I know there’s a few lackluster threads on the main site about beef jerky, but I figured I’d add it here because I just made a great batch yesterday.
An Oven (derp)
5 lbs top round (as lean possible)
1/4 Cup low sodium Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
I purposely left salt out, because I hate over salted store bought jerky. Thats the main reason I made my own. If you want to add a little salt to taste, go ahead, but this recipe is great as is.
- Freeze the beef for 1-1.5 hours to harden and make the slicing process easier.
- Slice the beef with the grain (length-wise), into 1/8 inch wide strips.
- Marinade the beef in ziploc bags with the above mixture overnight.
- Preheat the oven around 180-200 degrees. Put the top rack at the very top setting and the bottom rack at the very bottom setting. Make sure to cover the bottom rack in foil to catch any drippings (there weren’t many)
- Skewer the beef as seen in the picture allowing the beef to hang with the skewers resting on the top rack. Make sure any of the beef strips arent touching becuase they wont dry sufficently.
- Cook (dry) for 8-10 hours.
- If at the end of that time the beef isnt dry, bending and almost snapping, then shut the oven off and leave in to dry overnight.
Tastes good, man.