Biotest

Ask Chris

Here on the V-Diet forum, I see a lot of new T-Muscle members asking me questions in other people’s threads. These are easy for me to miss, plus they sorta hijack the other person’s Velocity Diet thread.

So, here’s a thread for those questions. Fire away.

But remember: One, I may not be able to answer all questions. (You: “Chris, will you write me a complete training and diet program, then come train me and cook for me and give me free supplements…” Me: “Um, no.”) And two, be sure to use our search function and the “Start Here” thread:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity/velocity_diet_hq

Poke around a bit before firing off a question. You may be able to find your answer in 30 seconds instead of waiting on me.

Thanks! Looking forward to your questions!

Here’s an easy one! When is the book coming out? Not that I’m sure it matters much since you’ve given away graciously so much of it free on T-Nation! thanks so much
aap

[quote]apuraja wrote:
Here’s an easy one! When is the book coming out? Not that I’m sure it matters much since you’ve given away graciously so much of it free on T-Nation! thanks so much
aap[/quote]

We’re deciding on the best avenue of publication, plus a new editor was brought on recently and we basically scrapped Version 1.0.

So, can’t say when it will be out yet. For now, the basic raw instructions can be found in the “Start Here” thread on this forum.

Is there a cutoff time to have you last shake ?

[quote]frpm00 wrote:
Is there a cutoff time to have you last shake ? [/quote]

I believe that when the main goal is fat loss it’s always better not to eat a lot (especially a lot of carbs) late at night or just before bed. In fact, when I want to drop some body fat that has snuck up on me, all I usually do is make my last meal of the day a low-carb Metabolic Drive shake, and I have it about two hours or so before bed. BAM, quick fat loss.

Now, some people have taken the good idea of not eating a lot at night to extremes by not eating after 5pm or whatever, then staying up to 10, 11, or 12. Not good. Too much risk of muscle loss, or falling off the wagon and hitting Taco Hell at 1AM because you’re starving.

Now, the V-Diet is so strict that drinking your shake right before bed probably won’t do much harm because it’ll be low carb and healthy and limited in calories, at least compared to the average dinner and nighttime binge. So, no big worry there. If I had to put a time on it, I’d say to have your last V-Diet shake about an hour or two before bed.

Although I and most people already know the answer, it is probably the most asked one and where people go wrong on the diet…

Can I have vegetables on the V-Diet?

and the next question is…

Wait, I can’t have vegetables on the V-Diet?! Even a little?

[quote]Bona wrote:
Although I and most people already know the answer, it is probably the most asked one and where people go wrong on the diet…

Can I have vegetables on the V-Diet?

and the next question is…

Wait, I can’t have vegetables on the V-Diet?! Even a little?[/quote]

Short version: 1. The V-Diet isn’t just about rapid fat loss; it’s about changing our food-related behaviors and bad habits, and changing our cravings and taste preferences for certain foods. Add solid foods aside from the HSM (the weekly healthy solid meal) and you risk not experiencing those amazing changes. Yep, even healthy foods.

1. More practically speaking, “adding a little no-calorie celery” soon becomes “celery with fat free pimento cheese” to “celery with natural peanut butter” to “big salad” to “cobb salad with bacon” to “triple Whopper.”

2. The most successful V-Dieters are the ones who stick to the guidelines perfectly. The more you stray, the more you risk failure or less-than-optimal results. Adding vegetables on shake days = straying. And that usually means lackluster results or failing.

This is why I dropped the solid meal per day option from the upcoming book. Those who chose the “easier” option failed the diet more than those who chose the “hard” strict option. (A solid healthy meal per day is now part of the Transition.) So the official diet is now the “hard” version i.e. the most successful, effective version.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
frpm00 wrote:
Is there a cutoff time to have you last shake ?

I believe that when the main goal is fat loss it’s always better not to eat a lot (especially a lot of carbs) late at night or just before bed. In fact, when I want to drop some body fat that has snuck up on me, all I usually do is make my last meal of the day a low-carb Metabolic Drive shake, and I have it about two hours or so before bed. BAM, quick fat loss.

Now, some people have taken the good idea of not eating a lot at night to extremes by not eating after 5pm or whatever, then staying up to 10, 11, or 12. Not good. Too much risk of muscle loss, or falling off the wagon and hitting Taco Hell at 1AM because you’re starving.

Now, the V-Diet is so strict that drinking your shake right before bed probably won’t do much harm because it’ll be low carb and healthy and limited in calories, at least compared to the average dinner and nighttime binge. So, no big worry there. If I had to put a time on it, I’d say to have your last V-Diet shake about an hour or two before bed.
[/quote]

Thank you very much just had my last shake about a half hour ago after my NEPA walk will be going to bed in a hour or so wnated to make sure i wasnt doing somethign wrong. I really want to get maxium results on this diet.

Chris what do you think about the walden farms products. I got the Strawberry one today and will like to try it in one of the shakes. Here is what the nutrition and ingredients look like.

I’m still trying to find the sugar free syrups you talk about.

These are calorie free as well BTW.

Strawberry Ingredients: Triple Filtered Purified Water, strawberry flavor, dehydrated strawberries, natural flavors, sucralose, citric acid, cellulose gel, red cabbage color, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate.

Paperback vs E-book?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
apuraja wrote:
aap

We’re deciding on the best avenue of publication, plus a new editor was brought on recently and we basically scrapped Version 1.0.

So, can’t say when it will be out yet. For now, the basic raw instructions can be found in the “Start Here” thread on this forum. [/quote]

Chris,

Where did you get your writing skills? English major in college?

