Biotest

Best Supplement for Baseball?

Greetings T-Nation,

Newbie here. I am a 17-yr. old rising senior in high school. I am a pitcher being recruited by a handful of Division I and several Division III schools and would like to improve my strength and overall performance. I am 6’2" and weigh about 190 lbs. I would categorize my physique as “soft” with some excess body fat and poor flexibility. Despite my limitations, I am pretty good pitcher (being left-handed helps).

I’ve been lifting since May (utilizing a specific weight lifting and throwing program aimed at improving velocity). The program involves rigorous throws using weighted baseballs and specific weight lifting exercises (e.g., dead lifts, front squats, reverse lunges, Zottman curls, etc.).

My supplements are basic. I take Millenium’s CRE creatine tablets 45 minutes prior to lifting and drink a generic (Whole Foods brand) whey protein shake following my workout. I try to watch my carbs and protein intake but pizza gets the best of me.

I am making the switch to Biotest supplements to not only help me with my workouts but also in game performance (pitching competitively in various Summer tournaments, showcases and school prospect camps).

I am placing an order for the following to start:

Plazma for pre-workout
MAG-10 for post-workout and in the morning on non-lifting days.

I want to start slow (one scoop of Plazma and one serving of MAG-10) to gauge my results and then make adjustments. I will probably add Indigo 3G later on but want to assess the Plazma/MAG-10 combo first.

I know both of these supplements come highly recommended for their impact on weight training, recovery and improved muscle gain; however, which (if any) of these two supplements is best when I take the mound and pitch competitively? If neither is optimal, is there another Biotest product you recommend?

I’d appreciate your thoughts on my plan and recommendation for in game performance.

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Gables wrote:
I’ve been lifting since May (utilizing a specific weight lifting and throwing program aimed at improving velocity). The program involves rigorous throws using weighted baseballs and specific weight lifting exercises[/quote]
I don’t want to speak out of turn or contradict your coaches, but just make sure you’re actually building a base and not just doing “sport-specific” work. Throwing weighted balls is, at best, relatively-advanced stuff.

Training for a near-bodyweight power clean and double-digit pull-ups, for example, would go a long way to building that base. Dan John and Eric Cressey have written a ton about training athletes. Cressey, in particular, works with a bunch MLB pros and MLB-bound players.

A good idea in general, but a poor application. Creatine tablets are super-inefficient and you generally need to take a bunch of pills to get a decent serving. That brand in particular is over-priced, under-dosed, and loaded with a kitchen sink-worth of junk. Creatine monohydrate or malate, in plain old powder form, is the best way to go.

As for the whey, any store brand is usually a compromise in quality because of what it takes to mass market a given product. You do definitely want some good protein and carbs when you train, so you’re on point there. The Plazma you mentioned getting will be a giant improvement.

I know what you’re saying, but at your height and a “soft” 190 on his way into college athletics, you’d do well to drop some fat and put on some muscle. Better now that later. Basic steps are the easiest, nothing drastic or extreme. This article lays out a few steps to take:

And this article has a good basic list of foods to stick with:

[quote]Plazma for pre-workout
MAG-10 for post-workout and in the morning on non-lifting days.[/quote]
Those are two of the best places to start, for sure. The Mag-10 could even basically replace your whey as a during the day/between meals protein, so there’s that.

Again, those two are a great place to start. If you had to, for budget reasons, you could use Surge Workout Fuel instead of Plazma before training or games. Other than that, sounds like you’re on the right track.

For game performance I would also consider Alpha-GPC and Brain Candy. Both increase focus and neural efficiency. Both will help you on the field of play.

Agreed with the above advice from both Chris and Christian.

Focusing on workout nutrition first, as you’re doing, is going to make a great difference for you, and your current plan is good.

On the Alpha-GPC and Brain Candy, that’s an area of considerable personal variation. You may find significant sports benefit from one of these products. Just as one example, I have some consistent and substantial improvements in some lifts with Alpha-GPC presumably due to greater neural activation, but personally (though very many do very well from it) Brain Candy doesn’t help me. Both products are definitely worth trying, one or both may improve performance on the field. As you know, it’s not just what your body can do in sports, it’s what you can do with your body.

After finding what Plazma and MAG-10 can do for you, Indigo-3G very likely would help you repartition your nutrition towards muscle building and away from fat, letting you get more muscular and leaner without necessarily needing to cut.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Gables wrote:
I’ve been lifting since May (utilizing a specific weight lifting and throwing program aimed at improving velocity). The program involves rigorous throws using weighted baseballs and specific weight lifting exercises[/quote]
I don’t want to speak out of turn or contradict your coaches, but just make sure you’re actually building a base and not just doing “sport-specific” work. Throwing weighted balls is, at best, relatively-advanced stuff.

I’m 100% comfortable with this program. It is rooted in science from a well-respected trainer with many collegiate and professional pitching clients (Driveline Baseball based in Washington). I appreciate your concern.

Training for a near-bodyweight power clean and double-digit pull-ups, for example, would go a long way to building that base. Dan John and Eric Cressey have written a ton about training athletes. Cressey, in particular, works with a bunch MLB pros and MLB-bound players.

I am very familiar with Cressey’s body of work. One of the best in the biz.

A good idea in general, but a poor application. Creatine tablets are super-inefficient and you generally need to take a bunch of pills to get a decent serving. That brand in particular is over-priced, under-dosed, and loaded with a kitchen sink-worth of junk. Creatine monohydrate or malate, in plain old powder form, is the best way to go.

As for the whey, any store brand is usually a compromise in quality because of what it takes to mass market a given product. You do definitely want some good protein and carbs when you train, so you’re on point there. The Plazma you mentioned getting will be a giant improvement.

You’ve confirmed my suspicions. My mom purchased these items based on a recommendation from her trainer. She freaked out about me trying supplements and I had to beg just to try creatine.

I know what you’re saying, but at your height and a “soft” 190 on his way into college athletics, you’d do well to drop some fat and put on some muscle. Better now that later. Basic steps are the easiest, nothing drastic or extreme. This article lays out a few steps to take:

And this article has a good basic list of foods to stick with:

[quote]Plazma for pre-workout
MAG-10 for post-workout and in the morning on non-lifting days.[/quote]
Those are two of the best places to start, for sure. The MAG-10 could even basically replace your whey as a during the day/between meals protein, so there’s that.

Again, those two are a great place to start. If you had to, for budget reasons, you could use Surge Workout Fuel instead of Plazma before training or games. Other than that, sounds like you’re on the right track.[/quote]

Thanks for the articles. I will absolutely read them and incorporate their teachings.

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like I am on the right track. I will definitely read the linked materials to further my education and look into the Brain Candy and Alpha-GPC as pre-game supplements that may enhance performance.

I’ve also read quite a bit about Finibars. How should I use the Finibars? Before taking the mound for a game or in between innings?