Biotest

Blast & Dust: PL'er Attempts to Fit Into Singlet

What’s up everybody? Does anyone actually complete the V-Diet anymore? Why are the number of posts in other peoples’ threads offering encouragement so few and far between nowadays? Where are all the fatties at?

Inquiring minds want to know!

So as the thread title suggests, I am a powerlifter (or maybe just a wannabe since I’ve only competed once?) and want to shed some fat from my summer/fall/winter strength phase. I actually do fit into my singlet, and while it may not be a pretty sight, I have made some pretty decent progress over this time with regards to strength (IMO).

When I do things, I like to go balls to the wall and focus intently on that and nothing else. When I diet, I fucking diet. When I bulk, I fucking bulk. I don’t like to pussy foot around and waste my time with the “slow and steady” approach. I like to “Blast, Dust, Repeat” (Dave Tate mantra. If you don’t know who Dave Tate is, you probably won’t enjoy my log).

V-Diet starts Sunday 21 March. Pics and measurements to follow later on in the week. Strap in and hold on.

Full Background:

I did the V-Diet this time last year and went from 250 lbs or so down to 232 by the end of transition. That pic is my before and after. I had been out of the gym for 5 years and had let myself go straight down the shitter. I wasn’t happy with how I looked, felt, or performed, so I decided to grab the bull by the horns and do something about it. I dropped 15 lbs or so before starting V-Diet (265–>250) just from doing cardio due to a rib injury and cleaning up my diet a bit, and kicked it into high gear throughout the 42 day period. My original V-Diet log is located here:

I’m not sure what my bodyfat got down to, but it was in the low teens. I was losing fat at a great rate, but like anybody that used to be fat and started shedding the pounds, I actually realized just how little muscle mass I had underneath all those warm layers (they call that “skinny fat” here at tmuscle). I had plans to get hawt ript abz for the summer, but once I realized just how small I actually was, I immediately aborted and started eating heavy and lifting heavier.

Started Rippetoe’s “Starting Strength” program in June '09 and did that for about 13 weeks. My lifts improved significantly (lots of muscle memory gains) but squatting 3 days a week finally took its toll on my general workout attitude and motivation. I couldn’t do any conditioning because my legs were always sore, so I stopped Starting Strength and moved on to 5-3-1.

Let me tell you that 5-3-1 is by far the best strength program I’ve ever used, and that includes Division 1 strength training programs. Starting lifts as of 1 September were:

Bench: 310
Squat: 425
Deadlift: 405
Overhead Press: 170

Calculated 1RM’s are now

Squat: 480 [+55]
Bench: 364 [+54]
Deadlift: 480 [+75]
Overhead Press: 212 [+42]

Back in October I decided to do a PL meet to gauge my progress and keep me motivated to hitting higher PR’s (and to keep consistent with a training program). I decided to do the Brute Strength Classic in Norfolk, VA mid-February 2010. I put up a 1,300 lb total with a 500 squat, 335 bench, and 465 DL, and won my 275# weight class. It was a fun experience and I definitely wanna keep up at the PL game once I shed these unwanted bulk pounds. Here is my video from the meet (I whore it every chance I get):

So that’s that. This was my first real bulk and I put on 43 lbs or so from May to February of this year. A good majority of that was LBM, but definitely some unwanted fat gains as my diet wasn’t exactly clean. I was clean for the first part and slowly loosened up my meal selections. Strength gains were good, but now its time to shed the fat, get a handle back on my diet, improve my insulin sensitivity, and then move forward on my quest for strength.

tl;dr Background (for those of you that like bullet points):

-Did V-Diet last year (250–>232)
-Was “skinny-fat”
-Did Starting Strength, good gains
-Did 5-3-1, great gains
-Bulk went well (232–>275)
-Now time to cut fat!

Lets do this shit!!

[photo]27365[/photo]

[photo]27366[/photo]

[photo]27368[/photo]

Well it looks like my first V-Diet (Round 2) post was a failure since I forgot to attach my before/after pics from last V-Diet. Let’s see if I can do this again. These are the 1 month pictures. I never got around to taking them after the transition, though I wish I had. I think I lost about 8 more lbs during transition.

Stats:

Height: 6’5" (this probably won’t change throughout the diet)
Weight: 270.6 (this will)
BF%: 19.1% (my g/f measured this the other day, I think it’s probably high, but we’ll see)
Biceps: 17.0
Chest: 49.25
Stomach (navel): 44.75
Stomach (widest): 44.75
Above hips: 41.0
Quads: 25.00

These are the only measurements I took because they’re the only ones I really care about and have been tracking for the past year. My measurement errors are all over the place, but it doesn’t matter. The truth will be in the pics (coming soon).

Also, I’m trying to get my BF tested in a bod pod between now and Sunday. I work for the Navy and I think I can get it done for free at the Pentagon, so I’m going to try that out next Monday if I can’t find anything cheap between now and then.

best of luck mate, great vid by the way.

Since you are on your second vdiet, perhaps you could provide a little more insight into your metal state/preparation when it comes to tis diet. I find such information is very beneficial to people just starting out. I did my first vdiet last summer. Lost 20 pounds.

