Biotest

Bigiron's Log

I have used Bigiron as my login screen name for everything since the internet was invented. It has nothing to do with lifting heavy weights (I haven’t done that in 20 years). It’s an old Marty Robbins song and it was my dads CB handle.

Life’s been good. I have a great wife, 2 good boys and a nice businesses that allows me to spend a lot of time with the family.

My SR year in college(1989) I weighed 250-260 pounds, had a 36-37" waist, benched 385 and could run. I started 3 years and never turned down from a challenge. The last 10 years I have ran from most challenges.

I have stayed semi active playing golf and racqettball, occasionally jogging and lifting very light weights. I probably average exercising once a week. My biggest weakness is my eating habits (they are REAL bad). I’ve started and quit countless diets. My family doesn’t even pay attention when I tell them I’m going to “get in shape” because they’ve heard it all before.

A friend told me about the website and the more I read the more I liked. I need to do something drastic to change my lifestyle. It is my every intention to follow this program to the letter. With the help of the Good Lord I know I can do it.

Here are the measurements
Age 43
Ht. 6’1/2"
Wt. 248
Neck 18 1/8
Chest 49
Navel 45
waist 42 1/2
Arm R 16 1/4 Can’t believe they’re that small
Arm L 16
Leg R 28
Leg L 27 1/2
Calf R 16
Calf L 16
Ankle 9 1/8
Ankle 9 1/8

Back

Side

Glad to have you on board, BigIron!

Day 1 down. 99% compliance. I have a power rack and free weights @ my house. My dumbells only go up to 45 lbs. and I can barely do 1 pullup. I went to the church to do pullups (using the machine that pushes you up) and dumbell bench press. Then came home to do front squats and the ab work. Unfortunately the church has no free weights except dumbells.

I did the walkouts instead of the ab roller because I didn’t have one. I bought an ab roller and some weights to add to my dumbells so I’m good except for pullups.

Question.
Would I be better off doing Bench Press pullups and doing the entire workout at my house or splitting it up and going where I can use the pullup machine. The church is about 1 mile away and It will delay me about 5 minutes. Maybe I could do pullups on my power rack w/someone holding my feet?

Front Squts
165 x 5,5,4,4,3 (I can probably handle more weight but these were akward @ first)

Pullups
-40 pounds from machine, 4,4,3,3,2,2,1,1

Dumbell BP
70’s x 5,5,4,3,3 (form got sloppy)

Walkouts

I am particularly sore in my lats.

Day 2 in the books with one slipup.

I threw batting practice for an hour and was pretty thirsty. I drank about 1/2 of my son’s Gatorade. My crime didn’t occur to me until I was driving home. I looked @ the label and discovered I’d consumed around 200 calories. I’m pretty mad @ myself because I would have preferred water but just wasn’t thinking. I’m guessing I burned 200+ calories throwing bp but the Gatorade probably negated it.

Forgot to mention I walked for an hour on day 1 and I walked for an hour today.

Looking forward to tomorrows workout.

Nice Job BI

Day 3 is always the hardest for me. The HOT-ROX will make things easier.
as for the Gatorade screwup It’s all about preperation. Should have had a nice
frosty shake made waiting in the cooler.

Hang in there

Boxcar

Thanks boxcar.

Day 3 down. The diet was perfect. The lifting was tough. I had to lie down in the floor for 3-4 minutes betwen push presses and barbell curls. I thought I was going to die. It took me a good hour after the workout before I felt like I was back on planet earth.

Stepups
45lb dumbells 4x10, will add weight next time

dumbell Rows
45’s x 10,10,8,8,8,7

Push Presses
125 x 9,7,6,5,5,4,4 apptox 1 minute between last few sets

barbell curl
75 x 10,8,6,5,4,4,3

Reverse Crunch on floor

Walked for 45 mins.

[quote]bigiron63 wrote:
I threw batting practice for an hour and was pretty thirsty. I drank about 1/2 of my son’s Gatorade. My crime didn’t occur to me until I was driving home. I looked @ the label and discovered I’d consumed around 200 calories. I’m pretty mad @ myself because I would have preferred water but just wasn’t thinking. I’m guessing I burned 200+ calories throwing bp but the Gatorade probably negated it.[/quote]

Right on Scott AKA.

I can’t put my finger on it but I’m feeling off/weird/odd ever since yesterdays workout(I may have gone to hard). Don’t know if it was the workout or the HOT-ROX. I’m a salesman and I’m ok while making sales calls but during the drives in between calls my body/mind feels exhausted.

Hey BigIron,
First up I love the forum name :smiley: second up great work so far and being a good role model for your family. As far as your feelings of exhaustion, it could be if you’ve been eating a fairly high carb/bread based diet your body and metabolism could be just re-adjusting itself.

Here’s a post from Marks Daily Apple about it.

