Biotest

Banker's V-Diet

I am 28 years old and have a desk job that I put around 60 hours a week in at. I was very active until college, then I took up drinking and smoking (I am hoping a side benefit will be to quit smoking as well).

My hope is to get down to 195lbs. and then work on strength. Hell, maybe I�??ll actually get some coordination back as well. This will be my starting point I just received my gear today and will be starting tomorrow, 9/05/08.

I am planning on spreading the shakes out. I workout at 5:15 am, so I think I’ll have one scoop before that and then 1 with peanut butter at 7:30 (the Surge always fills me up) 2 scoops with Flameout at 10, 2 scoops with flax at 12 and 6, and 1 scoop at 3 and 9.

With the fiber tablets that will put me at 1808 for workout days. I will be following close to the same for non-work out days with calories at 1468.

Full breakout would be:
Workout: 1808cals, 51.5fat, 100carb, 258.5protein
non: 1468cals, 48fat, 54carb, 213.5protein

Does this look ok? I have it all in excel sheets, but can’t figure how to get them on.

The measurements scared the shit out of me. I never let it register how much I was sucking in.

Stats: 5 11 sept 4
Weight 215
belly 42
upper leg 24.5 b
lower leg 16
chest (nipples) 43
between belly button and nipples 39
shoulders 48
upper arm 13.5
lower arm 12
neck 16.5

[quote]needresults wrote:
I am 28 years old and have a desk job that I put around 60 hours a week in at. I was very active until college, then I took up drinking and smoking (I am hoping a side benefit will be to quit smoking as well).

My hope is to get down to 195lbs. and then work on strength. Hell, maybe I�??ll actually get some coordination back as well. This will be my starting point I just received my gear today and will be starting tomorrow, 9/05/08.

I am planning on spreading the shakes out. I workout at 5:15 am, so I think I’ll have one scoop before that and then 1 with peanut butter at 7:30 (the Surge always fills me up) 2 scoops with Flameout at 10, 2 scoops with flax at 12 and 6, and 1 scoop at 3 and 9.

With the fiber tablets that will put me at 1808 for workout days. I will be following close to the same for non-work out days with calories at 1468.

Full breakout would be:
Workout: 1808cals, 51.5fat, 100carb, 258.5protein
non: 1468cals, 48fat, 54carb, 213.5protein

Does this look ok? I have it all in excel sheets, but can’t figure how to get them on.

[/quote]

The last couple of paragraphs didn’t show until I quoted your post (very strange). In terms of does it look ok, yeh (but its 4.40 am here in Ireland and my brain is slowing down). You’'ve done your backround reading by the looks of it. I presume you’re also intending to follow the weight training plan??

Good luck with this anyway. The first couple of days can be weird/tough but it gets a LOT easier.

Way back to bed now ;o)

Hey Banker! I just started my success journey today and it looks as though our stats are pretty close. Good luck man, I bet working full-time plus this diet will be very tough, but you can do it and in the end you will have gained more in integrity than the weight and money you have invested.

Feel free to check out my log, it will be nice to have someone starting so close to me.

P.S. What workout will you be performing?

Oh and btw your numbers/protein shake schedule looks solid to me.

needresults,

Hey welcome to the V-Diet. I am on day five and doing fairly well. My weigh in will be tomorrow and I am looking for good things.

Up will have your up and down days and even hours, but hang tough. The rewards will be great!

What is it with you guys always looking for the below the 200 mark! With us ladies I think we usually mark more in pounds. LOL! I just noticed this was a repeating statement amoung us.

Stay strong and look for motivation and support here.

fitnesslady

Good luck on the journey brother, if we all put our minds to it we should be able to get through this diet with fantastic results.

The bad thing is that most of us are still overestimating the weight that we need to be at to be truly lean. However, most of us realize that getting under two hundred pounds is a great start and an acheivable goal in a relatively short period of time.

Thanks for the feedback. Fitnesslady good luck on the weigh in, I hope you get those 5 pounds. I will be following the beginners workout suggested for this diet. I am used to higher reps, and want to get used to the higher weight. Do you think there would be a problem switching the body weight squats for weighted Hack Squats? I like the cardio-vascular pump I get from them.

