Biotest

BLW's V-log

First post. Getting prepared to start the Velocity program. Ordered some supplements. Changed the auto-generated shopping list by reducing quantity of Metabolic Drive to 4 for now (will order more later), adding Receptormax & Rez-V (already have ZMA & HOT-ROX Extreme). Trying to take advantage of what quantity discounts do exist, e.g., also ordered 1 extra Superfood, but 1 less Surge.

Flameout? Inflammation Scavenger, 90 softgels 1 $29.95
L-Leucine, 450 g (15.8 oz) 2 $45.00
Metabolic Drive? Low-Carb MRP Flavor: Chocolate 2 $60.00
Metabolic Drive? Low-Carb MRP Flavor: Vanilla 2 $60.00
Biotest® Superfood - 140 g (28 servings) 2 $69.00
Surge Post-Workout Recovery Drink, 16 servings Flavor: Original 1 $36.00
Receptormax?, 90 capsules 1 $47.00
REZ-V? Anti-Estrogen / Testosterone-Support, 60 capsules 1 $39.95

I used the free shipping, even though I want to get started immediately. At least this way, I have the coming week to truly prepare and get psyched up to start the program.

Hmm, birdman did the exact same thing as you are now, and ran out of protein by friday, so he has none for the weekend before his next shipment gets in on monday… beware!

I know you want to try the flavors of MD before you buy up, so maybe try each one on the first day and then order that night… get the overnight shipping if you have to, but make sure they get there on time :smiley:

Just trying to help, here is a link to birdman’s post

[quote]canaduke wrote:
Hmm, birdman did the exact same thing as you are now, and ran out of protein by friday, so he has none for the weekend before his next shipment gets in on monday… beware!

I know you want to try the flavors of MD before you buy up, so maybe try each one on the first day and then order that night… get the overnight shipping if you have to, but make sure they get there on time :smiley:

Just trying to help, here is a link to birdman’s post

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity/well_i_screwed_up_help [/quote]

Thanks for the warning. I will place the next order a few days before starting the program, so it will arrive soon enough.

03/01/09

Height 5’7"
Weight 204
Neck 16 - 19-1/2"
Shoulders 49-1/2"
Chest - Upper 48-3/4" flexed, 46" relaxed
Chest - Lower 42"
Waist - at Navel 44-3/4"
Waist - at largest same
Hips - at largest 42-1/4"
Upper Arm - L 15"
Upper Arm - R 15-1/4"
Upper Leg - L 25"
Upper Leg - R 25"
Lower Leg - L 14-1/2"
Lower Leg - R 15"
Ankle - L 8"
Ankle - R 8-1/4"
Body Fat % 22.9"

Caveat: Initial measurements were taken 8 days before diet began. Not much changed, so I don’t think this really matters.

Starting tomorrow. I’m glad I prepared a week ago, because I don’t have time to do all the preparation this weekend. I bought a blender bottle. I have to have 2 supplies - 1 at home & 1 at work. I’m now in the process of planning tomorrow’s meals & supplements, so I’ll have everything I need at work as well as at home.

Another question has come up, that is what is a serving of milled flaxseed? I bought it at a farmer’s market type store (Sprouts), and I have no idea what a serving is, or how to measure it. If it is 13 g, then I need to figure out how to measure that. … After further surfing, I’m going to guess 2 tablespoons.

Started the program. Woke up after midnight & took ZMA. Woke up again at about 5:50 & took HOT-ROX Extreme with water, then worked out. Then mixed the Surge & ended up with 3 glasses because of all the foam. Daughter then challenged me to a chugging contest & questioned my manhood as to not being able to chug 3 glasses quickly after a workout & early in the morning.

Then mixed breakfast shake & put it in the freezer. Got ready for work, & took shake out of the freezer & brought it with a straw to drink on the long drive to work. Gathered up supplements & shake mix for drive to work.

Realized I should have bought more than 1 blender bottle, so I didn’t have to do that. I will now buy 4 more blener bottles so I can just put powders into them, mark which meal they are for, and then when it comes time, just add water & shake. Sounds simple, but didn’t realize how to do it until I actually started the program.

Also found that scoop was missing from one Superfood container, so had to improvise. Now it is already time for lunch, but I am not even hungry. Will take the long walk tonight.

Congrats on getting started man… Sounds like you got a good plan!

Welcome aboard!

1. A real blender beats the snot out of any shaker bottle since it allows for the use of ice. Gives it a real milkshake texture.

2. Yes, as another V-Dieter said, half-ordering supplements often leads to an epic fail.

3. Make sure those flax seeds are milled - i.e. ground up. And yes, a serving is typically two tablespoons.

4. I’ll bet you a shiny new quarter that your Superfood scoop is in there. Just dig for it with a spoon.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

1. A real blender beats the snot out of any shaker bottle since it allows for the use of ice. Gives it a real milkshake texture.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I had already decided to start using the water out of the water cooler instead of the refrigerator. The extra coldness makes a big difference. I’ll start adding ice, like I have in the past. It is so easy to forget basics sometimes.

I had already discovered that I can’t put the powder in first. Has to be the water first, to prevent clumping. So I went to Target & got the 4 oz. disposable Glad tupperware-style containers, which are on sale. A lady at the Vitamin Shoppe had suggested using the containers used to pre-measure baby formula, but I resisted my urge to regress and got the Glad containers instead.

blw3… Good Luck!

I am on day 15 and livin’ the dream! Dropped 14 lbs in the first 14 days. Looking forward to the 2nd half of the diet days.

keep it up blw! Lookin forward to your updates all the time.

Monday: Did the workout at 5:30 a.m. with a neighbor who comes over to my garage gym. Walked for an hour at 7:00 p.m., stuck to the diet plan.

