Biotest

Audreyp's Newbie Log

better late than never, actually started this yesterday, so it’s day 2 and it seems like a long way to go. the shakes aren’t bad, except the vanilla is very sweet and the Surge is like downing wet sugar. A bit on the sweet side, but they are filling. I’ve already eaten low carb and I’ve done some intermittent fasting, so getting hungry is not so bad, that I can deal with. in fact, so far, sometimes I feel hungry but I don’t really want to eat.

stats:
height 63"
weight 141.2
shoulders 39.75"
chest 34.5"
waist 31.75"
hips 38.75"

the great thing about this is that I’m doing it with my best friend. he’s the best, he’s very motivating and full of encouragement! I know I wouldn’t finish this without him.

morning of day 3 and I feel great! slept really well last night, that makes a huge difference.

yesterday, after taking a short walk and going back up the stairs to my office, I was so worn out that I had to sit down and rest, could have fallen asleep right then and there. it was right after shake #1 and I hadn’t slept very well, so I’m hoping today will be lots better. we’re doing the intermediate workout, reverse lunges today, yeah! and we’re also training for a tough mudder in October so we’ll be running 4 miles tonight, woohoo.

time to get ready for work!

so the weight estimates for my workouts still need some tweaking, guess I’m not that good at it yet. started light on some and an elbow injury is not helping when I try to increase the weight on some of the exercises.

the reverse lunges were really hard, but I think I can do more on the push press and the bent over rows, oh well, I get 3 more tries to get this right.

reverse lunges 35s: 9, 8, 8, 7, 8
bent over rows (bb) 55 (way too light): 12, 65: 9, 9, 9, 75: 1
push press 25s: 9, 27.5s 9, 9, 9, 4
barbell curl 30 (that darn elbow): 9, 9, 9, 9, 4

my shakes seem to get bumped up together in the evening, ended up having 2 shakes in a row tonight at 9 plus the nut butter (yummy!). but I think it might be helping me sleep since I am quite full after just one, and I haven’t been waking up hungry! Yeah!

day 3 done - sleepy time :slight_smile:

end of day 4 and I am tired, cranky and hungry for food. shouldn’t be, but I am already tired of drinking shakes all day. I don’t feel bad, but I don’t feel good, no serotonin doing little dances in my head. don’t know if anyone else experiences this, but I also get very cold even though it’s summer and the weather is still warm.

right now it seems like 28 days is forever. each day lasts a long, long time.

I’ve been bodybuilding for about 20 years and I have never done anything like this. Did a contest, and I did cut carbs to almost nothing for the diet, but at least I was chewing on food. This seems harder, or maybe I just forgot how awful it was then. Good lord, shoot me if I get out of shape again!

[quote]audreyp wrote:
end of day 4 and I am tired, cranky and hungry for food. shouldn’t be, but I am already tired of drinking shakes all day. I don’t feel bad, but I don’t feel good, no serotonin doing little dances in my head. don’t know if anyone else experiences this, but I also get very cold even though it’s summer and the weather is still warm.

right now it seems like 28 days is forever. each day lasts a long, long time.

I’ve been bodybuilding for about 20 years and I have never done anything like this. Did a contest, and I did cut carbs to almost nothing for the diet, but at least I was chewing on food. This seems harder, or maybe I just forgot how awful it was then. Good lord, shoot me if I get out of shape again![/quote]
Yeah, I noticed a drastic decrease in my body temperature during the first week of the diet. I was cold all the time. From what I have heard, this is not uncommon when going to a low carb diet. While the V-Diet isn’t zero carb, it is most certainly a drastic reduction in carbs from what your body is used to. The good news is that it passes, at least it did for me.

thanks hockeydawg, it’s good to know that someone else has felt that way too. I do seem to be a little warmer most of the time, I think it gets worse if I’m late getting to my shake.

now to try to catch up. Friday’s workout was great, I think it is my favorite. did dips assisted because of this damn elbow injury, still hurts some and I don’t want to make it worse. did ab wheel (I didn’t have one with me monday so I switched the walkouts with the ab wheel) was done with a medicine ball, those suckers are hard!

deadlift 135: 8,7,6,6,6,5,4,4
dips (assisted) -60: 9, -50: 9, -40: 9, -30: 9,4
lat pulldown 80: 8,9 90: 6,6,6,5
ab wheel: 10,10

slept in saturday until 11:30am!! I never sleep in that late, and it felt awesome! did lots of NEPA walking that day too. all in all, it was probably the best day so far.

