Biotest

Biotest Supplement Advice

From reading the various advice on this forum I have a reasonable idea of what I should be doing regarding my peri workout but I wanted to get a more expert opinion if possible please.

I’m relatively new to serious committed lifting and I’m looking to get bigger and stronger.

What makes it a little more complicated is that due to work and a young family I have to train early in the morning, so I will be in the gym ready to go at 6am. After training I leave the house around 7:30 to cycle to work which takes around an hour.

What would you advise in the way of supplements and timings?

I’m 6ft and 195lbs and currently consuming a little over 3,400 calories a day on a 50%, 30%, 20% split between carbs, protein and fat respectively and I’m following 5-3-1 in the gym.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also find myself having to train early in the morning. I’m no expert (wait for Bill or Chris to respond) but Plazma before and during with MAG-10 after is a universally beneficial protocol. Start with the label instructions as far as dosing/timing and then tweak here and there to find what best suits you.

I take Flameout for the general health benefits and because the way I train stresses my joints a bit. I also use ZMA for good sleep and to restore mineral balances as I am both active and stressed (and it sounds like you may fit that description as well).

Good luck to you as you figure everything out! (Side note: I’ve heard 5/3/1 is great for strength but not for size, so if that’s your goal you may want to re-evaluate. But what do I know? I’m just a scrawny rock climber :))

[quote]olster79 wrote:
What makes it a little more complicated is that due to work and a young family I have to train early in the morning, so I will be in the gym ready to go at 6am. After training I leave the house around 7:30 to cycle to work which takes around an hour.

What would you advise in the way of supplements and timings?[/quote]
Your situation doesn’t sound that bad, all things considered. Early morning sessions can suck, but you generally adapt to them soon enough.

If I were in your position, I’d get up 5:15-5:20ish, shamble down to the kitchen and get two scoops of Plazma ready (or pre-mix it the night before and toss it in the fridge, no prob). If I’m especially dragging and in need of caffeine, I’d mix it right with a Spike Shooter, but I wouldn’t make that the regular every-session habit. Finish the whole Spike and half the Plazma by 5:45 or so and have the rest during training.

Figure training is finished right around 7:00 to leave time to freshen up and get ready, I’d try to have a serving of Mag-10 before taking off for work (or during the ride if I can drink and pedal without crashing), and then have my pre-packed solid breakfast as soon as I can when I get to the office. Probably a bunch of hard-boiled eggs, some fruit, and maybe some oatmeal.

The most complicated part that I see here isn’t necessarily the early morning workout, it’s the hour of “cardio” immediately after lifting. That means it’s even that much more important to get your workout nutrition together, and it’s why the Mag-10 post-lifting/pre-biking will help a ton to preserve muscle.

The Plazma before and during lifting is to counteract lifting on an empty stomach. Some guys do alright lifting with nothing in their system, but if you can lift while properly fueled and in an ideal situation, really, why wouldn’t you?

[quote]shralpinist wrote:
(Side note: I’ve heard 5/3/1 is great for strength but not for size, so if that’s your goal you may want to re-evaluate. But what do I know? I’m just a scrawny rock climber :))[/quote]
FWIW, the assistance work is what can make or break the muscle-building/size-building aspect of 5/3/1. Boring But Big and the Rest-Pause challenge are just two examples.

Side note: I keep reading your username as Shrapnelist and think you get to throw grenades at people all day. :wink:

Thank you so much for your responses, it’s really appreciated.