Nate,

Great article. It described me to a tee. I have no idea what my % of carbs was but my diet persisted of pizza, Mexican, Itallian… whatever taste good. I’m glad to see this is normal and temporary. I couldn’t live this way forever.

Day 4 down, 100% compliance.

1 hour walk.

Out,
BigIron

Day 5 and 6 down. Not going to bore everyone with my entire workout. The only problem I seem to be having is the rest period on some of the multi joint lifts. Example on deadlifts I did 255x 9,8 then I was so bushed I had to rest approx 2 mins between sets just to get finished. By the last set I was only doing 3 reps. I also had to rest 2-3 mins between excercises. I realize this is not the plan but I was amost sick.
When finished I had to lay down for 30 mins just to keep from throwing up.

The diet portion has gone very well and I’m surprised how easy it’s been to stick with it.

Looking forward to my 1st HSM tomorrow(after 12:00, I guess it’s today). Pant’s are looser as well.

Out,
BigIron

Day 5 and 6 down. Not going to bore everyone with my entire workout. The only problem I seem to be having is the rest period on some of the multi joint lifts. Example on deadlifts I did 255x 9,8 then I was so bushed I had to rest approx 2 mins between sets just to get finished. By the last set I was only doing 3 reps. I also had to rest 2-3 mins between excercises. I realize this is not the plan but I was amost sick.
When finished I had to lay down for 30 mins just to keep from throwing up.

The diet portion has gone very well and I’m surprised how easy it’s been to stick with.

Looking forward to my 1st HSM tomorrow(after 12:00, I guess it’s today). Pant’s are looser as well.

Out,
BigIron

Yesterday was day 7 and I had my HSM. I thought about this meal more than any one meal in my life. The kids were playing in a baseball tournament and we were’nt sure when they’d be finished. I chose Colton’s Steak House because it was near the park and we had a coupon. I knew what I wanted, Steak, Mushrooms and a Salad. I told my kids to look at the menu and figure out what they wanted to because we are ordering. 10 minutes later one of them still couldn’t decide and we had to tell the waitress to give us a few more minutes. I got pissed and yelled at everybody. They in return got mad at me and we ate half the meal in silence. Although the food was good it was an overall bad deal.

I appologized and we all made up and I’m sure the next HSM will be much better.

I weighed 239 Sun morning but weighed 240 (down 8 punds)this AM. Probably due to eating a large steak.

My HSM was probably to big, I have had to rest a little longer on some of the workouts, I drank a 1/2 bottle of Gatorade, I’ve made some of my drinks smaller than they were supposed to be (2 scoops instead of 3) but other than that I’ve followed the program.

I’ve had a low grade headache quite a bit since I’ve started. Not sure if it was the HOT-ROX but I didn’t have it today. I probably won’t take any measurements for another week or two however my pants are much more comfortable.

8 pounds

AWSOME!!

Stay at it man. The fat is going to melt away

Are you doing your fat burning walks?

I’m starting the VD today not sure if I’ll
do the blog.

Boxcar

Box Car,
I would reccomend doing the blog. I have a poor track record of sticking to things and the blog gives me some incentive to stick with it. I don’t want to be a quitter.

I have been doing all my walks except yesterday. They have ranged from 30 mins to 1 hour. I plan on doubling up today.

I must confess I have broke one other rule. I’ve been weighing myself every morning. It’s kind of exciting. I am seeing a pattern. I seem to stay flat and I’ve even gained a pound following my lifting days. I then lose 1 or 2 pounds following days where NEPA is the only activity. Has anyone else noticed this??

Hey Big Iron

Sorry about the nasty language it just dawnned on
me that your kids will be reading your blog

I think I can edit it out

Yea I weigh myself everday also

I think I’ll try the blog

Hey Big Iron,
Nice job so far! I’ve found I had some headache/nausea on my first week of the vdiet, but by the second it cleared up. I think Chris posted somewhere that there is a bit of wiggle room in the calories, so don’t sweat it if you miss a scoop here and there. You don’t wanna miss too many though, what I did sometimes was make my 3 scoop shakes into a 2 scoop then have the third scoop on its own an hour or 2 later. Could be worth experimenting with?

Boxcar, No prob they’re not on this and they’ve heard worse.

Nate, On the 3 scoop shakes I have typically been taking 2.5 but I’ll heed your advice.

Day 9 (yesterday), 100% compliance

Day 10 (today)
I went a litle lower on the weights today so I could use more speed, better form and use the recommended rest periods.

Push press I went from 125 to 105 and it was much easier. I used 65’s on dumbell rows and had no prob. Stepups I used 45’s.

I must confess, I put 2 Triscuits in my mouth, chewed them up and spit them out. I really felt like If I swollowed them it would have blown the whole thing. There was a little devil on my shoulder saying “20 calories will not hurt you.” But I shewed him away. You may ask why did you do that? I can’t tell you but thats what I did.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.