Biotest

Are You Serious About This Velocity Diet?

I have been reading T-Nation for a long time and I have reading the article about the Velocity Diet. I am not trying to get flamed on this but I have to ask, How the hell can you just drink 5 protein shakes a day?

Are you fing serious about this? I am all for dieting, but 25 protein shakes for monday through friday. I am no expert but arent whole foods much more health than protein powder? This almost seems like an unrealistic push for Biotest products. I opened this topic for discussion, I just want to see what everyone else thinks.

Take the diet of the average American and tell me how their daily food consumption is better than mine on the velocity diet. And I’m only doing this for 28 days before I go back to eating whole meals.

I have done this before and the last time I got my lipid profile done before and after the v-diet and all of my numbers improved (bad cholesterol went down, good actually went up slightly…which is hard to do, and my triglycerides were low) after the diet.

Ok, so I dug around and found my test results from last time. Granted, this is only one aspect of things but I was happy with it.

I did the V-Diet from 1 - 28 November 2006. Had my first test done on 1 November with the following results (normal, acceptable values listed in parenthesis):

total cholesterol: 99 (120-199)
LDL: 60 (60-129)
HDL: 33 (35-70)
Triglyceride: 32 (30-204)

So everything looked pretty good. Cholesterol was a little low and HDL was low as well. Note that it is relatively “easy” to lower your bad cholesterol (LDL) but hard to actually raise the good one (HDL).

I had the test run again on 6 DEC 06 with the following results:

total cholesterol: 110
LDL: 65
HDL: 37
Triglyceride: 40

Everything else in my lipid profile was within acceptable ranges but I’m not listing them because honestly, I don’t know what they mean.

So after 28 days on the diet everything looked pretty good and impressively raised my HDL to within acceptable limits.

Now tell me why you think it’s bad and what science do you have to back it up?

Shugs has answered this before… I’m not going to look around for it. But read the V-Diet article with Dan John.

[quote]allenkt wrote:
Take the diet of the average American and tell me how their daily food consumption is better than mine on the velocity diet.
[/quote]

Perfectly put. Whenever my friend sees me shaking away she always snickers and I simply ask “what did you have to eat today?” this usually shuts her up.

[quote]Kurlie26 wrote:
and I simply ask “what did you have to eat today?” this usually shuts her up.[/quote]

LMAO!

Makavali,

Just wondering… I’m sort of new here, but i see that you are very involved in the V-Diet section. Do you have stats from yours? You seem to know a lot so you’d probably have some of the best pics/stats.

Can’t you see from Mak’s avatar? Thats his transformation after only 2 weeks on the V-diet. He used to be over 600 pounds.

[quote]Gene_lasker wrote:
Can’t you see from Mak’s avatar? Thats his transformation after only 2 weeks on the V-diet. He used to be over 600 pounds.[/quote]

Damn straight. I also won Mr. Olympia (not really).

[quote]wecndo wrote:
Makavali,

Just wondering… I’m sort of new here, but i see that you are very involved in the V-Diet section. Do you have stats from yours? You seem to know a lot so you’d probably have some of the best pics/stats.[/quote]

I haven’t taken pics, but I lost about 10kg on my first run. I don’t know a lot, I just made sure I read all the original articles before trying the diet. The majority of what I’ve said is to stick to what’s written in the articles, and not deviate from that. Not only do you lose a LOT of weight, you DO get that change in tastes.

I <3 Steamed Broccoli

Before: 180lbs @ 25%bf

Now: 185lbs @ 12ish%bf

What did I do? V-Diet, Anabolic Diet (bulk) + Optimized Volume Training, Low-carb diet + OVT (not smart, I know), and now clean bulk + whatever I feel like until I find a new program.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
wecndo wrote:
Makavali,

Just wondering… I’m sort of new here, but i see that you are very involved in the V-Diet section. Do you have stats from yours? You seem to know a lot so you’d probably have some of the best pics/stats.

I haven’t taken pics, but I lost about 10kg on my first run. I don’t know a lot, I just made sure I read all the original articles before trying the diet. The majority of what I’ve said is to stick to what’s written in the articles, and not deviate from that. Not only do you lose a LOT of weight, you DO get that change in tastes.