Ill check in often

understatement

Looking at those pics, I really only recognize you from the tats. Maybe it’s partially the hair that is distracting also, but your mas has changed SO much over the last year(ish). I can’t wait for you to start…and stop bragging about eating steak, lobster, and drinking beer on this here St. Pattys day.

And, don’t worry, I’ll encourage your sensitive little soul throughout the diet :stuck_out_tongue:

I am just gonna throw this out there…yes people complete it!!! Lost 28 pounds in Nov 2008 and I am currently on day 12 of my second go around and hopefully finishing puts me in rare company of those who have been stupid enough to do it twice!!!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Why are the number of posts in other peoples’ threads offering encouragement so few and far between nowadays?
[/quote]

hahahahahahaha

You’re currently drinking heavily, you deserve that

@DB: Thanks! PL’ing is a lot of fun. I can’t wait to get through this so I can get back into it.

Good thinkin on the advice. I will definitely try to help people that are making an effort to help themselves. I think the best advice for this mentally is: just fucking do it. You have the entire plan laid out for you, and there are absolutely no ambiguities in how it is supposed to be done. Its not easy, but its simple, if ya know what I’m sayin. Also, know that sometimes you’re gonna want to just quit. You need to be prepared for that and have mitigation plan in place (I prefer green tea, but am also going to play around with some of the shake flavorings this time around, maybe make some MD cookies, etc.). But basically, “ain’t nuttin to it but to do it”.

Then again, its easy for me to say this now since its been a year since I’ve done a full V-Diet and I’m not starting the fucking thing till Sunday. haha.

@Ashley: you forgot to mention cheeseburgers and pizza hahahaha…nah, its all good. I really am lookin forward to starting it, so I can get it over with! I’m pretty excited to see the progress I’ve made without the extra padding.

@Action Jackson: Good to hear that man! How has your progress been since your last one? Are you noticing any difference this time around compared to your last one? A few people I’ve talked to claim the 2nd round is harder than the first for some reason, especially if they have been lifting really heavy since the first one. Not sure why that would be, but hopefully not true! haha

@landwaster: Thanks for that (I think!). I haven’t seen that movie yet and I was just like “what the fuck?”. It was amusing though. Just please don’t touch my ass when we are encouraging each other.

So I did the first V-Diet workout Monday in preparation for the real deal next week. I hadn’t done a lot of those exercises in a while, so I needed to figure out what my real 5RM’s were.

For front squat, I worked my way up to 3x5 at 255. The actual squatting movement is pretty easy at that weight and my limiting factor is actually my gag reflex. The bar nearly chokes me to death since I have to have a death grip on it due to my poor wrist flexibility. I think I’m going to go with 245 for the diet since I did this on a full calorie diet (with a bloat!).

I was able to go 5-5-4-3-3 on chinups. I have always sucked at these, but then again, I’m 270 lbs. To make matters worse, I was working out at a Navy Base with a bunch of little 160 lb military fuckers that do pullups for fun. This one punk did pullups in between my sets, but would then flip himself around upside down and do trunk twists suspended 10 feet in the air. I really hate that guy!

For DB Bench, I worked my way up to 110s. I will probably use either 100s or 105s for the diet.

Ab wheel was 5-5-4-3-3 and I am feeling that still. My body is sore all over from it. I have pretty decent core strength just from PL’ing, but this is a brand new movement and I’ll probably continue to be sore for a while after doing them.

Gonna do Workout #2 tomorrow (Thursday) to get my weights down there. Didn’t do it tonight due to teh St Pattys festivities!

Slainte
Nate

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
This one punk did pullups in between my sets, but would then flip himself around upside down and do trunk twists suspended 10 feet in the air. I really hate that guy!
[/quote]
Maybe he is really Peter Pan

[quote]Gonna do Workout #2 tomorrow (Thursday) to get my weights down there.
[/quote]
I can’t wait for this update

So I did Workout #2 today. Mother of god. It was awful. I am full calorie right now and I struggled to get through it. I actually obeyed the rest periods today to help better gauge my follow on weights since I never do any of those exercises (already had a good idea of my weights for the other evening). I think it ended up taking me just over 50 minutes. The timing between sets were good, the timing between different exercises were not. I had to struggle to catch my breath and avoid puking. That will improve once my conditioning improves a bit (I mean, I normally rest between 3-5 minutes of each SET for my PL training).

DB Alternating Reverse Lunge (40x2): 16, 16, 16, 12, 10, 10
BB Bent Over Row (155): 8, 8, 8, 6, 5, 4, 1
BB Push Press (115): 10, 8, 8, 7, 5, 2
BB Curl (EZ Curl Bar + 50): 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5
Incline Reverse Crunch: 10, 8, 8

So my g/f who weighs 150 lbs and I use the same weight for DB Lunges. Awesome. Rows were cool. Need to concentrate on bending over more. Push Press started out easy but got harder. Arent’ you supposed to be able to use higher weights than your OHP for the push press? For some reason, I can’t. I normally have no trouble repping out 8-10 with 135+ on OHP, but 115 felt very heavy and I didn’t even try 135. Weird.

