from the jell-o)
Fat - 2.5g (1.5g sat)
carbs - 6.5g (2g sugars)

Great little dessert. Next time I’m going to play around with some flavoured protein like Metabolic Drive.

As well I might just skip the cool whip and total carbs would be 1.5g. Or throw a small dollop on the top and it’d be like 4.

All in all Excellent “dessert” for cutting!