Biotest

Beverages on V-Diet?

Is it just water?

Diet sodas allowed? Tea? Anything?

Try to stick to water as much as possible, and probably avoid too much caffeine (especially if you’re taking a thermo). But 1 or 2 diet sodas is fine I’m sure; it’s not like you’re already not getting a ton of artificial sweeteners in the shakes :wink:

Water is best. Tea and coffee is fine, but beware:

1. caffeine (HOT-ROX already has stimulatory properties) and…

2. added sugar, creamer, etc.

And for gosh sakes don’t turn “Chris said I could have coffee” into 900 calorie coffee drinks at Starbucks! [smiley face here]

I suggest mint green tea with a touch of Splenda.

I’m on Day 4 and have been having water with lemon.

It keeps away the slight headache and stomach ache that I attribute to HOT-ROX and minimal carbs, respectively.

I’m also a daily espresso drinker but when I had a cup on Day 2 I couldn’t finish it. Perhaps because I already had so much caffeine from the HOT-ROX.

And just fyi, I’ve been taking 2 HOT-ROX on non-workout days and 3 on workout days. In the morning, around lunch and before a workout which have been at 5 or 6pm.

Diet sodas are out?

[quote]wirewound wrote:
Diet sodas are out?[/quote]

I used to be a Diet Coke addict. But if you take HRX, you really won’t want or need additional caffeine. If HRX can cure me of my Diet Coke habit, it can cure anyone.

Unfortunately, I still don’t care for the taste of plain water, unless I’m in the middle of a workout, so I now drink Crystal Light type drinks and green tea.

There you go Shugs, another benefit of the V-Diet: it broke my soda habit.

But is it strictly verbotten?

When I get sick of water or am having a bad late night craving, I’ve been making a big 16 oz. glass of Crystal Light Peach Tea. It’s just enough to give my tastebuds a different flavor to enjoy. And since I make it with the individual flavor packets, it only has 10 calories (I only have 1 per day if at all).

I don’t see why diet sodas would be out. There’s nothing in them that isn’t already in the protein shakes you’re drinking 5 times a day. Except they’re a bit acidic, but I don’t think that would affect the diet.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
But is it strictly verbotten?[/quote]

No, not verbotten.

[quote]lowlight wrote:
I don’t see why diet sodas would be out. There’s nothing in them that isn’t already in the protein shakes you’re drinking 5 times a day. Except they’re a bit acidic, but I don’t think that would affect the diet.[/quote]

The sugary taste has the potential to cause cravings as well as take out the whole “change your taste for food” thing.

There have been a number of studies that show that sodas and diet sodas increase food cravings so it seems counter productive to include them.

For example:
“Diet foods could actually make you eat more, says a new report indicating that appetite-stimulating artificial sweeteners could be fattening up those trying to slim down with diet foods.
Aspartame – commonly known as NutraSweet – is a neurostimulant linked to stimulating appetite, says nutritional toxicologist Dr. Peter Dingle, adding that NutraSweet can actually make you hungry”

The V-Diet isn’t supposed to be easy so stop looking for ways to cut corners on it.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
lowlight wrote:
I don’t see why diet sodas would be out. There’s nothing in them that isn’t already in the protein shakes you’re drinking 5 times a day. Except they’re a bit acidic, but I don’t think that would affect the diet.

The sugary taste has the potential to cause cravings as well as take out the whole “change your taste for food” thing.

There have been a number of studies that show that sodas and diet sodas increase food cravings so it seems counter productive to include them.

For example:
“Diet foods could actually make you eat more, says a new report indicating that appetite-stimulating artificial sweeteners could be fattening up those trying to slim down with diet foods.
Aspartame – commonly known as NutraSweet – is a neurostimulant linked to stimulating appetite, says nutritional toxicologist Dr. Peter Dingle, adding that NutraSweet can actually make you hungry”

The V-Diet isn’t supposed to be easy so stop looking for ways to cut corners on it.
[/quote]
Umm you do realize what is in the protein shakes you’re drinking 5 times a day on the V-Diet right? Yup, same stuff that’s in a typical ‘modern’ diet soda. Not Asparatame (anymore), but other sweeteners. Sucralose, acesulfame-K, etc.

