Biotest

Benjie's Cross!

Hi folks,

I’m embarking on the V-Diet tomorrow, so here’s my story.

I started training properly in 2005 & got in pretty decent shape, I’ll post the pics below.

I stayed in pretty decent condition until the beginning of last year, when I started to train with less intensity & paid less attention to what was going in my cakehole.

I also injured my lower back which meant that squatting, rowing & deadlifting have been out & still are with any decent weight.

I haven’t trained at all for the past 5 months as I’ve been trying to rehab my back & whilst it’s improved, it’s by no means “fixed”, which is in itself pretty annoying.

Along with no training over the past 5 months, my diet’s become even more appalling. I’ve been eating takeaways, 3 course restaurant meals & on some days next to nothing. I’ve also been enjoying the odd sherbet!

I’ve also got Type I insulin dependent diabetes, hasn’t stopped me doing anything yet, I’m just expecting to reduce my insulin doses from tomorrow.

My stats from this morning compared with December 2007 (which is when they were last recorded) are shocking:

Height 6’2"
Weight 208lbs (94.5kg)
Neck 16"
Shoulders 47"
Chest - upper 39.5" (thru’ nipples)
Chest - lower 36.5" (between nipples & upper abs)
Waist - navel 37"
Waist - largest (below navel) 37.5" (I’m pretty mad writing this!)
Hips - largest 41.5"
Upper arm L. 14" (unflexed)
Upper arm R. 14" (unflexed)
Upper leg L. 24.5"
Upper leg R. 24.5"
Lower leg L. 15.5" (3" below knee)
Lower leg R. 16" (3" below knee)
Ankle L. 9.5" (above malleoli)
Ankle R. 9.5" (above malleoli)

The pictures from this morning as you can see below are also terrible.

So I’m angry with where I am now and I’m starting here to claim back & improve on the body I had 18 months ago, with the goal of getting there by December of this year - goals are 8% body fat; 15 - 15.5 stone; stronger than I was before.

This V-Diet is the 1st step…

Sorry about the sideways picture of my belly at the top, enough to put anyone off reading further!

Front from this morning.

Side from this morning

Back from this morning

Only 3 years ago - I’m going to surpass this this year, hopefully with an improved facial expression!

Wow better then 3 yrs ago is a great target! Those pics are like two different people!

We’ve all had life and bad habits come up and bite us in the ass. But the important thing is to bite back. Glad to see you getting ready to chomp. Keep us posted!

Ive been exactly where youre at. I went from a lean 173 to a doughy 215 in a matter of half a year (thanks to a really dirty bulk), but now Im back down to a lean 185 after 4 weeks on this diet. If you stick with it and bust your ass youll be happy with the results.

Thanks for the posts guys!

I’ve had 1st shake this morning, seemed to go down ok & am about to have my 2nd before hitting the gym for my 1st V-Diet workout.

The 1st day’s almost over, so here’s my thoughts so far.

The shakes have generally been fine, like most they’re a little artificial & very sweet, but reasonably palatable. Let’s see whether I feel the same way after another few days though.

The V-Diet Monday intermediate workout proved what I already know, I’ve been training with very little intensity for much too long.

After finishing the workout today I was sweating more than I can remember & feeling pretty nauseous - this hasn’t happened to me for a long, long time, although this was the 1st time back in the gym training for 4-5 months.

Sticking to the rest periods was hard - 30secs was barely enough time to catch my breath; as was remembering to move the weight quickly, not sure whether anyone else has found this?

Front squat (low weight dictated by back injury) 65kg (143lbs)
5, 5, 5, 3, 2
I going to drop the weight next time in order to get the required depth - form’s important!

Chins
5, 4, 3, 3, 1, 2, 1, 1
I need to ensure I maintain intensity throughout. This is going to be essential for me on the back of my previous low intensity workouts.

Db bench press 32kg (70lbs)
5, 5, 5, 3, 2
I’m going to stick to this weight until the reps are done rapidly.

Ab wheel workout from knees
5, 5, 5, 5
I need to concentrate on keeping back flat.

Completed the workout in around 30 minutes, excluding 10 minutes of streching preworkout & 30 minutes of stretching & rehab related stability work post workout.

I had a bit of a wobble after the workout, as my blood sugar had risen on testing around an hour after the Surge thanks to the carbs in it. However I forgot this & gave myself more insulin, before embarking on my 45min NEPA. Cue sweating & low blood sugar.
I luckily was able to remedy the situation by having my dinner shake which has intrinsic carbs from the Metabolic Driven & I’m guessing from the Superfood an hour early. This boosted my blood sugar & I avoided having to resort to glucose gel!

