Biotest

Biotest Supplements for Crossfit

Hi!

I’ve been lifting in the past, but since last the last 18 mounths my training occurs mainly in my local box. Crossfit workouts and Olympic lifts. I’m going to step up my frequency of sessions per week and want some advice on recommended supplements to try from Biotest. Since I live in Europe it will mean high shipping, so “buy and try” wont do. It will be a bigger order of “everything I think I need”.

I am and have always been using supplements sparingly. But I’ve tried a few on occasions in the past. BCAA during workouts and ZMA before night time is what I use regularly. On rare occasions some kind of pre-workout with caffine and Kre-Alkalyn (Creatine) to “wake up” before workout after a long workday.

What am I looking for?

• Make my hours spent in the box as effective and have as good gains as possible (in a legal and healthy way)
  • Shorten my recovery time (I ALWAYS have much muscle soreness the day after a tough workout. Some times for 48h or more)
  • Gains in form of strength/performance

What am I not looking for?

• Gains in form of “pure volume”
  • Weight gain and/or weight loss
  • To complex variation of supplements and schedule

Additional note: I’m not a “vegetarian”, but I rarely eat chicken/fish (1-3 times a week), and very rarely red meat (occasionally on restaurants). Still make an effort to eat healthy “varied” in form of carbs/proteins/fat

[quote]dba wrote:
I’ve been lifting in the past, but since last the last 18 mounths my training occurs mainly in my local box. Crossfit workouts and Olympic lifts. I’m going to step up my frequency of sessions per week and want some advice on recommended supplements to try from Biotest.[/quote]
Christian Thibaudeau, who’s done a ton of work with high-level CrossFit athletes, discussed the supplements he uses with them here:

Long story short, it’s Plazma, Surge Workout Fuel, Mag-10, and sometimes Brain Candy.

[quote]Additional note: I’m not a “vegetarian”, but I rarely eat chicken/fish (1-3 times a week), and very rarely red meat (occasionally on restaurants). Still make an effort to eat healthy “varied” in form of carbs/proteins/fat
[/quote]
Do you still get enough quality protein everyday? I’m guessing you eat a lot of eggs and dairy? Maybe pork? Just saying, keep an eye on that. Even the best supplement plan can only do so much if you’re not giving your body enough nutrients throughout the day.

Also, I’d consider something like creatine malate or monohydrate since you don’t eat much red meat.

[quote]dba wrote:
Hi!

I’ve been lifting in the past, but since last the last 18 mounths my training occurs mainly in my local box. Crossfit workouts and Olympic lifts. I’m going to step up my frequency of sessions per week and want some advice on recommended supplements to try from Biotest. Since I live in Europe it will mean high shipping, so “buy and try” wont do. It will be a bigger order of “everything I think I need”.

I am and have always been using supplements sparingly. But I’ve tried a few on occasions in the past. BCAA during workouts and ZMA before night time is what I use regularly. On rare occasions some kind of pre-workout with caffine and Kre-Alkalyn (Creatine) to “wake up” before workout after a long workday.

What am I looking for?

• Make my hours spent in the box as effective and have as good gains as possible (in a legal and healthy way)
  • Shorten my recovery time (I ALWAYS have much muscle soreness the day after a tough workout. Some times for 48h or more)
  • Gains in form of strength/performance

What am I not looking for?

• Gains in form of “pure volume”
  • Weight gain and/or weight loss
  • To complex variation of supplements and schedule

Additional note: I’m not a “vegetarian”, but I rarely eat chicken/fish (1-3 times a week), and very rarely red meat (occasionally on restaurants). Still make an effort to eat healthy “varied” in form of carbs/proteins/fat
[/quote]

I work with many Crossfit athletes, including 2 who are going to the Games and 14 who competed at the East Regionals (individual or team). They use PLAZMA pre and during workout. This is BY FAR the best supplement to boost crossfit performance (delays fatigue, keep hydrated, masks fatigue, recovers faster) and increases recovery.

Those who want to improve their focus and mental strength use BRAIN CANDY.

For longer “conditioning based” WODs we use SURGE WORKOUT FUEL pre and during training instead of PLAZMA (although plazma does work for that too).

Thank you very much for your answers, tried to search the forum before posting, but didn’t find (blaming search functionality :wink: what I was looking for.

I do compensate with eggs, beans and other protein rich foods in my meals. And at my current rate of sessions in a week it’s not a problem at all. But upping the frequency of sessions will force me to be more creative than now.

And just to clarify, when I was lifting back in the days, I did 5-6 sessions a week and saw my self as “serious”. Now days I’m more of a “weekend warrior” if you know what I mean, I don’t do competitive crossfit, It’s just my way of keeping fit, good looks and hey it’s fun. It’s 2-3 WOD’s a week complemented by Oly/strength (before the WODs) atm. When I do a lot of crossfit (on my scale anyway) it’s 3-4 times a week.

Based on what I’ve read and your recommendations, I will try the following.

Plazma, as pre and during workouts (start testing 1/2 serving before and 1/2 serving during and stepping up after a few weeks to see if I notice any difference).
MAG-10 as post workout to increase recovery AND as a added source of protein. (but since it out of stock right now, I’ll might order Metabolic Drive instead this time)
Creatine Monohydrate, have already, just not been using it for a couple of mounts

Might try a few shots of brain candy and use that to wake the body on sucky days to wake mind and body before sessions.

Altogether, Plazma, MAG-10 and Creatine seems like a plan thats easy to follow, easy to understand. And there for also easy to test to see if I really answer on it and can feel the change.