I <3 Steamed Broccoli

Before: 180lbs @ 25%bf

Now: 185lbs @ 12ish%bf

What did I do? V-Diet, Anabolic Diet (bulk) + Optimized Volume Training, Low-carb diet + OVT (not smart, I know), and now clean bulk + whatever I feel like until I find a new program.[/quote]

back to my original post, I am not a bodybuilder, but i know several guys that are bodybuilders and they give me advise from time to time. I have never heard of one person tell me just to drink 5 protein shakes a day and no whole food.

I have no scientific evidence because i am not a scientist, but most diets I read about and get from friends that have guys that they pay for advise (diet, workouts, supplements) tell them to go with more whole foods and reserve protein for after workout and casein before bed IF you cant get a get a whole food protein source at that time.

I personally just think that a whole food diet of clean REAL food would yield better results.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I personally just think that a whole food diet of clean REAL food would yield better results.[/quote]

Well knock yourself out, nobody here is forcing you to do the Velocity diet. So go ahead and do your whole food diet starting next week and lets compare results. So far I have lost almost 9 pounds and 2 inches off my waist in 14 days and my lifts have stayed pretty consistent. I have posted all my pictures and stats in my thread.

Your turn. Put up or shut up.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I personally just think that a whole food diet of clean REAL food would yield better results.[/quote]

Then why on earth did you make this abortion of a thread?

In my opinion the V-Diet is no different from a whole food low carb/high protein diet. Except the V-Diet is not solid. Due to the high protein in-take you will be able to sustain your muscle mass, might even gain a little, while losing nothing but pure fat. With a whole food version I lost 0.7kg a week with 0.5kg pure fat and some muscle loss. With the V-Diet I managed to lose 1kg a week PURE FAT and also gained a few grams of muscle.

The real difference in my eyes is the detox effect. A lot of people walk around with dead weight in their gut. Stuff that hasn’t been digested fully and stuck to the walls of your stomach and in between those little hairs of your intestines. This often gives you a bloated look even though you’re low fat, which sucks.

So after the V-Diet you lost that dead weight, removed the clutter so that the solid food moves faster through your body which actually improved/repaired my f’ed up metabolism.

Now you could do a detox with a whole food diet, but why do both when you get all in one package?

The change in taste never happened to me. I even have more cravings for junk food afterwards so it takes a lot of discipline not to buy it. So I always eat up healthy before doing groceries and not get tempted to buy M&M’s or chocolate hehe.

Also when it comes to T-Nation I always stay skeptical. Like you I also think that most products, especially the Physical Clinics, is nothing more then easy publicity to hype up their products. But hey…they just trying to make a living. However you’re not confined to using just their products for the V-Diet. I didn’t buy anything, except for some Hot-Rox which I’m gonna try during my second run through the V-diet.

Still the PC is very motivational and you can learn a lot from it such as the usage of BCAA’s which works a hell of a lot better when you use 4times the max dosage prescribed on the bottle hehe.

Still you need to look carefully to find suitable replacements not any Weight Gainer will suffice so look at the ingredients. Same goes for proteine/casseine shakes. Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Limeseeds and stuff are the same everywheren basically so no hustle there. For fatburner I used Venom Hyperdrive. This time I’m also going to add esther based creatine this time around. I need to lose 8cm’s which is half of what I lost last time…

Now if Shugart would find a way to get the loose skin back in place then you’d have a perfect Xtrem-Cut Regime which beats any other cutting diet in my opinion. But then again I used V-Diet by “accident”. Was busy losing fat for 6-7 months and was lower in fat% then ever in my life. But at one point it wouldn’t move and got desperate. Desperate enough to use the sledgehammer called V-Diet.

Normally I wouldn’t try such theoretically insane diets, but it worked. So I’ll be using this V-Diet in the future whenever cutting is required :smiley:

[quote]Falstyr wrote:
In my opinion the V-Diet is no different from a whole food low carb/high protein diet. Except the V-Diet is not solid. Due to the high protein in-take you will be able to sustain your muscle mass, might even gain a little, while losing nothing but pure fat. With a whole food version I lost 0.7kg a week with 0.5kg pure fat and some muscle loss. With the V-Diet I managed to lose 1kg a week PURE FAT and also gained a few grams of muscle.