Tuesday: Walked for an hour at 5:30 a.m. Added a forearm wrist curler exercise because it is part of a longer term and rehab forearm project, & didn’t figure it would interfere much. Stuck to the diet plan, but it is wreaking havoc on my gastro-intestinal system. Hoping to get past that, knowing it will be worth it. After work, missed my usual margarita & chips. Too bad. Came home & mowed the yard with an old-fashioned push reel mower as my evening non-physical exercise. Still no problems with hunger, but the intestinal system is horrible. I may cut back on the fiber tablets.

Wednesday: Today was much better without the fiber tablets. Yesterday was horrible. Bought a blender for the office, & took premeasured portions to work. Worked well.

Did the 2nd workout. Romanian deadlifts are an annoyance, as I am used to stiff leg deadlifts, standing on a box for full stretch, using 315 lbs for 8 reps (ok, it is down to 7 reps now that I’m 48). They seem unnatural … especially with the “push your hips back so your torso bends forward at the hips.” Sounds like something Richard Simmons would say … and do. Sounds more Greek than Roman. I know some people are afraid of stiff-leg deadlifts, or just think they are dangerous. But again, I’m 48 & have been doing them for at least a quarter of a century without any problem. However, the heavy weight doesn’t fit into a 40 rep program.

The rest of the workout was good. Then at night, since it is cold & raining, walked for an hour in the mall. I’m afraid I might be turning into my parents. I don’t know what is scarier, that or the teenager & lady mall rats.

Last night, had 1st HSM. Went to Japanese steakhouse. Spent too much, but it was good and healthy.

Did the V-Burn challenge today. As I understand it, the 7 circuits are supposed to be completed back to back? There is no possible way. In fact, each circuit had me completely winded. 1st circuit took 4:25 to do the 1st circuit, then 2:06 to do the 5th circuit, but the 7th circuit was killer. Took 8 minutes, then went to upchuck. Alternated circuits with workout partner.

Day 7: Yesterday was hard. Depressing after such a great HSM. Today has been even harder. So far, I have stuck with both the diet and the training program.

Mistakes include having a Surge drink after the first V-challenge workout, not using heavy enough weight on some exercises, mainly the ones I’m not used to or the ones where I’m worried about messing up my left shoulder more, and not keeping the Flameout refrigerated.

Other than those, I have stuck with the program. For the first time in I don’t remember how long, I can see the beginning of a concave depression under my sternum. I’m having to harness the power of anger to motivate me not to cheat. I realize my fat started to accumulate 15 years ago, when my first wife left me.

Realizing that the fat is truly a result of ex-wives screwing up my life, is enough to make me angry at the cause, and hold on to the key I have in my hand as the cure. I think this thing is really going to happen.

You wrote some wonderful, helpful tips, it is much appreciated.

Hang in there, you have got one week down, do not let depression deter you. You can do it! Stay strong, get pissed, take more pictures, do whatever it takes to get through.

Your writing has helped me today, write some more for those that are struggling.

Thanks,
Donna

[quote]D0NNA wrote:
Hang in there, you have got one week down, do not let depression deter you. You can do it! Stay strong, get pissed, take more pictures, do whatever it takes to get through.[/quote]

Thanks Donna, one day at a time, right?

Day 8: Made it through the weekend. It seems the weekdays are so much easier than the weekend, because weekends are made for relaxing, which includes enjoying a big meal and beer or margaritas. Big change. No fun. But made it, and can see the results after just 1 week. Now for week 2. Starting to get rid of the belly. No fun. But staying busy during the week will help.

Woke up, took HOT-ROX, then mixed post-work out drink & put it in fridge to let foam die down. Worked out at 5:30 a.m. brought drink out of fridge, & sipped on it as well as water during workout, then finished it immediately after workout. As I did 2x last week, added in 3 sets of wrist curls. Didn’t want to give that up during the diet, & figured forearms 2x week wouldn’t be much interference.

Started as tendonitis rehab, but has evolved into much more than that. During the V-Diet workout, did much better than last Monday. Added weight & worked on form. Good start for week 2.

Day 8 update: It is now really hard to be satisfied with just the MRP’s. It was still easier the 1st week than today. This morning, weighed 201, which is still 3 lbs. less than the starting weight, but I’m looking for better results. Went on the 1 hr. NEPA walk. The premeasured no brainer plan is critical at this point. I can appreciate the approach taken.

Starting to see much more definition of the calves. That’s nice. Even veins. A few days ago started noticing more definition of the chest & the lats.

I have decided to change the HSM from Friday night to either Saturday lunch or Sunday lunch. Probably after the V-Burn challenge. Should be much better than having to do the V-Burn after a good meal the night before. Also should provide some extra motivation for the V-Burn.

Day 9: Much better than days 7 & 8. Got a second wind. Psyched up. Weighed 199.2, which means I dipped below the 200 mark again. I understand the weight doesn’t count argument … it’s the excuse I used to eat what I wanted to eat. Now on the V-Diet, I expect and demand the weight drop. Still starting to see the results.

Received the 2nd shipment from Biotest. On Tuesday as promised.

Did the 1 hour NEPA walk in the morning & a 1 hour lawn mowing with a reel mower in the evening.

Timing of shakes was a good 2 hours late all day, but still spread out enough. I need to make a schedule to coordinate all the various supplements.

Learned a lesson today. Measure the mixes the night before, so no rush to do it in the morning. Also, take lunch, snack & dinner mixes every day, in case I am delayed in returning home. Take all supplements needed also. In fact, put mixes in Glad disposable containers, & put those in Ziplock bags, labeled which meal they are for Have other Ziplock bags with supplements & timing written on them (e.g., 30 minutes before afternoon snack). Sounds remedial, but I have a really hard time coordinating everything.