Biotest

Bioavailable Meat Cups!

[center]Bioavailable Meat Cups![/center]
I’ve often joked that much of the fitness industry is a game of language. You could easily take the same training article and edit it for different publications.

Call it “Building Boulder Biceps!”, throw in terms like mass, monster, blow up, diesel, and jacked, use black and white photos of contest-ready pro-bodybuilders so juiced up that they sweat Deca, and you could publish it in any newsstand bodybuilding magazine.

Now, take the same training program, call it “Tone and Shape Sexy Arms!”, use words like firm, fat-free, lean, and sculpted, and add color photos of in-shape but not-too-big smiling women in their mid-20’s, and you have the typical fodder of most women’s fitness magazines.

Same body part, same basic program, same concepts and ideas. Just the language changes.

I see the same thing happening with food. Call something pommes frites at a fancy restaurant and you’ll pay 12 bucks for it. But what are pommes frites?

French fries.

Yep, the language, the waiter’s fake accent, and the white tablecloth made those fries cost you 11 dollars extra. (And hey, what are you eatin’ fries for anyway, chubster?)

Which brings us to a new recipe I have for you. Now, I could call this Quiche in Prosciutto Cups… because that’s what it is. But I think my testosterone level would drop at least 6% if I did that.

I mean, there was even a book called Real Men Don’t Eat Quiche that spawned the term quiche eater. According to Wikipedia, a quiche eater is a man who’s effeminate and who lacks masculine virtues.

So I think I’ll call it Bioavailable Meat Cups because it’s basically eggs in “cups” made of meat. I mean, that just puts hair on your chest, doesn’t it?

Or maybe real men are secure enough to call quiche quiche? And if you think about it, beer is considered masculine, yet it’s estrogenic and leads to fat storage on the belly and chest, causing men to have boobs. Very manly. But quiche is low-carb and high protein (at least the way I make it here) so it’s basically a great food for bodybuilders who want to get shredded.

Either way, I think you’ll like this one. And although it’s technically a breakfast sorta thing, I think a protein-rich, low-carb final meal of the day is a great way to get lean and stay lean. Check it out:

[center] Bioavailable Meat Cups or Quiche in Prosciutto Cups [/center]

Ingredients:

Turkey bacon or prosciutto (a thin Italian bacon)
4 egg whites
2 whole omega-3 enriched eggs
6 tablespoon Greek yogurt: plain, nonfat
Salt and pepper to taste (I always use a natural sea salt that retains its trace minerals)

Now you can add whatever herbage and additions you want:

Chopped jalapenos with dash of cayenne pepper powder
Dash of your favorite hot sauce (whisked into egg mixture)
Avocado
Shredded cheese of choice
Basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic… you name it.

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degree.

2. Spray a mini-muffin pan with Pam.

3. Cut the bacon or prosciutto into small pieces and form a little “cup” in each muffin area.

4. Whisk whites, whole eggs, yogurt, salt, pepper, and your choice of herbs.

5. Pour mixture into each cup and slap your muffin pan into the oven for 10 to 14 minutes.

6. If you want, take them out a little early and top with avocado, cheese, peppers, etc. Return to oven for another minute or two.

If you did it right, you’ll be left with 12 to 15 healthy “muffins.”

Give 'em a shot, whatever you decide to call them.

Greek yogurt and prosciutto.

BTW, Greek yogurt made my list of power foods. You can check out why here:

The prosciutto in the mini-muffin pan.

These food-safe silicone pans are perfect here. No sticking at all.

Also, now that I’ve made this recipe with turkey bacon, I much prefer it. Besides, prosciutto is hella expensive.

The filling, in process. (Don’t you just love these sexy action pics?)

Ready for the 400 degree oven.

And done!

The batch you’re seeing here is made with rosemary, but my favorite so far was made using a dash of hot sauce, cayenne pepper and diced jalapeno. My girlfriend says it’s the best thing I’ve made so far.

If you try it, post your best variation and a pic!

