Biotest

Benefits of Carbs in Mag-10?

What are the benefits of the carbs (cyclic dextrin) in mag10? I like to eat protein and fats for my first 3 meals. But now I will pulse when I wake up and between meal 1 and 2 and after training. Making the carbs the pulse better? Or is better to have it post workout when you need carbs?

Kind regards,

Bas

Two pulses of Mag-10 is still only about 20g carbs, so you’re still very low carb for the morning. No worries.

The isomaltulose and HBCDs in Mag-10 don’t cause a significant insulin spike, so they don’t really act the way most carbs do in the body. They also help transport the protein and aminos into the muscle cells without the stimulus of training.

There’s no problem sticking to the protein-fat meals in the AM with a pulse or two. It won’t throw off your plan and should only help overall.

1. Christian Thibaudeau mentioned that the leucine in Mag-10 can spike insulin and result in a low blood sugar during metabolic conditioning without there being a small amount of carbs present.

2. Cyclic dextrin does cause a rise in blood sugar and insulin, but it is slower and more extended than maltodextrin or glucose. From the research I have read, it keeps blood sugar “tighter” than faster glucose sources, so there is less of a spike and also less of a drop. It still acts fast, but the data suggests about 70-80% of the speed and blood sugar fluctuation as glucose. I have read original research about the effects of HBCD versus smaller glucose polymers AND tested it on individuals running a continuous glucose monitor, and HBCD is a “fast carb” but smoother than the others and reduces blood sugar spikes and insulin hypersecretion that can lead to low blood sugar. The peaks are generally about 10-15 points lower, the total glycemic curve is about 30% longer, with less rebound drop.

3. Leucine spikes crank up protein synthesis, but there is a lot of evidence that insulin magnifies this effect so the glucose helps turn on mTor by raising insulin during the leucine spike period. The increased insulin shuttles leucine into muscle faster and probably allows for a faster “reset” to baseline leucine levels.

4. Since HBCD is composed of much larger molecules than other carb sources, there is less osmotic pressure pulling water into the stomach (and out of the bloodstream and muscles) from HBSD. This prevents cramping and stomach upset. It may be the best benefit of specifically HBCD since other liquid carbs can pull a lot of water into the digestive tract.

Isomaltulose (in Mag-10 and Plazma) is unique because it can only be broken down in the small intestine, meaning that you get a delayed “tail” of blood sugar from it 2-3 hours out which can reduce the likelyhood of rebound hypoglycemia. In addition, HBCD and Isomaltulose can’t be broken down by oral bacteria that can lead to tooth decay.