Biotest

Ask Chris, V-Diet 3.0 (Part IV)

I’m going to start an additional “Ask Chris” thread in this new section of the V-Diet forums so I don’t miss any questions.

Bur remember, you may want to peruse the FAQ, Cool Tips, and other Ask Chris threads first before posting. Those can be found <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/programs/vdiet30/vDietProgram000.jsp"target=“new”>HERE.

Looking forward to helping you with your physical and psychological transformations! Let’s see who can top Gus Pancho (shown above) as the mosy successful V-Dieter!

Just hit reply below and hit me with any Q’s you have.

Hi Chris,
Just a quick Question, Will i loose any strength if i do this V-Diet, this will be my second time?

I am probably lifting the heaviest i have done in my life,

Also on the weekends i do a bit of Rickshawing in london, is that not recomende?

[quote]ttboy1988 wrote:
Hi Chris,
Just a quick Question, Will i loose any strength if i do this V-Diet, this will be my second time?

Also on the weekends i do a bit of Rickshawing in london, is that not recomende?[/quote]

how were your strength levels the 1st time you did it? I can’t imagine how anyone wouldn’t suffer a decrease in strength on the diet.

[quote]ttboy1988 wrote:
Hi Chris,

Also on the weekends i do a bit of Rickshawing in london, is that not recomende?[/quote]

Strength: It’s never really a good time to go for PR’s while on any fat loss plan, but most people do not lose strength on the V-Diet.

In fact, many report gains, and some have even set PRs while on it, though that’s not really something I’d expect. And remember, if you do “lose strength” you’ll get it back once you return to a maintenance level of calories.

And one more thing to remember, you may not be losing strength at all; you just may lose some energy in the gym due to the extreme diet: again, temporary. But if you’re following the diet plan closely, then you won’t be testing PRs anyway on the diet; you’ll be doing the training program that’s included.

One more thing to think about: Sometimes strength is measured in tricky ways. For example, you can “increase” your strength by shortening your range of motion on the bench press. Well, being fat shortens the ROM because the bar doesn’t have to move as far. So you’ll bench more with a nice layer of fat around your chest and back. Are you “stronger?” Well, kinda, but not really.

And what do you want anyway, a lean, muscular torso or a fat torso so you can bench 10 more pounds? Are you getting paid a lot to stay fat and lift more? Getting laid for your PR? Then what’s the point? Lose fat, increase the ROM, lose a little on your bench press, live longer, look better, have more sex with higher quality women.

Most V-Dieters also report a great increase in the ability to do push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and sprints. This is due mostly to the loss of excess body fat - the ultimate performance enhancer. So again, the question becomes, what’s more important to you: the number of plates you bench or being better and “stronger” at all that other stuff like chins and dips?

Finally, all that above is assuming that lifting numbers temporarily go down. Given the increase in protein (for most people) and other nutritional improvements, the fresh new training style etc. many people gain real strength on the V-Diet. There are a few threads about this on the main V-Diet forum.

Rickshawing: Probably too much cardio.

Thanks for the reply Chris, thanks for that, For me Lifting has always been about looking good first, then strength.

Hopefully i will reach better results this time compared to last time. Dont get me wrong but i did loose a stone but i need to loose more.

I guess this bulking this has put my weight back up again, This time when i loose it, it wont come back

So i will take on this challenge again
Thanks for those inspirational words

Chris,

I wanted to get your thoughts on taking a drop or two of Red Hot Cayenne Pepper sauce to kick my appetite while I am doing the V-Diet? On low-carb diets, I always took a drop of that when I really needed to.

The spice kicks the cravings in a heart beat. It has 0 calories, but has 200 mg of sodium/tsp. Obviously I wouldn’t be filling shot glasses and slam them until I vomit.

The only thing that I would see posing a problem would be in regards to changing my eating habits. Then again it doesn’t seem to be different than drinking diet pop in moderation, or eating a sugar free jell-o to kick a crave. Thanks in advance for any response.

It certainly won’t ruin the fat loss effects of the V-Diet.

But I challenge every V-Dieter to go strict and experience the struggle and the win of beating food-related habits. You have cravings, face them, beat the shit out of them, DONE! Little tricks like the hot sauce thing etc. is basically just running from the habit. You’ll get away, sure, but it’ll always be there to chase you again.

Or you can face it head-on and beat it. Forever.

You are well fed on the V-Diet – 5 shakes a day. You are well-nourished. Keep telling yourself that fact. So it all comes down psychology and willpower and habitual behaviors.

Had a quick question - I noticed that the protein powder recommended is sweetened with sucralose. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I usually experience nausea and headaches when I consume sucralose. I avoid it like the plague.

Do you recommend any other protein powders that I could substitute? I have a protein powder that I use currently that is low cal and is sweetened with stevia.

Look forward to starting the program.

Thanks

[quote]duckncover wrote:
Had a quick question - I noticed that the protein powder recommended is sweetened with sucralose. (Correct me if I am wrong.) I usually experience nausea and headaches when I consume sucralose. I avoid it like the plague.

Do you recommend any other protein powders that I could substitute? I have a protein powder that I use currently that is low cal and is sweetened with stevia.

Look forward to starting the program.

Thanks [/quote]

The V-Diet is not for you.

The V-Diet isn’t for him because he can’t consume excessive amounts of sucralose? Are you really going to tell me that sucralose plays a profound role in this diet?

