Biotest

Artificial Sweeteners


#1

Chris, after reading through your forum, i have really enjoyed all of your recipes.

however i notice many recipes that use splenda or another type of artificial sweetener. i read a recent study from 2008 that a university is performing (forgive me, i cant find the link again) linking artificial sweeteners to insulin resistance.

the study shows that when sugar is eliminated from one’s diet and artificial sweetener is used as a replacement, one’s body gets used to associating a sweet taste (ie. splenda) with zero insulin response (since none is needed for a 0 calorie substance), therefore training your body to ignore the taste as a sign to produce insulin.

have you heard of this study? if yes, what are your thoughts on it?


#2

First keep in mind that most artificial sweetener scare stories come from studies funded by the sugar refiner groups a.ka. Big Sugar.

Also, they use amounts in their animal studies that a human could never consume in one day. (And remember that you could kill yourself even by over-consuming pure water.)

Now, as far the insulin thing, I’ve heard the theory. But it real life, I just don’t know of anyone who’s gotten fat from 0 calorie (or near-zero calorie) sweetener.

In the end, let’s say that artificial sweetener, taken in HUGE amounts, is not that great for you. Well, it’s still better than the equivalent amount of sugar, which is guaranteed to be bad for you!

I love my sucralose (Splenda).


#3

Chris, neither in Germany nor in Spain was I able to get my hands on Splenda. There are other sweeteners tough that got the same volume, but use aspartame or cyclamate as a sweetening agent. The material the use to volumize the sweetener always is maltodextrose, so at the same weight you get the same amount of carbs as with table sugar â?? it just got more volume. Is this also the case with splenda? I guess pure sucralose would be to sweet, so they’ll have to use some kind of volumizer to.


#4

[quote]alexanderdokov wrote:
Chris, neither in Germany nor in Spain was I able to get my hands on Splenda. There are other sweeteners tough that got the same volume, but use aspartame or cyclamate as a sweetening agent. The material the use to volumize the sweetener always is maltodextrose, so at the same weight you get the same amount of carbs as with table sugar â?? it just got more volume. Is this also the case with splenda? I guess pure sucralose would be to sweet, so they’ll have to use some kind of volumizer to.[/quote]

Yes, Splenda contains sucralose and maltodextrin. It’s a very tiny amount though, so small it can claim to be calorie free though it probably has some trace calories.


#5

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Now, as far the insulin thing, I’ve heard the theory. But it real life, I just don’t know of anyone who’s gotten fat from 0 calorie (or near-zero calorie) sweetener.

In the end, let’s say that artificial sweetener, taken in HUGE amounts, is not that great for you. Well, it’s still better than the equivalent amount of sugar, which is guaranteed to be bad for you!
[/quote]
in view of that, what would YOU consider a high/huge amount?

and ive seen different views of diet drinks, both in moderation and just substituting for full sugar drinks. i personally havent made up my mind to whether its ok to have them (maybe one daily, if even that, while still drinking just water the rest of the day) or if, when dieting, they should just be stayed away from all together. what do you think?


#6

[quote]BARDUKE wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Now, as far the insulin thing, I’ve heard the theory. But it real life, I just don’t know of anyone who’s gotten fat from 0 calorie (or near-zero calorie) sweetener.

In the end, let’s say that artificial sweetener, taken in HUGE amounts, is not that great for you. Well, it’s still better than the equivalent amount of sugar, which is guaranteed to be bad for you!
[/quote]
in view of that, what would YOU consider a high/huge amount?

and ive seen different views of diet drinks, both in moderation and just substituting for full sugar drinks. i personally havent made up my mind to whether its ok to have them (maybe one daily, if even that, while still drinking just water the rest of the day) or if, when dieting, they should just be stayed away from all together. what do you think?[/quote]

In the animal studies that showed negative results from artificial sweeteners, they used so much that a person would have to practically carry around a box and eat it with a spoon all day. So really, it’s nothing to worry about.

As for diet sodas, well, if the sweetness and carbonation help someone to resist a donut, then I’m all for diet sodas. But of course water is best. I’ll drink a diet soda occasionally, but I don’t swill them all day long.


#7

thanks for your time and info Chris. i really appreciate it!


#8

I like Splenda but i also like Stevia. I rotate between the two of them.


#9

#10

#11