I am not sure about nepa walks. I do alot of stairs daily (2 flights around 15-30 times a day), and I already try to add walking in places. I take it walking incline on a treadmill might be counter productive? What programs are you guys following?

Delta22 our stats and goals are close. It will actually be great to follow your thread as it will keep me going, kind of one of those if he can do it, I can. Your NEPA looks extreme. have you had any further feed back?

needresults,

I actually chose not to follow the excercise developed, but do a good one on my own. Partly because I am unfamiliar with some of the excercises listed and partly because I could never get a good circuit training at my gym.

NEPA walks can be done on treadmill with incline if that is all you got. I actually walk for 30 minutes Monday, Wednesday and Friday on treadmill and do 4 miles outside Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday. Right now I am helping my husband mow on Tuesday’s so that is my NEPA walk for that day. All the extra steps you can get has to help in so many ways.

I’ll have to let someone else comment about the question you had about switching excercises out.

Have a great weekend.

Stay strong!!

fitnesslady

I meant to post last night, but got caught up in a book. I am afraid to say it, but day 1 was easy, do to the nature of my job. It is all consuming. (I am the one who puts out all the fires, and I have 44 projects due by the end of the year.) Because of the spacing of my shakes, I found that after I finished one, I only had 30 minutes left till the next. Last night was different, normally I hit the bars with my friends, and sleep in till 10. This morning I was up at 5.

I am not happy with my workout this morning. I am just not used to doing so few reps. I am also uneasy with benching max weights, without a spotter. Oh, well. Here are the weights I began with, I will be bumping them up. I ended up doing more reps.
Pull down 150lbs 4x8. decline 50 dbs 4x6-8. ground squat machine 225lbs 4x10. My cardio sucks, I get pain up my shins after 2 miles of walking. But when I am out walking in the corse of a normal day, I can walk all day and not have any issue. This should go away as I adapt. Now what to do with my day?

Hey needresults,

A very wise person told me to make sure that when you walk on a treadmill, that you have at least an incline of 1 to keep the shin split pain away. I always start with 1, but warm up to 5.5 incline on treadmill at gym, but each one differs… My one at home I can only go 3 incline.

I answered your question about the salt, but I will answer again. Try Celtic Sea Salt. I use once daily 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp in water. I really started using to support my adrenals, but it is so much better than table salt and you don’t get the bloating and swelling that can happen with regular table salt. Go to celticseasalt.com and read about. You need the gray course salt for water and the finely ground is great for shrinkling on foods. You need the gray salt. It is slightly moist. I even put some on my peanut butter/flax connoction the other night.

fitnesslady

Fitnesslady - Thanks for the heads up on the treadmill I will give it a try, I will also give the celtic sea salt a look.

Day 2 - Sucked! The weekends will definitely be the toughest part of this transformation. I just do not have much constructive to do. However, I kept to the diet and did the NEPA and workout. I already screwed up. I realized I missed a rotation on the workout, no wonder I was upset with the results. I tried to hold off on shakes yesterday, so I had more when I went out. Some how I ended up missing a shake. I do not think I will try that again. I have a few questions.

1. I grind my own flax seed, I have been doing this for years (great for digetive track). I am not sure I am using enough. How do I know?
  2. HSMs are once a week, right? How do you decide what to have? I know to keep it healthy, but should I be calculating the macro-nutrients and offsetting the number of shakes I have for that day?
  3. Would it be possible to start a “Tricks for the V-Diet Tread”? I have only been on for two days and have some. It could be a place to post recipes (although how creative can you get with this stuff), and other tid-bits.

Some of the things I have learned. Weekends Suck! Cinnamon is great with chocolate shakes. Make sure you have other flavors then chocolate before starting. Use a powdered milk dispenser for shakes[ http://www.babyearth.com/nuby-milk-powder-dispenser.html ](I have two of these, each one holds 3 separated scoops of md. Makes carrying and making shakes on the go a snap.) If you are separating your shakes out, add the pb and/or flax to the single scoop (makes it much more filling). If you can afford it Superfood is your friend (This is my reward, it is like a fruit tea and I get to decide when to reward myself, helps get over those humps.)
Thanks for any feedback, and stay strong.