today we did the V-burn challenge, I believe it was the intermediate one. 6 rounds, 10 reps each.

round time
1 5:10
2 9:24
3 13:35
4 17:46
5 21:44
6 25:57

times are cumulative, so total time for all rounds = 25:57, not great but not bad, killer push-ups and just trying to remember what I was supposed to do next added up so maybe it will be better next time. really looking forward to tomorrows workout!

didn’t really finish catching up. Sundays HSM was really, really, good! Had ribs, bbq beef, collard greens, some fabulous cooked cabbage, potatoes that tasted like heaven and some cherries. Loved it all. It was hard to get not eat again on Monday.

Week 1 stats:
weight 137.4 (-3.8)
shoulders 39 1/8 (-5/8)
chest 33.25 (-1.5)
waist 31 (-.75)
hips 38 (-.75)

not bad considering I’m not as overweight as most who try this diet. The worst part was, I was getting too soft, physically and mentally.

Mondays workout:
front squat 115: 4,5,5,4,2
lat pulldown 110: 5,5,5,5
db bench 35s: 6,6,6,2
ab wheel (using 10lb med ball) 10,10

the front squats were super hard and the last 2 weren’t very good at all. I really hate front squats cuz they hurt my shoulders and leave bruises. Would soooooo much rather be doing back squats.

this week is going much better (and faster) than last week. Most of the nauseous feelings are gone and I don’t feel wiped out when the HOT-ROX wears off anymore. I finally feel skinnier and my jeans fit better too. Still have one pair that I’m not trying on til the end, they were very tight and when I gained 10 lbs I quit trying to wear them at all. It will be fantastic if I can get in them again.

one great thing I’ve been noticing this week, being hungry isn’t bothering me (at least for right now). We started eating a modified paleo diet last January so my carb intake went way down from before, plus we practiced intermittent fasting now and then. I think these two things have been a great benefit to me while v-dieting. I know the paleo diet caused my blood sugar to even out, no more crazy ups and downs, getting shaky and irritable and foggy when I didn’t eat at regular intervals. And the intermittent fasting helped me manage hunger, particularly while I’m at work.

The v-diet is still really, really hard. There are plenty of times when I feel lousy from the lack of happy hormones hitting my grey cells. At those times, it takes a lot of discipline not to eat food. And it requires some patience to get through all 28 days, especially when you are feeling kinda blah and the end still seems like a long way off. If it weren’t for the insane support I get from my boyfriend, I don’t think I would make it. At first I didn’t even want anyone to know I was doing this in case I quit. Yesterday I was telling some co-workers just how well it is working!

I really think when I finish this diet it will be a great accomplishment!

looking forward to tomorrows workout, it’s my fave

[quote]audreyp wrote:
At first I didn’t even want anyone to know I was doing this in case I quit. Yesterday I was telling some co-workers just how well it is working![/quote]

Absolutely. “Going public” is a strong motivator to stay the course. When other people know what you are doing, it’s harder to have to explain to them why you failed. Similar to keeping an active log here, the people around you can help keep you on task.

Great to see that you are still chugging along, and you are absolutely correct, completing the V-Diet is a huge accomplishment.

@hockeydawg - read through some of your indigo 3G log, sounds like the v-diet really helped you mentally focus on your goals. You seem to know yourself pretty well too. I think that’s half the battle, understanding what you do in certain situations and what you do that causes you not to reach your goals, denial probably being the biggest one. In the first week and a half of this diet, I went from being afraid that I would deprive myself of food for 4 weeks and not lose anything, not achieve what the diet was intended to do (i.e. lose weight, body fat, etc), to thinking that just finishing 28 days without giving up says way more about what I CAN DO, than losing a few inches.

so now some more catch up:

Wed workout
reverse lunges 35s: 8,8,8,9,7
bent over rows 75: 9,9 85: 7,7,6,2
push press 30s: 10,9,8,8,5
bb curl 30: 10, 40: 6,6,6,7,5
reverse crunch 10,10,10,10

thinking I can go up to 40s on the reverse lunges, and I was still babying the elbow but I think I can do more on the push press next week too. The bb curl is where the elbow really hurts cause that weight is not as heavy for my biceps as it should be.

