Biotest

BigSwid's V-Diet Adventure

Day 5 - 2017.10.30 – Monday

Weight: 310.2 lbs.

Schedule:

• 9:00 AM: Shake (Cold Brew Coffee, 2 Metabolic Drive, Stevia), 3 Flameout & 2 Servings Metamucil
  • 1:00 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 4:30 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 7:15 PM: 2 Servings of Plazma with Lift
  • 8:15 PM – Roasted Turkey Breast (12 oz.) with Steamed Broccoli, 1 Serving of Jasmine Rice and Low Calorie Wing Sauce
  • 9:30 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 3 Flameout & 2 Servings Metamucil

Training:

• No NEPA walk, went to bed super late due to some family stuff.
  • EliteFTS SSB Squat – Top Set 235 for 12
  • Banded Good Mornings – 5x11
  • Bench Leg Raises – 5x8
  • Ab Wheel – 3x6

Notes/Thoughts:

• HSM was more on point. Yes, it’s more than 700 calories. But tracking the total calories I was slightly less than 2400 for the whole day.
  • Had a doctor appointment to get some stiches out from a procedure 10 days ago. Scale weight at the doctor was 303 with clothes on. I’m not counting that.
  • Dr. is ran Estradiol test and is likely going to prescribe AI and Metformin to assist with weight loss and low-T symptoms. It’s a start.
  • Training felt pretty good. Not quite a PR, but still a good workout that moved quickly. It’s amazing how tired and beat I feel at the end of the day and how much pre-loading the Plazma really helps.

Day 6 - 2017.10.31 – Monday

Weight: 310.4 lbs.

Schedule:

• 6:15 AM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 1 Serving Superfood, 3 Flameout & 2 Servings Metamucil
  • 12:00 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 7:00 PM: HSM of 9oz of Pork Shoulder, Wing Sauce, Serving of Jasmine Rice & a Bag of Steamed Broccoli with Shredded Parmesan
  • 9:15 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 3 Flameout

Training:

• 2.02 miles NEPA walk with 32.5 lb. weighted vest

Notes/Thoughts:

• Pork Shoulder…………not the greatest, but no BBQ sauce and no bun. Sometimes, I have to compromise with the wife or I don’t eat. We had guests, she cooked the meat un-sauced. Win/win.
  • Not a fucking taste of the shit ton of Halloween candy in the house. For me, that is a huge victory.
  • Sore as hell from squats on Monday.
  • Scale weight slightly up, but I’ve been a little backed up, if you know what I mean.
  • A little teaser, big victory tomorrow!
  • Waiting on test results and Dr. follow-up, but I got my deviated septum surgery scheduled for December. Dr. thinks that is going to make a big difference.

Question

• Anybody else get backed up on this diet? Been having a hard time getting a good, solid dump…even with the Metamucil.

Yeah, the Plazma is awesome. I don’t know if I can afford to have it as my full time per-workout supplement but I don’t know if I can afford not to either :wink:

I need to get myself a weighted vest.

What brand do you have and would you recommend it?

Yes, but not until I was about 2 weeks into it.

Then I didn’t have a solid BM for like 3 days. Was a little concerned but finally had a decent evacuation

AWESOME MAN!!! That’s the mental fortitude you’ll need to get this thing right.

Congrats! I didn’t even buy any candy - easy to do since I’m an empty-nester now

Day 7 - 2017.11.01 – Wednesday

Weight: 307.2 lbs.

Schedule:

• 6:45 AM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 1 Serving Superfood, 3 Flameout & 2 Servings Metamucil
  • 1:30 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 5:00 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 8:15 PM: Plazma and Lift
  • 9:15 PM: HSM - 12oz. eye round roast, bag of steamed green beans & half of a sweet potato with 2 spritzes of butter spray and a ton of cinnamon
  • 10:15: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 3 Flameout

Training:

• ShouldeRök Swings & Band Pull-Aparts for Warmup
  • Log Press 531 Style – Top Set 150 for 10 (3+ set)
  • Superset of Band Assisted Chins (5x9) and Incline Pushups (5x7, moved the j-clips down a hole from last week, working my way to regular PUs)
  • Superset of Lateral Raises (15x3x9) and Face Pulls (22.5x3x18)