Weekends do suck for this diet, especially when summer is winding down and it is so nice out for those last summer Bar-B-Que’s.

I am so lucky I planned my second week when hubby was away. I won’t have to suffer thru cooking and then cleaning up afterwards. I still have plenty of dishes though, because I can’t put the shake bottles I use in dishwasher. WAHH!

The flax seed question, I use the milled flax seed and one serving is two tablespoons according to package. I am not very good at eating the flax. I do not like in my shakes and I tried putting it in my peanut butter at night and I had so much heartburn, that I left it out for a couple days and my heartburn got better when eating peanut butter. I really think it is from the peanuts though. So I guess right now I am not getting my flax in.

Your HSM, well definately some protein, a good low carb vegie and a salad. I just eliminated one shake on my menu plan. I suppose the more calories you consume, the more shakes you need to leave out. I guess for me I tried to keep as close to my numbers as possible.

banu started a thread about different tricks she had learned. Read that and post there or just post in your thread.

Stay strong!

fitnesslady

Day 2 - Sucked! The weekends will definitely be the toughest part of this transformation. I just do not have much constructive to do. However, I kept to the diet and did the NEPA and workout. I already screwed up.

I realized I missed a rotation on the workout, no wonder I was upset with the results. I tried to hold off on shakes yesterday, so I had more when I went out. Some how I ended up missing a shake. I do not think I will try that again. I have a few questions.

1. I grind my own flax seed, I have been doing this for years (great for digetive track). I am not sure I am using enough. How do I know?

2. HSMs are once a week, right? How do you decide what to have? I know to keep it healthy, but should I be calculating the macro-nutrients and offsetting the number of shakes I have for that day?

3. Would it be possible to start a “Tricks for the V-Diet Tread”? I have only been on for two days and have some. It could be a place to post recipes (although how creative can you get with this stuff), and other tid-bits.

Some of the things I have learned. Weekends Suck! Cinnamon is great with chocolate shakes. Make sure you have other flavors then chocolate before starting.

Use a powdered milk dispenser for shakes[ http://www.babyearth.com/nuby-milk-powder-dispenser.html ](I have two of these, each one holds 3 separated scoops of md. Makes carrying and making shakes on the go a snap.) If you are separating your shakes out, add the pb and/or flax to the single scoop (makes it much more filling).

If you can afford it Superfood is your friend (This is my reward, it is like a fruit tea and I get to decide when to reward myself, helps get over those humps.)

Thanks for any feedback, and stay strong.[/quote]

I agree about weekends. Try and stay busy and focused.

Some answers

1. Two tablespoons

2. No. Just keep it real clean. Don’t worry about macros or even calories (to an extent). I would go with some scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and oatmeal in the morning. Or a piece of chicken/fish/steak with veggies and a salad for lunch/dinner.

3. I think it is a good idea. You may want to use the search function first though. The thread probably already exists.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to pick up one or two of those thingys. My plastic bags waste too much of the powder.

Day 5 -
I am so glad the work week has started. I never thought I would say that, but I have been so busy during the day that I missed a shake and PB last night.

It has been an interesting couple of days. Yesterday, as soon as he found out I was on a diet, my boss went out and bought Pizza for everyone. Last night was Pool league, first time in 5 years I have not drank while playing.

Also, the bar was having a special, 1/2 price menu. I watched as cheese fries, tenderloins, breaded and fried everything was consumed at my table. Luckily I had held off on an earlier shake and had a double right before I went in. I did smoke 2 cigarettes, but that is a far cry from the usual pack. I have been sleeping really heavy since the start of this diet and having issues getting moving in the morning.

Today I had to attend a corporate lunch. After trying to explain why I was not eating at least 12 times, it was finally dropped. I think it is interesting that people subconsciously want others to fail at something because they know they can not do it. I had 5 different people trying to talk me out of the diet. I am continuously told that I do not need to lose weight. I am 5’11 215lbs I need to lose weight.

