Biotest

Artificial Sweeteners

Chris,

What is your opinion on artificial sweeteners? I thought stevia was the best one and now I just recently heard that it may lower testosterone.

What do you use for sweeteners?

Thanks

I use stevia or Splenda (sucralose). Be careful, the internet is full of “sky is falling” types that read a few bad studies and label artificial sweeteners as poison. For example, most of the studies use rats and more sweetener than a human could ever consume in one day. It would be like force feeding water into someone and when they die of water intoxication (a real condition) saying that water is toxic to humans and should be avoided.

Also, many of the “bad” artificial sweetener studies were conducted by the big sugar industry and the universities that take their “donations” to build big new labs where, magically, sugar becomes healthy and artificial sweeteners become evil. There was a recent article in Mother Jones magazine about this that was eye-opening if you want to Google it. I think the author was Michael Pollan.

In short, enjoy your artificial sweetener, just don’t consume 3 pounds of it at a sitting.

Thanks Chris for the great reply. I will not sweat having a little Splenda or Stevia now and then…

Chris wrote: Also, many of the “bad” artificial sweetener studies were conducted by the big sugar industry and the universities that take their “donations” to build big new labs where, magically, sugar becomes healthy and artificial sweeteners become evil."

Yeah but there’s a flip side to that coin because it was artificial sweetener industry that also kept stevia off the market
via the FDA saying it was unsafe around 20 years ago and was banned for several years in the U.S.
Long story short, Stevia was finally allowed in the U.S. under one condition…get a load of this…they could
NOT directly label it as a “sweetener”, only as a “dietary supplement”, and for the longest time it was that
way, however they seem to finally loosening up on their labeling rules after 20 years.
I used to jolt health food store reps when they could not find the word “sweetener” on boxes of stevia
anywhere.
Let’s get real, there are no ‘good guys’ or ‘bad guys’ in this game…it’s just capitalism, it’s business,
it’s cut throat on all sides.
I’d rather go natural, dosage may make the poison, but I’ve read enough on Aspartame from respected
sources to stay the hell away from it.