Biotest

Best Carbohydrate Sources?

Chris,

After coming off of the Velocity Diet or going on the 100 gram carb program…
I know that you personally try to limit grains in your own dietary strategy, so what would be your “Top 10 List” of carbohydrate sources?

Thanks!

Tactical workout drinks such as Surge Recovery and Surge Workout Fuel. Also FINiBAR.

Fruit.

A few starcher vegetables like sweet potatoes.

Beans

(There aren’t really 10 “great” carb sources.)

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Tactical workout drinks such as Surge Recovery and Surge Workout Fuel. Also FINiBAR.

Fruit.

Beans

[/quote]

Why would you list fruit as a good carb source?

1. It has a combination of sucrose and fructose–> sugar.

2. I just read an article which says “fructose goes straight to the liver and is stored as fat.” This would infer that the body has trouble using fructose for energy.

Here’s the article:

Lentils? Beans, some veggies,fruit

IDK just use rice

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:

Fruit.

Beans

[/quote]

Why would you list fruit as a good carb source?

1. It has a combination of sucrose and fructose–> sugar.

2. I just read an article which says “fructose goes straight to the liver and is stored as fat.” This would infer that the body has trouble using fructose for energy.

Here’s the article:

[/quote]

Fruit, when eaten in its own package (i.e. whole fruit, not fruit juice) usually contains plenty of fiber to blunt any negative insulin responses. It’s also filling compared to some other foods. Studies where overweight people add three apples a day without counting calories or exercising showed significant weight loss. Why? The apples displaced fattening foods.

From a “paleo” perspective, fruits are basically the carb source our bodies evolved to thrive on – not grass (grains), not rice, certainly not pasta and flour, etc.

And finally, from a common sense perspective, I’ve just never seen anyone get fat on fruit. Doesn’t happen in the real world. That 300 pounder in front of you at the checkout line? It ain’t caused by oranges.

Now, do you need 14 pieces of fruit per day? No. But a piece per day? No problem.

Fruit, when eaten in its own package (i.e. whole fruit, not fruit juice) usually contains plenty of fiber to blunt any negative insulin responses. It’s also filling compared to some other foods. Studies where overweight people add three apples a day without counting calories or exercising showed significant weight loss. Why? The apples displaced fattening foods.

From a “paleo” perspective, fruits are basically the carb source our bodies evolved to thrive on – not grass (grains), not rice, certainly not pasta and flour, etc.

And finally, from a common sense perspective, I’ve just never seen anyone get fat on fruit. Doesn’t happen in the real world. That 300 pounder in front of you at the checkout line? It ain’t caused by oranges.

Now, do you need 14 pieces of fruit per day? No. But a piece per day? No problem.

[/quote]

I agree, especially about the paleolithic perspective. However, fruits do not fill me up at all and I could literally eat a pound of fruit. Processed carbs fill me up, and I need to stay away from this. Anyway, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to eat low glycemic, sugar free, unprocessed carbs instead of fruit? Such as oatmeal, ezekiel cereal, ezekiel bread (occasionally), vegetables, sweet potatoes, nuts, and wheat pasta?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:

I agree, especially about the paleolithic perspective. However, fruits do not fill me up at all and I could literally eat a pound of fruit. Processed carbs fill me up, and I need to stay away from this. Anyway, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to eat low glycemic, sugar free, unprocessed carbs instead of fruit? Such as oatmeal, ezekiel cereal, ezekiel bread (occasionally), vegetables, sweet potatoes, nuts, and wheat pasta?[/quote]

Not for 80% of the population, if you believe Poliquin, Dr. Eades, and the paleo crowd. And I do think they’re onto something with that. I would much, much rather eat fruit that completely unnatural and “foreign to the body” wheat pasta and cereal. And I know from trying that the former doesn’t make me fat but the latter certainly does, and fast.

I do agree that most people don’t need a half-dozen servings of fruit per day. (I could easily overeat bananas myself, so I avoid them most of the time.) But, take the average overweight person and make them do that instead of heading for the Taco Bell drive-through and they’d lose weight and get healthier. Same thing would happen if you removed their “healthy” cereals.

In the end, we all have try everything and decide what works best for us. For me, that’s a little fruit, but no wheat flour/grasses.

Are all beans created equal? What are some of the best choices?

[quote]Ironbear wrote:
Are all beans created equal? What are some of the best choices? [/quote]

If you handle them well and aren’t too fearful of lectins (naughty part of the bean equation), red beans are the highest in antioxidants. I also like chickpeas (garbanzos) and black beans.

Most are pretty close in terms of health though. All are high in fiber; some are just higher – adzuki being one of the highest at 17g per cup.

The strict paleo types avoid beans because of the lectins, but I don’t sweat it too much. My main feeling is this: no one ever got fat eating beans.

I know that you told us to stay away from processed carbs especially bread. What about the Ezekiel flourless tortilla wraps?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
I know that you told us to stay away from processed carbs especially bread. What about the Ezekiel flourless tortilla wraps?[/quote]

I consider the Ezekiel products to be a step in the right direction. This is pretty much what I did, gradually removing all bread products from my diet.

If someone were going to have some bread and refused to skip it, then I’d recommend Ezekiel. But the ultimate goal is to drop the breads totally. But again, it’s a step in the right direction and at least it doesn’t contain HFCS.

Ok, next question. Protein bars contain carbs such as 32 carbs total (2g fiber, 28g sugar alcohol). Do you count the sugar alcohol as part of your carb intake? Universal Nutrition says no, but I’m not so sure. Carbs are carbs. But are sugar alcohol carbs even good for you; can they adequately be used t restore glycogen?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
Ok, next question. Protein bars contain carbs such as 32 carbs total (2g fiber, 28g sugar alcohol). Do you count the sugar alcohol as part of your carb intake? Universal Nutrition says no, but I’m not so sure. Carbs are carbs. But are sugar alcohol carbs even good for you; can they adequately be used t restore glycogen?[/quote]

No, sugar alcohols are pretty much non-foods. And worse, some of them are actually used as laxatives in hospitals. Which if you’ve ever eaten more than one of those fakey “low carb” bars you probably learned the hard way. Best minimized.