Friday workout!
deadlifts 135: 8,7,7,7,7,6
dips -30: 9, -20: 8,8,8 unassisted: 7
lat pulldowns 90: 7,7,7,7,7,5,3
hand walkouts 15,13,12

I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to do way better on the deadlifts than I did the first week. I’ll probably still start with 135 next week, but maybe I can add a little after the first set or so. If I’m not really careful with form, the dips hurt my elbow, but I’m gonna start with unassisted next week and try to get through them all no matter how many damn sets I have to do.

Tomorrow marks the halfway point! hurray!

2 weeks down, 2 to go. not at home this weekend so I have to skip the weigh and measure. would say that that takes away some of the motivation except I tore through the v-burn this morning and dropped 6:44 from my time. then I drank half my first shake and went for a 3 mile walk, did the same walk last night and it took just about an hour, today (after the v-burn!) it only took about 50 minutes, I did stop for a few minutes to watch a fawn standing about 5 feet away from me at one point, pretty cool. but the best part - I felt GREAT! still do, OMG I feel super, like I can freakin’ do anything! take that v-burn!

round 1: 3:04
round 2: 6:18
round 3: 9:28
round 4: 12:44
round 5: 16:00
round 6: 19:13

times are cumulative, completed 6 rounds in 19:13.

ok, so going to an all-u-can-eat buffet for the HSM is probably not such a good idea, I ate too much, but, oh man did it taste good! Lots of veggies - spinach, artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, zuchini, red peppers, mushrooms and sweet potato! Meat too - chicken, ribs and some steak that was still moving on my plate. And no dessert! Just a little bit of cantaloupe, sweet as could be.

Only ended up with 2 shakes and might skip one again today since I will be having the post-workout surge and I don’t think I will be very hungry :wink:

great fun eating but time to get serious again!

day 15 and we get to start counting down now! yeah! better than last week when after eating I just wanted to keep eating food, shakes weren’t so bad today. had a great workout - goes super fast when the rest time is only 20 seconds. only have to do front squats one more time, just do not like those at all. dropped the weight some this time to work on more depth, could feel the different activation in my legs as I came back up from a lower squat. wanted to up the weight just a bit on the lat pulldown but I couldn’t find the small magnetic weights, maybe next time.

front squats 95: 5,6,5,4
lat pulldown 110: 6,6,6,2
db bench 40s: 6,6,5,3
ab wheel 5,5,5,5

used a real ab wheel this time, I am going to be so sore, what an evil little piece of equipment!

ok, fell behind logging this stuff again! Did something crazy - ran 4 miles Tuesday evening! Really I just wanted to see how it would feel. I’m not a huge fan of running but I’ve been trying to increase my distance a bit while getting ready for tough mudder. I really thought I wouldn’t be able to run half a mile while on this diet, that my energy levels would be so low it would be too hard. Well, I was wrong. I was able to run all but about 2 tenths of a mile! I was really surprised at how good I felt.

That is, until I tried to workout on Wednesday! Ha! I definitely had a drop in energy levels and my didn’t feel nearly as strong as I usually do during these workouts. It was a killer. I was still able to raise some of the weights, but it was hard. Couldn’t manage the 35s for push press, had to go back down to 30s, maybe next time. Elbow is feeling better, still hurt doing the bb curls but not as bad as before.

reverse lunge 40s: 7,7,7,7,7,5
bent over rows 85: 7,7,7,6,6,5,2
push press 35s: 6 30s: 8,8,8,8,2
bb curls 40: 8,8,8,8,8
reverse crunch w/medicine ball 10,10,10,10

Felt a lot lighter today and some of my clothes are fitting better. My friend says I look noticeably smaller, and leaner! Yeah! Hope it shows in the measurements this week. Did the Friday workout today - no running - it felt great in the beginning, but those shorter rest periods catch up to you! Still my favorite workout.

deadlift 135: 8,8,7,5,6,6
dips (unassisted) 8,8,7,7,6,4
lat pulldown 90: 8,7,6,6,5,5,3
hand walkouts 13,12,10,5

Took all week for my abs to stop being sore from that evil little ab wheel! And we get to do it one more time next week, woohoo!