Notes/Thoughts:

• Still no Halloween candy.
  • Happy about the big jump down in weight.
  • Was at a vendor event at Soldier Field all morning and early afternoon. Packed my shakes and didn’t have even a taste of the BBQ they served for lunch.
  • Was dragging ass for most of my training, but I guess that is to be expected. Strength feels ok (no PR, but close) but I am really feeling gassed when I get to my higher rep work.
  • Dinner was killer. Also, I’m doing better. I originally had another slice of beef and another half of the sweet potato on my plate. I put them back. Discipline baby!
  • Still waiting on the damn Doc.

Notes/Thoughts:

• Still trying to decide if I try the workouts called out in the e-book. I’d love for some feedback of what to do without dumbbells.

@CDMac24

Yeah, the Plazma is awesome. I don’t know if I can afford to have it as my full time per-workout supplement but I don’t know if I can afford not to either :wink:

I did the math and each serving is about $2.80, so $5.60 a workout. After this diet, I am thinking about going up to 3 servings. $16.80 - $25.20 a week. It’s steep, but if you’re not spending money on other shit, it probably works.

I need to get myself a weighted vest. What brand do you have and would you recommend it?

So, back in 2012, I bought a Condor MOLLE Plate Carrier for a Halloween costume. I also bought a kangaroo pouch for the front to be cool. My wife was a little pissed and thought it was a waste. I always thought I could use it for something, but I wasn’t sure. A few years later, Condor made a cut down version for Rogue for the Crossfit games. They event made calibrated weight plates as inserts. It all clicked and I started using it as a weighted vest. The first run was just adding 2.5 lb. plates in the pouches. This worked, but they would shift. I then ordered the plates from Rogue. These are great, but the total weigth is only 17.5 lbs. I got the idea that I could use MOLLE magazine pouches and insert the lead weights that are designed specifically for weighted vests. I can provide some links and pics if you’re interested. So far, it works great. I add 3 lbs. every week or two. It makes the walks more interesting and I get tons of weird looks from my neighbors!

Yes, but not until I was about 2 weeks into it. Then I didn’t have a solid BM for like 3 days. Was a little concerned but finally had a decent evacuation

I’m hoping this resolves itself soon. I’m thinking of adding a salad to my HSM to help with that. Steamed veggies alone ain’t doing the trick. And I can tell I’m slightly more bloated than I was last week.

AWESOME MAN!!! That’s the mental fortitude you’ll need to get this thing right.

Thanks buddy.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @BigSwid

I actually ended up doing the math on the supplement costs last night too after I posted

I wasn’t taking into account a 20% discount like you are but I guess I should.

I was just looking into Surge Workout and Surge Recovery to see if that would be a less expensive alternative. I may try that out for a stretch and see how those compare to the Plazma for fuel and recovery

Funny about the Halloween costume turned weight vest.

I’ve looked at the 5.11 tactical and Condor plate carriers at Rogue as well (have them both added to my shopping list)

I originally was looking at them for WODs for the 20 pounds they normally program but if I want to be able to add significantly more weight I just wondered if there were better options. I know Jim recommends the X-Vest but the 84 pounder is like 400 bucks!

Send me a pic of you in the condor with all your mag pouches filled with lead - That’s awesome.

Would the plate carrier pocket be large enough to put in multiple plates?

I think I may just get the condor with the plates that I could use for WODs if I’m ever doing Crossfit stuff and then plan to hit up the surplus stores and grab some mag pouches for myself

You know Rogue has a Veteran discount if you verify your military service. They’re supposed to have some specials/sales coming for Veteran’s Day so I’ve been holding off getting a few things until then.

I’m looking at the MiR 100 # Weighted Vest

1 Like

They don’t call 'em “fat man pull-ups” for nothing :wink: (Sorry, man. Couldn’t resist)

But yeah, as long as your rack is secure in place, that’d be the next best bet. Otherwise, some kind of row that’s easy on the lower back, like a Yates row (with a mostly upright stance) or a one-arm variation (like Meadows row or 1-arm barbell row).