On a positive note I received the rest of my kit this afternoon (I finally get a break from chocolate. Currently drinking a 2 scoop strawberry, not to shabby.)
I am a little concerned, is it an issue if I am not exactly on schedule with my shakes, or if I miss one?

Tomorrow night should be interesting I am going to the USA vs Trinidad game and I am sure there will be plenty of junk food. I am not sure if I will be able to get anything into the game to eat either. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am definitely looking forward to the first HSM (lean meat, BIG Salad with lots of vegetables, maybe with hard boiled egg). Does anyone have suggestions on how to cook a chicken breast.

Thursday night is weigh in and measurements. I hope I see something to justify the first week. Does anyone have any input on how long it takes for the body to switch to burning fat?

Fitnesslady - Thanks for the info and pointing me to banu’s thread. I only made it through a couple of pages, but was rolling half the time. Whatever!)

CharlieStrange - Thanks for the input. I never realized how much; money, time, Life, I have been wasting drinking, and being hung over. The bachelor pad is actually clean, or least what passes for clean for me.

day 6 -
It was a hectic day. I did my workout today and it felt pretty good, other than failing and bouncing a db off my ribs. Because of my schedule I only got 4 scoops of md and 2 scoops of Surge in between 5 and 4. I chugged another double at 5:00 and I am trying to get another one down right now.

I have not been able to get all of my shakes and pb in the last couple of days, but I haven’t been hungry. I do not really understand. I am not complaining I am just worried that either I have my measurements all wrong or I may be taking too few calories and slowing my metabolism. I am hoping for some good numbers tomorrow. It will be kind of tough to keep this up if I don’t. I have held my beginning pics, but will probably post comparisons tomorrow.

day 6 -
It was a hectic day. I did my workout today and it felt pretty good, other than failing and bouncing a db off my ribs. Because of my schedule I only got 4 scoops of md and 2 scoops of Surge in between 5 and 4. I chugged another double at 5:00 and I am trying to get another one down right now.

I have not been able to get all of my shakes and pb in the last couple of days, but I haven’t been hungry. I do not really understand. I am not complaining I am just worried that either I have my measurements all wrong or I may be taking too few calories and slowing my metabolism. I am hoping for some good numbers tomorrow. It will be kind of tough to keep this up if I don’t. I have held my beginning pics, but will probably post comparisons tomorrow. [/quote]

Isn’t it strange that it is hard to drink all the shakes sometimes? Considering the low caloric intake (compared to most of our previous diets) you’d think we would be jonesing for more.

Anyway, remember to make sure and drink the recommended amount. You don’t want to lose muscle during the diet.

Keep going!

day 10

I have not posted in a while. I had to get a sd card reader to upload pics. These did not come out so well. but oh well. I had my cheat meal yesterday. I went with some friends to Ruth’s Chris. Only the second time I have eaten there.

It was amazing… I had a salad with balsamic and a few vegetables, then a filet I thought I would be able to cut with a fork. whewww… I think it might be easier not to have cheat meals.

I did not have real cravings before, but since have been jonesing for pizza, or asparagus with red onions and tomatoes. First week results were good, but I can do better. I have to get better workouts in and make sure to include NEPA everyday.

I will post those along with my before and 1st week pics after this post. Bonus is this is the longest I have gone with out alcohol in 9 years. It has been rough on the social life, but everyone is getting comfortable with it. I also have only smoked 9 cigarettes.

Normally would have had around 4 by now. Cognitive abilities are coming up; Interesting. Can anyone recommend a good cross trainer shoe?

Measurements:
Weight: 209 loss 6
naval: 39 loss 3
Upper ab: 37 loss 2
chest: 44 gain 1
shoulders: 49 gain 1
neck: 15.5 loss 1
bi: 13 loss .5
fore arm: 12.5 gain .5
thigh: 24 loss .5
calves: 16 same

Measurements look good, but as I said I need to do better. I definitely feel firmer. Next Pics