Diet sodas aren’t ‘cutting corners’. They’re just providing a refreshing drink that breaks the monotony of chocolate/strawberry/whatever shakes and water. Having 1 or 2 a day is no different from having a coffee or a tea, as long as you’re not adding calories to them.

The whole diet changes your tastes and cravings not because you aren’t having any sweets… After all - every single fn shake you are drinking is sweet - all 140+ of them you are drinking throughout the 4 week diet. Having a Sprite Zero every day isn’t going to set you back or likely make a single difference.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
lowlight wrote:

For example:

[/quote]
You were doing great until you pre-supposed my intentions for asking the question.

The reason I asked is so that I would know whether to remove soda from my home (to reduce temptations), or whether it would be okay.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
lowlight wrote:

For example:

[/quote]

Crewpiece, I saw your rant in T-Cell, but I think you’re a bit overboard on this one. I had a 24oz Diet Pepsi every day while on the V-Diet. Personally, I was never worried about cheating on the diet, so increasing my hunger wasn’t really a factor.

Honestly, after spending $400+ on supps for a diet I don’t see how anyone even CONSIDERS cheating on the diet. Also, as stated above, the shakes are all sweet anyways, and I don’t see how this is cutting a corner.

Additional caffeine comments make no sense, as a cup of coffee is allowed a day- regular non energy drink diet soda has less caffeine than a cup of coffee. Whats the difference between a cup of coffee with artificial sweetener vs. a diet soda?

A coke zero with a slice of lemon definitely helped me stick to the diet (never more than 2 per day).

Why would I NOT try to make the diet easier without compromising it? I am not a masochist.

Water. Just water. If you must, then look for one of those artificial flavorings that you mix with… water. Just make sure you add the extra carbs, calories and etc. into your calculations.

Why are so many people looking to cut corners? Do as you’ve been told and you’ll see the results you want. It’s that simple.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Water. Just water. If you must, then look for one of those artificial flavorings that you mix with… water. Just make sure you add the extra carbs, calories and etc. into your calculations.

Why are so many people looking to cut corners? Do as you’ve been told and you’ll see the results you want. It’s that simple.[/quote]

Here we go again, someone who thinks diet soda is cutting corners, while mixing artificial flavours and sweeteners into water isn’t. Can you even explain why you think this? The only difference now, is that one is carbonated and the other is not. How does carbonation “cut corners” on the V-Diet?

[quote]lowlight wrote:
Here we go again, someone who thinks diet soda is cutting corners, while mixing artificial flavours and sweeteners into water isn’t. Can you even explain why you think this? The only difference now, is that one is carbonated and the other is not. How does carbonation “cut corners” on the V-Diet?[/quote]

Ok, go for it, have your diet soda with the caffeine and what not. Never mind that the HOT-ROX you should be taking has plenty of caffeine in it. I never mentioned anything about it being carbonated.

But if you want to be wired all day and get sup-optimal sleep, be my guest.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
so I now drink Crystal Light type drinks and green tea.[/quote]

Quoted for the benefit of lowlight.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
lowlight wrote:
Here we go again, someone who thinks diet soda is cutting corners, while mixing artificial flavours and sweeteners into water isn’t. Can you even explain why you think this? The only difference now, is that one is carbonated and the other is not. How does carbonation “cut corners” on the V-Diet?

Ok, go for it, have your diet soda with the caffeine and what not. Never mind that the HOT-ROX you should be taking has plenty of caffeine in it. I never mentioned anything about it being carbonated.

But if you want to be wired all day and get sup-optimal sleep, be my guest.[/quote]

Except that Shugs himself wrote the diet with an additional cup of coffee per day. There is not that much caffeine in a regular diet beverage relative to a cup of coffee. Face it, having one a day doesn’t even qualify as a diet modification.