Biotest

Beef Jerky

Beef Jerky                           

I know there’s a few lackluster threads on the main site about beef jerky, but I figured I’d add it here because I just made a great batch yesterday.

You’ll need:

An Oven (derp)
Wood Skewers
5 lbs top round (as lean possible)
1/4 Cup low sodium Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tbsp Garlic Powder

I purposely left salt out, because I hate over salted store bought jerky. Thats the main reason I made my own. If you want to add a little salt to taste, go ahead, but this recipe is great as is.

1. Freeze the beef for 1-1.5 hours to harden and make the slicing process easier.
  2. Slice the beef with the grain (length-wise), into 1/8 inch wide strips.
  3. Marinade the beef in ziploc bags with the above mixture overnight.
  4. Preheat the oven around 180-200 degrees. Put the top rack at the very top setting and the bottom rack at the very bottom setting. Make sure to cover the bottom rack in foil to catch any drippings (there weren’t many)
  5. Skewer the beef as seen in the picture allowing the beef to hang with the skewers resting on the top rack. Make sure any of the beef strips arent touching becuase they wont dry sufficently.
  6. Cook (dry) for 8-10 hours.
  7. If at the end of that time the beef isnt dry, bending and almost snapping, then shut the oven off and leave in to dry overnight.

Tastes good, man.

Nice.

Never tried making my own. The store bought kind sometimes adds a lot of sugar.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Nice.

Never tried making my own. The store bought kind sometimes adds a lot of sugar. [/quote]

Added sugar and salt, no need for it here. In case anyone is wondering, 5lbs of meat makes about 3 lbs of jerky.

Another fun marinade is based on Vinegar barbeque sauce.
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I sub splenda here and it still works)

I typically use the above with 4 pounds of Top Round. I do use a dehydrator, but the steps are the same as outlined in the opening post. It’s done when you can twist it and it’ll crack.

Sweet, that’s a great camping snack too. Gonna be trying that real soon.

[quote]JaguarPGP wrote:
Sweet, that’s a great camping snack too. Gonna be trying that real soon.[/quote]

Its a great work snack too. You have it right in front of you, so you’re less likely to get chips or a candy bar. Plus its physically impossible to eat it fast unless you’re a lion. But if you are a lion you probably cant read this post or let alone turn on a computer.

Anyone know how long this stuff “keeps” for? I try to do things in the largest possible batches (I’m lazy).

If you place the jerky in a paper bag and place in fridge it will last for months. Don’t ever place in plastic bag. If there is any fat at all on your meat or there will be condensation, and cause you meat to spoil. Even if you think you got all the fat off, better to put in paper bag.

Thanks for the pro-tip, Miller.