Biotest

Assistance on the V-Diet Lite

Okay, well I was looking into the V-Diet, but as luck would have it; it said I was to big/heavy.

So I thought I’d try the V-Diet Lite for now and use the workout to get me moving.

I have a powerlifting/power training back ground. I’ve always been big and heavy for the most part. I’ve been training since I was 15 and am 36 now. I can’t say I’ve ever ventured down this path before, but being 340 and 5"11 isn’t cutting it anymore. I’ve been using a Westside Template for 7 weeks now and prior was Bill Starr’s 5x5 to toss a wrench in from the power stuff that I had done for years.

For the past 7 weeks I’ve been using the Anabolic Diet, as of the last few weeks my appetite has been poor and I’ve been eating smaller meals as well as just drinking my meals. I’ve cut the fat content when cooking and take a flax, fish, borage and EVOO for fat. Still use butter and some animal fat sparingly.

I have no clue how much weight I’ve lost, I haven’t been on the scale in weeks. I can tell the inches are coming off and my veins are coming out in my arms (although) nothing major. I haven’t really lost any strength at this point so things are going well in that area.

So with a quick run down of me and what’s going on. I want to do the lite version to get started until I can get within a closer weight to start.

For now I really need some help understanding the workout, this is a new venture and will have to adjust my learning curve.

As for the workout, I want to do it in a circuit fashion since I think it will really confuse my system and help with fat loss.

So I understand the exercises, but here’s what I need help with:

What type of warm up?
How many warm up sets?
When you warm up do you warm up in a circuit fashion?
How much rest at the end of the circuit and before the next?

I understand the 20 total reps, but the max rep scheme and total sets I think I understand, but here is what I did today let me know if I’m on the right track.

Front Squat: warm up: 135x10, 185x8, 205x5x4 (5 reps x 4 sets = 20 total reps)
Chin ups: warm up: band around feet x5x2, BWx5x4 (5 reps x 4 sets = 20 total)
DB Bench: warm up: 50x12, 80x10, 105x5x4 (5 reps x 4 sets = 20 total)
Ab Wheel: no warm up just BWx5x4 (5 reps x 4 sets = 20 total)

The squats weren’t killer, but I haven’t done front squats in ages and didn’t want to push it, plus the bar chokes me out. I’d prefer back squats with heals raised or Manta Ray squats since I can do more weight to benefit (i just squatted 585x3 ass to ankles a few weeks back), the DB bench was pretty easy also could do 125 to 135 for the sets, but just feeling it out. Chin’s were okay, Ab Wheel and fat guy don’t mix!

I took 2-3 minutes rest between full circuits, just enough to slow my breathing. I’m definitely not into doing workouts like this.

I finished in under 40 minutes, probably closure to 35 and then did 12 minutes on the eliptical at the end.

So am in heading in the right direction or do I need to adjust anything.

I plan on doing circuit based or interval cardio training. I like to flip the tire, sledgehammer swings, jump rope, ride bike, swim, varying resistance/height on treadmill, box jumps, lite jog/trot, hike. So this will be done on non-weight days.

Thanks for any feedback I really appreciate the help and hopefully in a several months I can give the V-Diet a try.

Thanks

The cardio, (NEPA) is supposed to be just moderate intensity activity so that it doesn’t tax your CNS and allows your body to recover…I’m not so sure tire flipping would really fit into that category…unless they’re bicycle tires…just kidding. Anyway just be careful, drinking 5 shakes a day isn’t the same as eating 5 meals…especially when they’re all low carb except for the Surge.

In the past, Chris has suggested that people over the weight limits diet down regularly, meaning with good, old healthy food. I think if you stick with the Anabolic Diet but do it as clean as possible and with less total calories, you should make some significant progress.

Unless you’re a beast (won’t know unless you post a picture of yourself), you’ve got a ton of fat on you if you’re 300+ lbs at 5’11". But like I said, that may be an incorrect assertion, given your years of training (and only serious lifters tend to flip tires).

As fitatude mentioned, your energy levels will plummet by following V-Diet due to the restricted caloric intake. Too often do people on the diet feel like they can speed up the progress by adding in more cardio/interval work, or they think they’re special and can add that sort of stuff in. What ends up happening is their bodies tire out and they quit the diet, either due to extreme fatigue or from being too hungry.

Regarding your workouts, there isn’t a set protocol on warm up sets, but I would still do them. What you did above seems fine. Just don’t tire yourself out.

Finally, the workouts aren’t meant to be circuits (except for the V-burn challenge). Unlike other programs where you may change weights or reps during the workout, the goal here is to use the same weight the entire time. Naturally, you may be doing less reps each set due to fatigue. The most important part is that you stick to the allotted rest periods. Assuming you’re doing the intermediate workout, that means you get 30 seconds of rest per set on workout 1. It’s very, very little rest (and it kills you), but that’s the whole point of the program (rest period manipulation rather than weight/rep manipulation). Take as many sets as you need to get your xx reps in.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m not going to start the V-Diet since I’m to heavy right now. I’m cleaning up the diet and adding in a few shakes to help out with caloric intake and actual food intake.

As for the workouts, I did it really lite and in a circuit fashoin since I read it could be done in a circuit, just didn’t know how to warm up. I figured I’d do it in a circuit fashion since I will be attempting to do it through out. Yesterday I picked a weight to judge where I can go next. The front squats were way to light, should have been in the 315 neighborhood and the DB bench should be at least 130’s to do 5 reps of 4 sets or more weight and more sets if that is the way it’s designed.

As for the front squats, I’ll be ditching those, my shoulders are sore today, more of a bruising effect at this point.

Thanks for the feedback anymore is greatly appreciated.

Well I did my second workout last night.

I did the following circuit:

Step up: 135x10 (each leg), 185x5x4 (each leg, total 10 reps, haven’t done them in probably 15 years)
Bent Row: 135x10, 275x10x4 (kicked my butt after doing step ups)
Push Press: 50x10, 70x10x4 (could have gone heavier, but was fighting back puking after the 2nd round)
BB Curl: 50x10, 100x10x4 (kick my butt, was winded)
Reverse Crunch: BWx10x4 (still sore from the ab wheel)

I went the complete circuit, then rest after for a few minutes. Enough to get my breathing under control and my heart rate low. It’s tough to pick a weight and stick with it, once I learn where all my weights are it will be easier. I haven’t done some of these exercises in years.

Hope I’m doing this right, it’s definitely a 360 degree turn around from what I’ve been doing in the past. I feel this week is a testing period and I’ll keep adding weight from week to week.