I was introduced to your work last week. Just read the articles “Set yourself on Fire”, and Atomic(Where your talking to Bob on Christmas) among others. Real powerful stuff, I felt like I was watching the T-Nation version of “Fight Club”. After the first article I found myself thinking “Damn, This guy can write” rather then thinking of the subject you were talking about lol.

When your not helping people out here, who are the guys/girls you read ?

You Chris, will write me a training/diet program, and come to my house and do all these pesky deadlifts for me. Don’t worry about the bicep curling, I got that covered.

Kidding aside, I was one of those who might have been pushing it with the questions when I did the V-Diet the first time.(Lost 16 lbs) Kudos on being so patient.

It’s been 5 weeks now, and I’m about to start a second run. I have a few questions in that regard.

1. I used a generic fatburner last time around. It contains green tea, caffeine, chrome, peppers etc. Same as most fatburners, I assume. Do you think there is any point in taking them, or would I be just as well off drinking green tea and coffee? (I drink a lot of coffee already btw)

2. I would like to support Biotest, as you all have a fantastic website here, from which I continually learn new and interesting things. If I could get your supplements past customs, I would buy all my protein/supps from you. Does anyone here live in Europe and know a way og getting Biotest supplements?

Does anyone here live in Europe and know a way og getting Biotest supplements?

I’m from the UK. When I am at home i use one of the following:

Monstersupplements.com
Affordablesupplements.co.uk
workoutworld.uk.com

I’m not sure about the costs, but all of those websites ship to europe. I’ve no knowledge about mainland europe and Biotest availability.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
Chris what do you think about the walden farms products. I got the Strawberry one today and will like to try it in one of the shakes. Here is what the nutrition and ingredients look like.

I’m still trying to find the sugar free syrups you talk about.

These are calorie free as well BTW.

Strawberry Ingredients: Triple Filtered Purified Water, strawberry flavor, dehydrated strawberries, natural flavors, sucralose, citric acid, cellulose gel, red cabbage color, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate.

[/quote]

I have that exact container in my fridge right now, but I’ve never added it to shakes.

One thing to remember is that most “calorie free” products do contain some calories. Manufacturers are allowed to call something “calorie free” if it has only trace calories per serving. Have several big helpings per day of “zero calorie per serving” products and those calories can add up and affect progress.

So, a little of this is probably fine to add some variety to a V-Diet shake, but keep it limited.

[quote]fabsadami wrote:
Does anyone here live in Europe and know a way og getting Biotest supplements?

I’m from the UK. When I am at home i use one of the following:

Monstersupplements.com
Affordablesupplements.co.uk
workoutworld.uk.com

I’m not sure about the costs, but all of those websites ship to europe. I’ve no knowledge about mainland europe and Biotest availability. [/quote]

You’re a Level 5 already?

I believe member “London Runner” does sell them the cheapest on our side of the pond…

RSGZ, I’d no idea i was a level 5…to be honest, i don’t keep an eye on my status! :slight_smile:

I live in the states now and have done for about 3 years, so it may well be that i’m not fully up to scratch when it comes to where best to buy Biotest in the UK.

All i can say is thank god that the exchange rate for sterling was (until the crash) good…it meant that transferring my sterling savings into dollars gave me a bumper! :slight_smile:

[quote]VD26 wrote:
Chris,

Where did you get your writing skills? English major in college?

I was introduced to your work last week. Just read the articles “Set yourself on Fire”, and Atomic(Where your talking to Bob on Christmas) among others. Real powerful stuff, I felt like I was watching the T-Nation version of “Fight Club”. After the first article I found myself thinking “Damn, This guy can write” rather then thinking of the subject you were talking about lol.

When your not helping people out here, who are the guys/girls you read ?[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate that. Yes, I was an English major in college (also got a psychology degree along the way.)

Some of my favorite writers: Chuck Palahniuk, Anthony Bourdane, Cormac McCarthy, William Gibson, Neil Stephenson, Neil Strauss, Dave Eggers, Ayn Rand, Michael Chrichton, David Sedaris, Larry McMurtry, Hunter S. Thompson, and Stephen King.

Check out Vince Flynn when you get a chance.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:

1. I used a generic fatburner last time around. It contains green tea, caffeine, chrome, peppers etc. Same as most fatburners, I assume. Do you think there is any point in taking them, or would I be just as well off drinking green tea and coffee? (I drink a lot of coffee already btw)[/quote]

All fat burners are not the same. And while caffeine and green tea etc. have some benefits for fat loss, they pale in comparison to the drug-like effects of HOT-ROX Extreme. And remember, we’re not just looking for faster fat loss, but also muscle and metabolism preservation. So, HOT-ROX Extreme is always the optimal choice. There’s a whole lot more in there than caffeine. See our store page for more info:

As for caffeine and green tea supplements vs. drinking coffee and tea, the supplements are usually better because it takes a lot of green tea for example to get enough of the “good stuff” in there to have physique benefits. So it’s easier to take a pill than drink 15 cups of tea per day. Caffeine you can get enough of by drinking it though.

Contact Biotest customer service and they can help you out:

Phone: 800-525-1940
E-mail: service@t-nation.com

There are also several threads on this topic here in the V-Diet forum.

I wasn’t doubting HOT-ROX, it’s just that you have to wait for months on end to even get a package of Metabolic Drive bars past norwegian customs. I’d love to try HOT-ROX, so I’ll contact support as you suggested, thanks.