One of the original versions of the V-Diet, when the HSM was once a week, actually recommended 300+ folks drop fat “traditionally” before tackling the V-Diet because it was just too drastic a change. But the current plan makes it relatively easier. Treat the plan like you would any other fat loss diet and adjust based on results.

Yes, it’s a diet, but you should be gonna-eat-the-dog hangry every day. That’s just not sustainable for 4 weeks. If necessary, consider bumping up the HSM meals slightly by increasing the protein portion and/or consider adding a one-scoop shake sometime during the day (the ebook mentions this as a acceptable in some situation).

Thanks @Chris_Colucci. I am familiar with the Fat Man PUs. Would you recommend substituting the dumbbell work with barbells as well? If so, I can make the plan work. Not sure about the rest periods, but it’d be worth a shot. I know the plan is designed a specific way, which is why i intended to keep my training the same, as oppose to having to bastardize what was laid out.

That’s what I figured. The hunger hasn’t been too bad. I figured a slightly higher HSM on training days and an extra scoop of Metabolic Drive seemed like the right way to go.

Day 8 - 2017.11.02 - Thursday

Weight: 307.8 lbs.

Schedule:

• 6:30 AM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 1 Serving Superfood, 3 Flameout & 2 Servings Metamucil
  • 12:30 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 7:45 PM: HSM - 12oz. eye round roast, bag of steamed mixed veggies & half of a sweet potato with 1 TBSP of grass-fed butter and a ton of cinnamon
  • 9:30: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 3 Flameout

Training:

• 2.02 miles NEPA walk with 32.5 lb. weighted vest

Notes/Thoughts:

• Still no Halloween candy!!!
  • Down 7.6 lbs in the first week. I’ll definitely take it. I really want to get under 300 right damn now, but I think rushing it is probably dumb.
  • I think that fake butter bullshit jacked my stomach up last night. That’s why I did the grass-fed butter. I probably used less that a full serving, but I’m trying to stay honest.
  • Mixed veggies are probably not the greatest since they have corn. But in all honesty, I need some variety and they tasted damn good. I ate the whole damn bag.
  • Hunger isn’t too bad at all during the day.
  • Still going back and forth with the doc regarding AI and the estrogen test. He’s a good doc, but getting this shit taken care of is a giant pain in the ass. That being said, I did start the Metformin this evening. 500mg x 2 a day to start. So far, no mud butt from that!
  • Not 100% sure, but I am probably going to do another 28 day of the V-Diet, at least. This has really made my life much easier from a food perspective. And thus far, it’s been pretty easy to stick with.
1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty funny. I feel like a total poser since I never served. That said, it works well and I do feel pretty bad ass wearing it and listing to Jocko motivational videos.

Front:

Back:

Mir 3 lb. weights:

Rogue 8.75 lb. plate:

IMG_1883

What I have:

Notes:

• The Rogue plates are nice. They don’t shift around too much. They are slightly small for the vest since it’s an XL. I’m pretty sure that I could double them up front and back. When the they are the only weights, they don’t bounce much at all. I am probably going to order a second pair for Black Friday. My other thought is taping some foam on the edges to increase the service area and prevent them from shifting at all. They would probably fit more snug in smaller vests.
  • Mag pouches work great for the 3 lb. Mir weights. They fit perfectly and don’t shift in the pouches at all. The pouches do bounce a little bit when walking. Not too bad for NEPA, but it might be worse if running or doing WODS. I do Strongman, so no chance of that shit.
  • I currently have the best loaded with 32.5 lbs. 17.5 lbs. from the plates and 15 lbs. from 5 weights. The triple pouches work well since I can keep the load relatively even.
  • I think i can probably double up the weights in the pouches. They will stick out a bit, but it should be okay.
  • At 32.5 lbs., the vest is pretty comfortable. I’m only wearing it for 45 minutes a day, but I have worn it cutting the grass and doing yard work. Keeping it tight around the belly takes a lot of the pressure off the shoulders, but as it’s gotten heavier, the shoulders have become a little more uncomfortable. Thus, I ordered better shoulder pad for the vest, hoping it will help.
  • I still have a decent amount of room where I can/will add additional pouches for more stuff like my phone, pepper spray (shitty dog owners with some nasty dogs in my neighborhood), etc.

