Biotest

At a Plateau, Supplement Advise

Female who’s in early 50’s and been active in sports all my life. In last 3 years have begun weight training and now consistently train 3x per week. Have made good progress in reducing fat / building muscle, however - in last 6 months have really hit a plateau. Even more frustrating is that as I’ve become more toned overall, my midsection has become even more of a problem area in regards to reduction of remaining body fat.

I’m assuming this is a typical problem for women, and therefore wondering if there is any advise for supplementation that may help. I’m also wondering that as one ages, do we become more sensitive and less able to effectively metabolize carbs. Open to any thoughts you may have regarding a supplementation and diet plan.

Everyone eventually hits a point where they have to dial in their training or diet a bit more to continue to see results.

However there are a few key supplements that can help if you’re not already using them.

Everyone should be on a quality fish oil. It helps with keeping you healthy in many different ways. It can also help with insulin sensitivity. There’s a ton or articles here but I think the product page can offer most of the info you want.

Make sure you’re getting enough protein in your diet. If you’re having trouble getting enough whole foods in you can look into http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb which is a great easy way to add in extra protein.

You may also want to look into peri nutrition for your workouts. While you may not need http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/plazma you could use http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/MAG-10 a serving before, during and after training can greatly aid recovery, fat loss, and muscle building all at once.

Finally to directly raise your insulin sensitivity you can look at http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g which help smash any carb intolerance you might have.

I don’t think age has as much to do with carb sensitivity so much as certain issues that can accumulate over time. We just don’t “get away with” as much as we age, especially if our diets weren’t always perfect when we were younger.

First, let’s keep in mind that this could still be a problem that fixable with diet and training alone. For example, can you train in a more effective way, more frequently? Lots of free programs here at T-Nation to give you some ideas. Same with diet: the better shape you get in, the more fine-tuning may be needed to get in your ideal shape and take care of the last “hard to reach” trouble spots.

That aside, I think Corijeir’s recommendation of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G is a good one. This will allow you to repartition nutrients toward muscle instead of fat storage. So it helps you continue to tone up by adding some muscle while at the same time discouraging body fat gain. This is very good for those who don’t handle carbs as well as they used to.

Thank you both for your advise, much appreciated.

My protien intake should be good - as I regularly use a shake mixture to supplement my diet.

I also use a pre-workout supplement - ForzaPro NOXp3, It seemed to work great but I may be burned out on it. I guess I should take regular breaks from it.
Then for post workout I use Mass Fuzion by VitaSport, it’s a ultra high molecular weight carb blend that’s supposed to support muscle recovery and gain.

The MAG-10 looks interesting, as well as the Plasma - will read up on them as to how best to use.
As for the Indigo3G, this seems very different than other “fat burners” available on the market, so will definately read more and try this product.
Will check back to let you know how things are going.

[quote]carlakaye wrote:
Thank you both for your advise, much appreciated.

My protien intake should be good - as I regularly use a shake mixture to supplement my diet.

I also use a pre-workout supplement - ForzaPro NOXp3, It seemed to work great but I may be burned out on it. I guess I should take regular breaks from it.
Then for post workout I use Mass Fuzion by VitaSport, it’s a ultra high molecular weight carb blend that’s supposed to support muscle recovery and gain.

The MAG-10 looks interesting, as well as the Plasma - will read up on them as to how best to use.
As for the Indigo3G, this seems very different than other “fat burners” available on the market, so will definately read more and try this product.
Will check back to let you know how things are going.

[/quote]

Indigo isn’t a fat burner. Think of it as a nutrient repartitioner. Insulin is anabolic towards fat and muscle cells.

Generally post training your insulin sensitivity in your muscles is low and most of the insulin heads towards the muscle cells. However I3G ( Indigo ) super charges your system to prefer insulin to be anabolic to muscle cells versus fat cells. This can lead to starvation of fat cells and a leaner better you.

Mass Fuzion appears to just be a waxy maize type product. You’d more than likely see better results with Surge Recovery. http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/surge-recovery

Here’s a recent TC article that helps better explain proper peri nutrition: http://www.T-Nation.com/supplements/what-you-dont-know-about-workout-supplementation

Yes, the Mass Fuzion is a waxy maise product.
After reading more of the posts you have, seems that Biotest has supplementation that cannot be beat!

I’d like to get the most from my programs, so would be greatful for any further advise on supplementation.
Currently, M-W-F are weight training days, up early at 5AM in in the Gym by 6 for 1 & 1/2 hour.
I then do some form of cardio on “off days” - again, in the AM timeframe.

Since it’s early in the AM when I train, I only take a pre-workout mix (currently NOxP3), and then the waxy maise product for recovery after.

In order to maximize toning, lean muscle mass, and further fat burn (currently at 17% for woman), what would your recommendations be?

Surge workout or Plasma before & during workout?
MAG-10 after, and then where would the Indigo3G fit in.

Again, greatly appreciate the information!

Surge Workout Fuel and Plazma are used before and during, but only choose one. Our best, most advanced combo is Plazma then Mag-10 after. And depending on your workouts and length of training time, you may only need one pre-load serving of Plazma before training, then a serving of Mag-10 afterwards. If the workout is tough and long, then add a serving of Plazma during the workout as well. (The label may say 3 servings, but 1 or 2 should fit your needs just right.)

Indigo-3G is used twice per day for 8 weeks, then once per day. You simply take it before training or before a meal, keeping the doses about 6 hours apart because each serving is working in you for 6 hours at least. For you, you could go 1 serving before training, then 1 serving before your last meal of the day.

Also, we generally suggest some hard and fast conditioning as opposed to lots of extended duration cardio, which can affect muscle gains (toning) and slow the metabolism if you do too much. A single serving of Mag-10 before and during cardio/conditioning will prevent muscle loss and speed fat loss.

Hope this helps!

Chris, thanks so much!
Will give the Plasma, MAG-10 and Indigo3G program a try and will report progress.
Your site is awesome - can’t wait to read more!
Excited !!

We’re here for you, carlakaye! Any questions, just fire away.