Feels good to have made it to day 19 without cheating or quitting! I never thought I would make it, partly because I didn’t really think this diet would work. But it does. The workouts feel good, and I’m not so terribly out of energy and well, I think I’m getting used to the taste of the Surge stuff. Don’t think I will ever like the taste of the super food though :wink:

Ahhhhh, Sunday, HSM day and another week down! Ran a 5K this morning, it was tough. Wasn’t sure I would keep running the whole time, if my greatest supporter hadn’t been running beside me, I might well have just walked some of it. Then, after a short rest, we were crazy enough to do the v-burn challenge. My legs were fried! It was so damn hard to keep going, and I lost some time from last week, but we made it through and it was a great feeling to have done it instead of wussing out. Then it was time to eat, and eat, and eat! Oh so good. Ribs, bbq beef brisket, collard greens, baked potato, a fresh peach, and a banana that tasted like sweet heaven.

v-burn
round 1: 3:09
round 2: 6:46
round 3: 10:30
round 4: 14:13
round 5: 18:01
round 6: 21:50

total time 21:50, over last week by 2:37, kaka. No running next week, so it has to get better.

We also weighed and measured first thing this morning.

weight: 137.2 (-0.2lb)
shoulders: 40 (+7/8")
chest: 33.5 (+1/4")
waist: 30 (-1")
hips: 37.5 (-1/2")

Wasn’t home last weekend so the numbers in () represent differences from 2 weeks ago. It’s disconcerting to see only a 0.2lb loss in weight, and the + don’t help much either. But, I haven’t cheated, not one bit, and we’ve done every workout, plus I’ve run twice now. There really isn’t much more I can do to lose fat. We only have one more week (of the really hard part) and though I don’t expect much change, at least I can say I did it.

Last Monday workout before transition! YEAH! I do not like front squats and will not miss them in the transition phase. And 15 second rest intervals kicks butt, my legs feel used and abused. I am surprised by how much I could do on the lat pulldown though, raised it to 115 and I think I could have done 120!

front squat 95: 6,6,5,3
lat pulldown 115: 6,6,6,2
db bench 40s: 6,5,5,4
ab wheel 5,5,5,3

I couldn’t finish the ab wheel, it hurt way too much, and not in a good way. Just means I need to keep trying them on a regular basis so it gets better, they are just evil.

Felt really good today, thought I might feel fat, or heavy, or bloated, from all the food I ate yesterday, but didn’t. 5 more shake days!

I do not like day 4 of any week so far, not sure if it has anything to do with what I eat on Sundays, or something else, but I have never felt as good - physically or mentally - on day 4 as I do the rest of the week. But it is done now!! Haha! only 2 shake days left, the our last HSM of the 28 days!! Never thought I would get this far. Felt like I wasn’t doing as well during Wednesdays workout, but looking back at last week, I did ok. Elbow felt great so I raised the weight on the bb curls, finally got to a weight that was really hard on the biceps, yea!

reverse lunge 40s: 7,7,8,7,7,4
bent over rows 85: 8,8,7,6,6,5
push press 35s: 6 32.5s: 8,7,7,7,5
bb curls 40: 8 50: 6,6,6,5,5,4
reverse crunch 20,20

the shorter rest periods just kill me, we do this as a circuit and by the time we are finished, I am wiped out. didn’t get a walk today but some shopping errands tomorrow will probably be enough walking for 2 days.

this is it, the home stretch, looking forward to eating every day and wondering if workouts will feel any different. can’t wait to find out!

hey, it’s Friday! my favorite workout day and the last one before transition! 30 second rest periods don’t really feel like a rest period.

deadlifts 135: 9,9,8,7,7
dips (unassisted) 8,7,7,7,6,5
lat pulldown 90: 7,7,6,6,5,5,4
hand walkouts 10,10,10,10

damn those lat pulldowns, they don’t seem to get any easier, but the I felt really strong doing the deadlifts and the dips. one more shake only day, woohoo! can’t wait to see what happens during transition, it’s weird but I’ve gotten very used to the lower calories and I’m almost afraid to eat! but I would like to have a bit more energy, especially when I’m working out. looking forward to Sunday for the next HSM!

[quote]audreyp wrote:
…it’s weird but I’ve gotten very used to the lower calories and I’m almost afraid to eat! [/quote]
Don’t worry. Over the 28 days you have trained you body to not eat the amounts of food you were probably eating before the V-Diet. I’m sure you’ve noticed during your weekly HSMs, but the amount of food you can ingest before you feel full will be a lot less than before. Your stomach has shrunk and can no longer hold the same amounts as before. I think the key to continued to success is to listen to your body. Continue to eat (quality) foods slowly and STOP when you get full. I know that sounds obvious, but it’s amazing how many people continue to eat and stuff themselves after they are full. Probably has a lot to do with you parents telling you to finish everything on your plate…or something like that.