Any questions, let me know.

1 Like

That’s some great progress. Keep at it. If you get hungry and just can’t deal, eat a can of green beans or something with no real calories but has some volume to it.

1 Like

Yes!! That’s why I eat a bunch of salad at night… just trying to get in the veggies as well as filling me up.

@BigSwid - Man, that vest is pimped out! Good looking rig.

Thanks for all the great info and links.

Still not sure what I’m going to do but I have some time.

Maybe I’ll ask for a weight vest for Christmas

My weighted vest was 6 mags of 5.56NATO, IFAK (Med kit), 2 ammo cans of 7.62 and an M240 slung. Don’t be the big guy in your platoon… Screw. ALL. THAT again. lol.
That vest is a lot nicer than our old ass flak jackets though. Just tell your wife it’s fitness gear and get yourself an AR CDMac24!

My wife loves Olive Garden and I won’t deny her that. Occassionally I’ll go with her and I’ll just have the unlimited salad, side of shrimp, and 2 meatballs.

Mediterranean food is also the bomb for healthy going out to eat meals.

1 Like

Man, combat essentials have come a long way even since I got out in 2001.

We still had the metal frame packs and sleeping bags that weighed 30 pounds by themselves and were the size of volkswagens :laughing:

That’s a good looking plate of food man!

I was a motor T guy so my weight was my toolbox. Luckily, I only had to carry it from the hooch to the hummer. Those old ass flak jackets and turtle shell kevlar helmets were crap compared to the shit they roll with now.

2 Likes

I hear ya, that’s when I got out. I still have my ALICE pack. I loved my mummy bag. Quite a few cold nights in the woods in Lejeune with that. Fuck the CIF I didn’t turn that shit in. Kept my ID too. I certainly can’t say they “Have all this fancy shit now” because we still get Army’s left over broken bullshit.

2 Likes

Day 9 - 2017.11.03 – Friday

Weight: 306.2 lbs.

Schedule:

• 6:30 AM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 1 Serving Superfood, 3 Flameout & 2 Servings Metamucil
  • 12:30 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 5:00 PM: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive
  • 7:55 PM: Plazma and Lift
  • 9:15 PM: HSM - 12oz. eye round roast, steamed broccoli and asparagus & 3/4 sweet potato with 1 TBSP grass-fed butter and a ton of cinnamon
  • 10:30: 2 Scoops of Metabolic Drive, 3 Flameout, 2 Servings of Metamucil

Training:

• 5:30 AM NEPA Walk – 2.05 miles with 32.5 weighted vest
  • Trap-Bar Deadlift 531 Style – Top Set 330 for 15 (3+ set) – PR City!
  • Banded Good Mornings – 5x12
  • Bench Leg Raises – 5x9
  • Ab Wheel – 3x7
  • Shit Load of Curls Super-Setted in w/ Abs – Top Set 95x5

Notes/Thoughts:

• 9 lbs. down total.
  • It was a rough week and especially shitty day. But when I started warming up with deads, I had a feeling it was going to be a good day. I busted out the smelling salts and ripped off a nice set! I use the Wendler calculator to compare rep maxes (RM=.0333WR+W) and that was a 495. I hit a 494 over the summer.
  • Everything was feeling pretty good today.
  • I probably ate a little too much for dinner, my bad.
  • Metformin seems to agree with me well, so that is good.
  • Finally talked with my doc about the Estradiol test. He did, in fact, run the right test and a little over a year’s time, I cut it in half. No clue how that happened, but that is good.
  • Still having issues with my CPAP and got a service tech coming Monday. If that doesn’t fix it, I’m going to buy a new auto CPAP.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.