Biotest

Ask Chris, V-Diet 3.0 (Part III)

I’m going to go ahead and start a separate “Ask Chris” thread in this new section of the V-Diet forums so I don’t miss any questions.

Fire away.

Bur remember, you may want to peruse the FAQ, Cool Tips, and other Ask Chris threads first before posting. Those can be found <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/programs/vdiet30/vDietProgram000.jsp"target=“new”>HERE.

Either way, I’m here and looking forward to helping you with your physical and psychological transformations.

I’d wish you luck, but remember, luck has nothing to do with it!

How fast should the reps be in the workout plan?

The video’s showing the workouts seem like “normal” speed. (At least, what I would consider normal.

How fast should the reps be to be fast enough to raise the weight?

[quote]CodeMonkey wrote:
How fast should the reps be in the workout plan?

The video’s showing the workouts seem like “normal” speed. (At least, what I would consider normal.

How fast should the reps be to be fast enough to raise the weight?[/quote]

Section 6: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/the_secrets_to_velocity_training?vdietNavTop

Yes, I read that

My question was: How fast is “as fast as possible with good form” One rep a second? As fast as the demonstration video? Faster than the video?

I only ask because that page you linked quoted “fast”, but the example videos seem to be what I would call “normal” speed.

So, my question still is: Are the videos considered “fast” speed, or are they considered normal, and we’re expected to go faster?

[quote]CodeMonkey wrote:
Yes, I read that

You want to lift and lower the weights as fast as possible with good form. If these exercises are new to you, mastering the form is more important than lifting fast. But as you get comfortable with the exercises, it’s more important to lift faster than it is to use heavier weights. Once you reach what seems like your maximum speed for the designated number of repetitions, use a heavier weight.

As we said earlier, you need to stop a set once your speed slows down noticeably. But don’t stop because you think you’re about to slow down. Keep going until the weight actually moves slower or your form changes in an obvious way. Finish that last rep, put the weight down, rest, and then pick up again with the next set.

My question was: How fast is “as fast as possible with good form” One rep a second? As fast as the demonstration video? Faster than the video?

I only ask because that page you linked quoted “fast”, but the example videos seem to be what I would call “normal” speed.

So, my question still is: Are the videos considered “fast” speed, or are they considered normal, and we’re expected to go faster?
[/quote]

The video is too slow. But the model is just demo’ing the exercises for those unfamiliar with them, not actually doing the workout.

And keep in mind that “fast” may not look fast with a heavy load. But TRY to make it fast; it’s the effort that counts. If you’re trying to lift as fast as you can without losing your form then you’re on the right track.

Chris, it’s pretty much a given that you’ll add 2-4 lbs the day after a hsm right?

[quote]tehil wrote:
Chris, it’s pretty much a given that you’ll add 2-4 lbs the day after a hsm right? [/quote]

Not really. The question is, why the heck would anyone weigh after an HSM since that’s not in the rules and is sure to drive you into a paranoid frenzy?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
tehil wrote:
Chris, it’s pretty much a given that you’ll add 2-4 lbs the day after a hsm right?

Not really. The question is, why the heck would anyone weigh after an HSM since that’s not in the rules and is sure to drive you into a paranoid frenzy? [/quote]

hmmm… i’ve noticed the day after hsm i weigh at least a couple of pounds more. i’m not sweating it because the satisfaction of getting a solid meal is greater than scale weight.

as for weighing, i weigh myself every day in the morning every day. it’s a force of habit i’ve had for years. i’ve been recording my weight in an excel spreadsheet for a few years now and look for patterns/trends etc.

So, how is pooing on something like this? Curious, is it a lot less frequent?

gross maybe, but I’ve been wondering about this

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

gross maybe, but I’ve been wondering about this[/quote]

Chris addressed this in the other thread (i don’t have a direct link, sorry.) he basically said you’re taking in less stuff, so expect less waste to come out.

[quote]tehil wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Chris addressed this in the other thread (i don’t have a direct link, sorry.) he basically said you’re taking in less stuff, so expect less waste to come out. [/quote]

Correct. Go from 4000 calories or more to 1500 or whatever, and yep… less in, less out.

BUT, the V-Diet allows most people to get more fiber than they get with their normal diets, so some are more regular in this department once they adjust.

And keep in mind that “fast” may not look fast with a heavy load. But TRY to make it fast; it’s the effort that counts. If you’re trying to lift as fast as you can without losing your form then you’re on the right track.

[/quote]

Thanks – That’s exactly what I was looking for!