Bingo, more magic. I’m going to try these as orderves for my New Years Eve celebration gathering.

Interestingly, the permeations here are endless…we can use shrimp, lobster, salmon, chopped ribeye, chicken sausages, etc. And that’s a beautiful thing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Like I always say, anything can go with eggs. But that’s another subject. =)

Dude - those look awesome. I’m making those…

Got a macro breakdown on these?

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Dude - those look awesome. I’m making those…

Got a macro breakdown on these? [/quote]

I don’t, sorry.

Usually there are so many variations possible (Italian bacon vs. turkey bacon, nonfat Greek yogurt vs. low or full fat, etc.) that I don’t bother to break down the macros. I just try to make sure the protein is high, the carbs are low, controlled or fibrous, and the fats are on the healthier side.

Damn it, now I really do need to buy a muffin pan. And I thought I had successfully banned the word “muffin” from my lexicon. Omelet Muffins from Mark’s Daily Apple tempted me to get one, but now, with Bioavailable Meat Cups, I can no longer resist.

Reread the 8 More Power Foods article and I remember thinking back in the day that I’d never like all that stuff or figure out how to work it in my regular nutritional intake. I’ve never had cabbage (still going through my 20 year avoidance period) and I do quinoa irregularly, but all the other ones I’ve eaten in the past week.

Thanks for another badass recipe I have to try.

I just mastered the quiche using a cottage cheese base instead of cream, now I can try these too. Thanks Chris!

Definitely trying these. Also, I love hearing everyone’s variations.

Yum.

WOW Fat-free greek yogurt instead of cream in a quiche. So obvious! I’m making these this weekend. IF they hold up well in the frig for several hours, I’ll take them for my brown-bag weekday lunch. Thanks.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
WOW Fat-free greek yogurt instead of cream in a quiche. So obvious! I’m making these this weekend. IF they hold up well in the frig for several hours, I’ll take them for my brown-bag weekday lunch. Thanks.[/quote]

I’ve made big batches that have lasted two days, so brown-bagging them should be fine.

Chris,

How many Flameouts and FA3 should we take a day? I know everyone is different according to how much they should take. I enjoyed the article on Fat. Thanks for your time. Enjoy the NEW YEAR!

Troy

[quote]transportertroy wrote:
Chris,

How many Flameouts and FA3 should we take a day? I know everyone is different according to how much they should take. I enjoyed the article on Fat. Thanks for your time. Enjoy the NEW YEAR!

Troy[/quote]

I just go by the label most of the time.

Chris, I’m a bit disappointed. Prosciutto, is not Italian Bacon. Panchetta is Italian Bacon. Prosciutto is a cured ham that is thinly sliced. Go ahead, call me a quiche eater for knowing about delicious meat sources.

Okay, enough of the bashing. Recipe looks good. Will give it a try some time. I like me my eggs and enjoy learning new ways to mix them up.

Happy New Year, all!

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Chris, I’m a bit disappointed. Prosciutto, is not Italian Bacon. Panchetta is Italian Bacon. Prosciutto is a cured ham that is thinly sliced. Go ahead, call me a quiche eater for knowing about delicious meat sources.

Okay, enough of the bashing. Recipe looks good. Will give it a try some time. I like me my eggs and enjoy learning new ways to mix them up.

Happy New Year, all![/quote]

You’re right. I always get those confused. Prosciutto is an Italian ham, not bacon.

Oh well, it’s pig. And pig is good.

Great minds must think alike, because I’ve been eating a variation of this for breakfast most mornings since I’ve been single: scramble two or three whole eggs plus some egg whites. Add 2 slices of turkey bacon, about 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt on the side, and a handful raw nuts. I rotate the nuts just about every day between almonds, pistachios, Brazils, walnuts, cashews, and macademias. Usually I’ll also throw in a single slice of toasted Ezekiel bread.

Sounds good, Bob.

One advantage with these “cups” is their portability. Should be great for commuters and office drones.