My curls are pathetic, but I never do them. I started out curling in the squat rack but then realized I would hate myself if I continued, so I just moved over to the EZ Curl Bar and did them there. Anyone know how much the ez curl bar weighs?

Reverse crunches were 3 sets to failure (yeah, I fail at less than 10. Fuck it, I never do more than 5 reps of ANYTHING!).

I just got off a plane a few minutes ago and fell over when i tried to stand up. This is like 5 hours later. I find the probability that I won’t get out of bed tomorrow to be close to 100%.

Why am I updating this log so frequently and I haven’t even started the damn diet yet? I need a hobby.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Anyone know how much the ez curl bar weighs?

[/quote]

So hey dudes, you know how you want big guns? Well, the EZ bar isn’t going to do it for you. See, there are several muscles that make up the bicep, the largest being the biceps brachii. When someone says “show me yo guns” that’s what they see. Now, when you use the EZ bar, your wrists begin to pronate your hands, and you are using one of the smaller muscles as the primary mover (flexor of the elbow).

With the Straight bar, your hands stay supinated, and the larger biceps brachii is the prime mover. So, you’ll get better guns.

Yes, it’s harder, but eh, that’s the point. Unless you have serious wrist issues, you’re really doing yourself a disservice by using the EZ Bar. I mean, it is called the “EASY” bar for a reason!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
so lets see some pics man…and I mean that with “all homo” you can possibly get.
[/quote]

ummmm, do we need to break up?

When people tell me to show them my guns, I just flex my tricep. I actually get some work in for that muscle group! All about the horseshoe baby.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
When people tell me to show them my guns, I just flex my tricep. I actually get some work in for that muscle group! All about the horseshoe baby.[/quote]

Concealed weapons, good call

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
So I did Workout #2 today. Mother of god. It was awful. I am full calorie right now and I struggled to get through it. I actually obeyed the rest periods today to help better gauge my follow on weights since I never do any of those exercises (already had a good idea of my weights for the other evening). I think it ended up taking me just over 50 minutes. The timing between sets were good, the timing between different exercises were not. I had to struggle to catch my breath and avoid puking. That will improve once my conditioning improves a bit (I mean, I normally rest between 3-5 minutes of each SET for my PL training).

DB Alternating Reverse Lunge (40x2): 16, 16, 16, 12, 10, 10
BB Bent Over Row (155): 8, 8, 8, 6, 5, 4, 1
BB Push Press (115): 10, 8, 8, 7, 5, 2
BB Curl (EZ Curl Bar + 50): 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5
Incline Reverse Crunch: 10, 8, 8

So my g/f who weighs 150 lbs and I use the same weight for DB Lunges. Awesome. Rows were cool. Need to concentrate on bending over more. Push Press started out easy but got harder. Arent’ you supposed to be able to use higher weights than your OHP for the push press? For some reason, I can’t. I normally have no trouble repping out 8-10 with 135+ on OHP, but 115 felt very heavy and I didn’t even try 135. Weird.

My curls are pathetic, but I never do them. I started out curling in the squat rack but then realized I would hate myself if I continued, so I just moved over to the EZ Curl Bar and did them there. Anyone know how much the ez curl bar weighs?

Reverse crunches were 3 sets to failure (yeah, I fail at less than 10. Fuck it, I never do more than 5 reps of ANYTHING!).

I just got off a plane a few minutes ago and fell over when i tried to stand up. This is like 5 hours later. I find the probability that I won’t get out of bed tomorrow to be close to 100%.

Why am I updating this log so frequently and I haven’t even started the damn diet yet? I need a hobby.

[/quote]

The EZ curl bar usually weights 25 lbs.

I was going over your post, and for the most part, it was like deja vu to me. The day after those lunges I didn’t make it to work 'till 10am! I just couldn’t get out of bed!

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sick_of_your_gym_4.htm

I read this and was in tears by the middle of it. The ending wasn’t as funny as the first part, but holy fuck.

Thanks for the tips about the EZ-Bar. I felt really ghey using it, but I also didn’t want to curl in the squat rack and was too sore to move another bar out of the bar-tree and get it set up!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sick_of_your_gym_4.htm

I read this and was in tears by the middle of it. The ending wasn’t as funny as the first part, but holy fuck.

Thanks for the tips about the EZ-Bar. I felt really ghey using it, but I also didn’t want to curl in the squat rack and was too sore to move another bar out of the bar-tree and get it set up!

[/quote]

Hysterical

I totally curled in the squat rack. In the 40 minutes prior that I had been performing the other exercises, not one person used any piece of equipment other than the preacher curl station and the bench press. It was St. Patrick’s day, at 2 in the afternoon, so there weren’t many people there, but still…

Im sure once I’m back in the safe confines of Gold’s Gym Rosslyn that there will be absolutely no issues curling in the squat rack (except maybe having to clean the cobwebs off of it since I’ve been gone for a week). But at the scary Navy Base, there were actually people USING the squat rack for SQUATS (and trap bar deadlifts). It was crazy.