-Dave

tehil wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Chris addressed this in the other thread (i don’t have a direct link, sorry.) he basically said you’re taking in less stuff, so expect less waste to come out.

Correct. Go from 4000 calories or more to 1500 or whatever, and yep… less in, less out.

BUT, the V-Diet allows most people to get more fiber than they get with their normal diets, so some are more regular in this department once they adjust.

[/quote]

Thanks I usually go 1-3 x day and might be nice to actually free up some time during my days, HA

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:
tehil wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

Thanks I usually go 1-3 x day and might be nice to actually free up some time during my days, HA
[/quote]

I remember I first learned this “poop lesson” – for lack of a better term – back when I did Berardi’s Massive Eating plan. Now, I knew that eating a lot more calories would lead to more bowel movements, but there’s “knowing” and then there’s “KNOWING.”

I was kinda shocked, and I even dubbed the diet Massive Pooping. Berardi was amused.

With the V-Diet, or any fat loss diet really, people experience the opposite. And it’s surprising to them sometimes. But it’s not constipation or anything like that; it’s simply a “food in / food out” thing. Less bulk of food, less poo.

I like to think of it like this: Your body is very nourished – protein, post-training nutrients, aminos, the right carbs at the right times, all those powdered fruits and veggies in Superfood, healthy fats from flax and Flameout, fiber etc – but there’s nothing in excess. You’re giving your body just what it needs to drop fat quickly and no more. So, there’s less waste, no garbage to expel.

I would normally just lump myself in the beginner workouts, because the requirements seem very clear. But, in reading over some of the threads, it looks like it may not be as cut and dry. So, I thought I’d bother you with yet another question :slight_smile:

Oh – before I ask, I want to let you know that I just took the plunge. . . my order should be here Friday, and I start on Monday! So excited!

Anyway, which plan should I do? I’ve been working out 4-5 days a week for the last 2 months. I do three days of upper body & Back, and two days of lower body & core. I’m fat, but not completely weak. Some metrics:

I do 3 sets of 8 of back squats @ 205 (I weight 245)
I do 3 sets of 8 of dumbbell press @ 60# (per arm)
And, I can manage almost 3 full sets of 8 of bar dips w/o assist.
Last I tried, I managed 42 push ups (one set). Though, I didn’t do a second set :slight_smile:

Of course, I can’t do a single pull-up yet (at least, I don’t think I can. I work out 3 sets of 8 with 80lbs of assist)

But, I don’t want to be presumptuous – I’ll happily do the beginner if you think that’s right for me. And, I’m sure it will kick my ass either way, if I do it right.

Just curious what your opinion was :slight_smile:

-Dave

P.S. Here are my normal workouts: dailyburn.com/workout_programs/114736-Daves-Lower-Body-and-Core and dailyburn.com/workout_programs/114735-Daves-Upper-Body-and-Back

CodeMonkey, go with beginner, and do it with FIRE! Balls to the walls.

You can always switch to intermediate halfway through if you want.

So I haven’t received my supps yet, but I have a question. I do my workouts in the morning, I figure that’s the best time to do them and I feel energetic afterward. I usually drink coffee to give me that buzz in the morning. I plan on following this diet to the T, so would I be taking HOT-ROX first thing in the morning? I’m using this to hopefully transition into a full on PN lifestyle.

[quote]Gaijin-san wrote:
So I haven’t received my supps yet, but I have a question. I do my workouts in the morning, I figure that’s the best time to do them and I feel energetic afterward. I usually drink coffee to give me that buzz in the morning. I plan on following this diet to the T, so would I be taking Hot Rox first thing in the morning? I’m using this to hopefully transition into a full on PN lifestyle. [/quote]

Morning weight training in a fasted state is not ideal. In fact, it’s very likely catabolic. You’re trying to run a race car on fumes… no fuel. Plus it takes a while for the nervous system to wake up in the morning, so early morning training usually means suboptimal loads are being used.

Any way you can have a meal (a shake) an hour or so before lifting?

I’ve never had problems lifting in the morning, it’s the only time I can do it. I usually have a banana and some coffee before working out. I usually wake up quite early (around 4 in the morning). So having a shake pre-workout an hour before isn’t going to happen.

[quote]Gaijin-san wrote:
I’ve never had problems lifting in the morning, it’s the only time I can do it. I usually have a banana and some coffee before working out. I usually wake up quite early (around 4 in the morning). So having a shake pre-workout an hour before isn’t going to happen. [/quote]

Well, lifting in the AM in a fasted state is better than no lifting, I suppose. Just know that your V-Diet results will be compromised.