There are duck gyoza in the oven as I type which are making me drool a little!

One more shake to go…

Nice job on day 1 workout! I have found with the shakes (I am on week 4) that some days they taste really good, other days…just yuck! I doctor mine up with extracts to give them some variety. On the sweating…diabetes withstanding, it may also be the HOT-ROX. I had a hard time with them the first several days - nausea, cold sweats and hot sweat. And - back away from the duck:)

Thanks Kim, I managed to resist the duck!

Day 2’s nearly over, I’ve just had my last shake!

Woke up this morning with DOMS in my lats & quads.

Straightening my arms was also uncomfortable because of the ache, but nothing in my chest.

I think this is a good sign.

I hopped off the tube 3 stops early tonight & walked for 50 minutes for my NEPA. I enjoyed the stroll & it made me realise how reliant I’ve become on utilising public transport for journeys I could walk.
I’m now walking to & from the gym & on the escalators, along with avoiding lifts.

I also did some rehab work for my lower back (mainly stretches) in the gym after my NEPA.

I also seem to have become hyperaware of the smell of food - the chippy & sandwich shop both smelt great today, but usually I don’t notice them.

I’ve also been using much less insulin which is great.

Nice! The DOMS should subside soon.

btw - you’re the only other person I have seen use the word ‘chippie’ I thought it was just me and my britishness!

Keep it up, you’ll be better than three years ago in no time!

[quote]x_alli_x wrote:
Nice! The DOMS should subside soon.

btw - you’re the only other person I have seen use the word ‘chippie’ I thought it was just me and my britishness!

Keep it up, you’ll be better than three years ago in no time![/quote]

I thought everyone in England knows what a chippy is!

Thanks for the encouragement,I’ve just checked out your log & you look like you’re making fantastic progress!

[quote]kimdowse wrote:
On the sweating…diabetes withstanding, it may also be the HOT-ROX. I had a hard time with them the first several days - nausea, cold sweats and hot sweat. And - back away from the duck:)[/quote]

Interesting you mention this, Kim. I have, on very rare occasions, experienced panic attacks. Now that I know what they are I can just blow them off and let 'em pass, but my first one, WOW! Anyway, I digress. I haven’t had one in probably five years, and then the other day, out of nowhere, I felt one coming on. (Good thing I was doing 75 mph on a freeway in Miami, or else it could have been serious. /sarcasm) I was wondering if it might have been the HOT-ROX contributing to this.

You will get used to the HOT-ROX, but it takes a few days. It can be pretty intense at first, although I am a stimulant kind of guy so I like it :slight_smile:

Good luck, Benjie, you can do it. As I have said to a few people who are just starting the diet, it will go by fast. I can also tell you from experience you will be pleased with the results! Hang in there.

[quote]benjie wrote:

I thought everyone in England knows what a chippy is!

Thanks for the encouragement,I’ve just checked out your log & you look like you’re making fantastic progress!

[/quote]

Well, you know, these kids these days… No respect for the traditional English food. It’s all chicken tikkas now (I hear that’s the most popular meal in England now).

Thanks for checking out my log!

stoked for you dude - I started my V-Diet on Sunday - looking good so far

[quote]Fonebone wrote:
kimdowse wrote:
On the sweating…diabetes withstanding, it may also be the HOT-ROX. I had a hard time with them the first several days - nausea, cold sweats and hot sweat. And - back away from the duck:)

Interesting you mention this, Kim. I have, on very rare occasions, experienced panic attacks. Now that I know what they are I can just blow them off and let 'em pass, but my first one, WOW! Anyway, I digress. I haven’t had one in probably five years, and then the other day, out of nowhere, I felt one coming on. (Good thing I was doing 75 mph on a freeway in Miami, or else it could have been serious. /sarcasm) I was wondering if it might have been the HOT-ROX contributing to this.

You will get used to the HOT-ROX, but it takes a few days. It can be pretty intense at first, although I am a stimulant kind of guy so I like it :slight_smile:

Good luck, Benjie, you can do it. As I have said to a few people who are just starting the diet, it will go by fast. I can also tell you from experience you will be pleased with the results! Hang in there. [/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence man, much appreciated, I’m going to have a look at your log in a sec!