(I want to note that I understand the implication–Metabolic Drive contains sucralose, and Metabolic Drive is so superior to other products that it’s irreplaceable… I just don’t buy it. Biotest products are fantastic, but they aren’t the only great products out there.)

[quote].josh. wrote:
The V-Diet isn’t for him because he can’t consume excessive amounts of sucralose? Are you really going to tell me that sucralose plays a profound role in this diet?

(I want to note that I understand the implication–Metabolic Drive contains sucralose, and Metabolic Drive is so superior to other products that it’s irreplaceable… I just don’t buy it. Biotest products are fantastic, but they aren’t the only great products out there.)[/quote]

Do the V-Diet or don’t do the V-Diet. If he can’t handle an ingredient, then the diet is not for him. Much better for him to know now than use an inferior product and fail the diet because he half-assed it. The V-Diet is designed to work with one protein product. Period.

Thoughts on doing Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey’s Magnificent Mobility DVD as NEPA vs walking?

[quote]Tirith wrote:
Thoughts on doing Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey’s Magnificent Mobility DVD as NEPA vs walking?[/quote]

Should be fine, but you can’t really overdo NEPA, so I’d suggest both when you have time.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
.josh. wrote:

(I want to note that I understand the implication–Metabolic Drive contains sucralose, and Metabolic Drive is so superior to other products that it’s irreplaceable… I just don’t buy it. Biotest products are fantastic, but they aren’t the only great products out there.)

Do the V-Diet or don’t do the V-Diet. If he can’t handle an ingredient, then the diet is not for him. Much better for him to know now than use an inferior product and fail the diet because he half-assed it. The V-Diet is designed to work with one protein product. Period. [/quote]

people have done PSMF’s on every type of protein.

But people who do the V-Diet fail gloriously when they use other protein sources.

Chris,

I know you’ve discussed HSM size before, i.e. don’t worry about it, but knowing that it replaces one shake which has about 200 calories, 4g of protein, 8g of carbs, and 3g of fat I am asking for clarification.

My meal of choice is sashimi, and I can put that stuff away big time. I tend to stick to the various tunas and salmon, but I will try most anything. I don’t do the rolls or nigiri because of the rice. I will eat edame but not all the time due to the soy issues.

Anyway, if you look at these numbers do you have any thoughts on a reasonable portion? I ask, because as I said I can eat raw fish until I explode.

A piece of sashimi is typically between 1.5 and 2.0 oz. in size, so for simplicity I posted for a 1 oz portion.

Hamachi -yellow tale
Calories 41
Fat 1.5
Total Carb 0
Fiber 0
Protein 6.5

Maguru - Blue Fin Tuna
Calories 40
Fat 1.4
Total Carb 0
Fiber 0
Protein 6.6

Sake - salmon (farm raised)
Calories 52
Fat 1.2
Total Carb 0
Fiber 0
Protein 5.6

Your thoughts?

[quote]Hemi Cuda wrote:
Chris,

I know you’ve discussed HSM size before, i.e. don’t worry about it, but knowing that it replaces one shake which has about 200 calories, 4g of protein, 8g of carbs, and 3g of fat I am asking for clarification.

My meal of choice is sashimi, and I can put that stuff away big time. I tend to stick to the various tunas and salmon, but I will try most anything. I don’t do the rolls or nigiri because of the rice. I will eat edame but not all the time due to the soy issues.

Anyway, if you look at these numbers do you have any thoughts on a reasonable portion? I ask, because as I said I can eat raw fish until I explode.

A piece of sashimi is typically between 1.5 and 2.0 oz. in size, so for simplicity I posted for a 1 oz portion.

Hamachi -yellow tale
Calories 41
Fat 1.5
Total Carb 0
Fiber 0
Protein 6.5

Maguru - Blue Fin Tuna
Calories 40
Fat 1.4
Total Carb 0
Fiber 0
Protein 6.6

Sake - salmon (farm raised)
Calories 52
Fat 1.2
Total Carb 0
Fiber 0
Protein 5.6

Your thoughts?[/quote]

My concern is that you have no vegetables here. And this meal should not be “low carb.” It’s not a cheat meal, but it’s not carb-free either. Really, you need more than a bunch of fish for an HSM. The is important for get the taste/craving changes to take place.

Not every sushi place has it, but ohitashi (spinach) is pretty good. It is often made simply from fresh spinach, soy sauce, dashi soup stock, and katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes). Assuming I had a cup of spinach, how far can I go eating that delicious raw fish?

My concern is that you have no vegetables here. And this meal should not be “low carb.” It’s not a cheat meal, but it’s not carb-free either. Really, you need more than a bunch of fish for an HSM. The is important for get the taste/craving changes to take place.

[/quote]

[quote]Hemi Cuda wrote:
Not every sushi place has it, but ohitashi (spinach) is pretty good. It is often made simply from fresh spinach, soy sauce, dashi soup stock, and katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes). Assuming I had a cup of spinach, how far can I go eating that delicious raw fish?

Chris Shugart wrote:

[/quote]

You probably couldn’t overdo it honestly. Just don’t skip the greens.

But people who do the V-Diet fail gloriously when they use other protein sources. [/quote]

no question here Chris, was just browsing here post transition, and was just gonna say thanks for everything, when i stumbled onto this. fail gloriously. you are the man i am stealing that phrase.