Biotest

Biggest Loser-V-Diet Timing?

First post here.

I am involved in a BiggestLoser contest at work and we are having our FINAL weigh in in mid-May. I weighhed in a svelt 259.

My question is this: should I start with the V-Diet right off the bat or finish with it?

I certainly want to win the money but, I also want to keep it off for the summer (and hopefully forever). And I want to time it up correctly.

Some quick background that may be important:
2 years ago I won the Biggest Loser at my work (pathetically I am back in the competition again-reverse of my winning goal).

I was 256 pounds and dropped to 200 pounds in a matter of 2 months. Not healthy. Lugged on the treadmill and ate like a picky 8 year old.

I would appreciate some advice and thoughts. I am up for anything as far as difficulty etc… I have made a move here from MensHealth.com because they are just too preachy over there. I have gotten some great advice over there but, they frown about V-Diet like type things.

Thanks for any help you could give.

Kinda funny that the Men’s Health crowd is critical of the V-Diet. I know some higher-ups and writers for Men’s Health and Women’s Health who have consulted me on THEIR V-Diets. But on to your question…

Start Biggest Loser contest with V-Diet or end with it? Let’s look at both and then you can decide:

Start with V-Diet: You’ll drop fat quickly, then with the positive taste/craving changes in place and bad habits squashed, you’ll have an easier time keeping the fat loss going, especially with a strict Transition. Most V-Dieters who need to lose over 25 pounds continue to do so after the V-Diet itself ends.

End with V-Diet: Train hard and eat right and you’ll lose fat. Then, when the fat loss stalls or begins to slow, start the V-Diet to kick-start fat loss again. Ending with the V-Diet will also have you in a state where won’t have a lot of water “bloat” which might result in a lower scale weight.

So, up to you, but maybe that’ll help you decide.

Of course, the disadvantage of both options is that you’ll retain all lean muscle. Now, that’s actually a great thing, but your scale weight won’t reflect the losses of someone who loses fat AND muscle. Of course, without the metabolism damaging effects of muscle loss, you’ll win in the end by keeping the fat off and looking better to boot.

Keep us posted!

Chris,

Thanks for the timeley response.

Let me clarify on the Menshealth comment:
I am sure that the higher-ups at Menshealth wouldn’t have any negative comments on the V-Diet.

It would be the 20 forum people saying “you should only lose 2 pounds per week”, “you need to get your 6 small meals in”, you need to eat REAL food to lose". “You can’t cut corners” (even though the V-Diet is anything but “cutting corners”) type stuff.

The same people that tell you that a multi-vitamin is bad for you and that taking most supplements are wrong. “You can get everything you need from produce” type people.

I just don’t need that kind of advice right now.

I appreciate your insight. There are good factors on both sides for sure.

Last question: it seems as though what you are saying is that I would lose more weight if it was fat and muscle I lost. Correct?

I know this may sound ridiculous but, if I want to win I may need to lose both. Last time I definately lost both because I stopped weight training.

I remember still looking good after I won. Maybe I should look into something that always me to lose both and then start the V-Diet when I’m done?

If I could lose 40 pounds and win and then get on the V-Diet and lose that last 10 while building some muscle it may make for a great summer.

I know I am doing this ass backwards but, I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too. Win the competition by breaking my body down then build it back up with a fairly radical diet plan.

Thanks

Well, the advice to eat frequent meals, lots of healthy whole foods, etc. isn’t bad at all. That comes after the V-Diet of course, after the taste changes and a quick 20 pounds or so of fat comes off at record pace.

Honestly, most critics of the V-Diet don’t seem to understand that it’s just 28 days long, contains a few healthy solid meals, and sets you up for a lifetime of healthy eating by smashing bad dietary habits like nutrition rehab. They also fail to see that it provides more fiber than the average person gets, more protein, more healthful fats, 4-6 feedings a day, etc.

That stuff aside, please do not seek to lose muscle just to win a weight loss contest. The fat will come back, your health will suffer, and you’ll look like crap. That’s not worth however much prize money is involved.

Saw that last part coming. And I appreciate it,
I’m going to go with starting on the V-Diet and seeing the fat loss start rapidly.

Thanks Chris

Chris,

How much can someone expect to spend (supplements, shakes, etc) on the V-Diet?

[quote]mcargle wrote:
Chris,

How much can someone expect to spend (supplements, shakes, etc) on the V-Diet?[/quote]

Around $500

Hey Kennedy,

What have you decided to do first ? I have neglected writing in my journal, but still staying strong with the diet. I frickin loveeeee it !!! I never ever want to go back to real food, but I know that’s not a good idea. haha. Seriously, just know in the grand scheme of it all- 28 days is NOTHING. You can do it!!

[quote]Brianne23 wrote:
Hey Kennedy,

What have you decided to do first ? I have neglected writing in my journal, but still staying strong with the diet. I frickin loveeeee it !!! I never ever want to go back to real food, but I know that’s not a good idea. haha. Seriously, just know in the grand scheme of it all- 28 days is NOTHING. You can do it!![/quote]

Bri.

Thanks for writing. I am taking pics and measurements tomorrow. My supplements should be in Monday or Tuesday. Regardless I am starting Monday with the protein and supplements I have here. I will use the good stuff as soon as it gets in.

I am very excited to get started and appreciate any support. I enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for some inspiration.

Can’t wait to get started.

Thanks HogLover…good luck Kennedy–you can do it!!