Biotest

Beginner Question

I am fixing to start SS next week when I meet with a SS trainer. I’m 5’10 and currently weigh 154lbs. I’m looking to bulk up and add strength. What supplements do recommend taking with this type of program? Will be lifting 3 days/wk. Currently still trying to adjust my calorie intake. Any suggestions on that? Thanks in advance.

I’d definitely start with Plazma, and it’s entirely likely that Plazma alone will be all you need for a long time for excellent results. Another possible addition would be Metabolic Drive as a convenient protein source, but if you have no problem getting ample protein from food then a drink source isn’t necessary.

On calories, there’s a lot of individual variation. Your existing maintenance calories plus Plazma for the workout and a modest addition such as 500 calories per day should be plenty, and might be an overshoot though it’s possible it might become low as you gain more muscle.

It’s unproductive to gain fat at anything past a rather slow rate, such as a couple of pounds a month. That rate is so slow as to be hard to detect when done correctly, unless rather lean in which case as little as two pounds can be clear.

Allowing no fat gain at all doesn’t allow maximum muscle gain.

If overshooting a bit to a fat gain of 1 lb per week, or 4 lb per month, this is a little inefficient because it causes more time to be (in effect) lost to gains later, as it requires dieting time. But it can be better to overshoot the optimum than fail to gain fat at all.

It’s not that the gaining of fat itself is beneficial, but the hormonal environment created by the surplus, as well as the ample calories themselves, really aid in gaining muscle.

[quote]pain4gain77 wrote:
I am fixing to start SS next week when I meet with a SS trainer. I’m 5’10 and currently weigh 154lbs. I’m looking to bulk up and add strength. What supplements do recommend taking with this type of program? Will be lifting 3 days/wk. Currently still trying to adjust my calorie intake. Any suggestions on that? Thanks in advance.[/quote]
Yep, like Bill said, I’d probably go with Plazma before and during training, and one or two Metabolic Drive shakes (preferably in whole milk, with some fruit or random other goodies in them), on top of three good meals everyday - with protein, good carbs, and healthy fats in each meal.

Simple and straight-forward. Weigh-in once a week (first thing in the morning, after the bathroom but before food) and adjust the nutrition depending on progress.

Thanks for the responses. I’m still having a tough time with figuring my calorie intake. I seem to get different answers on maintenance values. Have seen anywhere from about 2400/day to 3400/day from different sources. I don’t have a clue where I should be shooting for to start bulking. thanks

You could eat what instinctively seems a maintenance amount and track that for a few days: that will be an accurate-enough estimate of your personal maintenance at present.