The real difference in my eyes is the detox effect. A lot of people walk around with dead weight in their gut. Stuff that hasn’t been digested fully and stuck to the walls of your stomach and in between those little hairs of your intestines. This often gives you a bloated look even though you’re low fat, which sucks.

So after the V-Diet you lost that dead weight, removed the clutter so that the solid food moves faster through your body which actually improved/repaired my f’ed up metabolism.

Now you could do a detox with a whole food diet, but why do both when you get all in one package?

The change in taste never happened to me. I even have more cravings for junk food afterwards so it takes a lot of discipline not to buy it. So I always eat up healthy before doing groceries and not get tempted to buy M&M’s or chocolate hehe.

Also when it comes to T-Nation I always stay skeptical. Like you I also think that most products, especially the Physical Clinics, is nothing more then easy publicity to hype up their products. But hey…they just trying to make a living. However you’re not confined to using just their products for the V-Diet. I didn’t buy anything, except for some HOT-ROX which I’m gonna try during my second run through the V-diet.

Still the PC is very motivational and you can learn a lot from it such as the usage of BCAA’s which works a hell of a lot better when you use 4times the max dosage prescribed on the bottle hehe.

Still you need to look carefully to find suitable replacements not any Weight Gainer will suffice so look at the ingredients. Same goes for proteine/casseine shakes. Fish Oil, Flaxseed, Limeseeds and stuff are the same everywheren basically so no hustle there. For fatburner I used Venom Hyperdrive. This time I’m also going to add esther based creatine this time around. I need to lose 8cm’s which is half of what I lost last time…

Now if Shugart would find a way to get the loose skin back in place then you’d have a perfect Xtrem-Cut Regime which beats any other cutting diet in my opinion. But then again I used V-Diet by “accident”. Was busy losing fat for 6-7 months and was lower in fat% then ever in my life. But at one point it wouldn’t move and got desperate. Desperate enough to use the sledgehammer called V-Diet.

Normally I wouldn’t try such theoretically insane diets, but it worked. So I’ll be using this V-Diet in the future whenever cutting is required :D[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasnt trying to post to get everyone defensive like most of the people in the thread. It just seemed insane to me, and it also seemed like they were trying to push their Biotest products. I am glad to get everyones feedback on the Vdiet and I am recovering from a shoulder impingement and havent been able to work out for the last 5 weeks. I have gained a little bit of fat, up to about 16-17% BF from around 10-12% and was reading about the Vdiet and was just trying to understand how it made sense. I have refused to go into the gym because it drives me crazy to go in there and not be able to lift whatever I want. Thanks again.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I have refused to go into the gym because it drives me crazy to go in there and not be able to lift whatever I want. Thanks again.[/quote]

haha…that right there tells me everything I need know.

[quote]allenkt wrote:
BSC819 wrote:
I have refused to go into the gym because it drives me crazy to go in there and not be able to lift whatever I want. Thanks again.

haha…that right there tells me everything I need know.

[/quote]

Yeah no working out for a month and I still look better than you. You look puny even on a Harley. I am not sure why you are talking sh*t. I guess there is no substitute for genetics, its obvious in your case. So keep drinking you 10 protein shakes a day you doucheball.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I wasnt trying to post to get everyone defensive like most of the people in the thread. It just seemed insane to me, and it also seemed like they were trying to push their Biotest products. I am glad to get everyones feedback on the Vdiet and I am recovering from a shoulder impingement and havent been able to work out for the last 5 weeks. I have gained a little bit of fat, up to about 16-17% BF from around 10-12% and was reading about the Vdiet and was just trying to understand how it made sense. I have refused to go into the gym because it drives me crazy to go in there and not be able to lift whatever I want. Thanks again.[/quote]

4-5% gain in BF is a little? Are ya kidding? What have you been doing the past 5 weeks to gain that much? Come on now, just because you can’t do upper body lifts doesn’t give you an excuse to put on that much weight. I’ve dealt with shoulder impingement issues since I was in highschool (including surgery before I could even drive), and you know what I did? I found ways to work around it- I even had periods where I improved my overall athletic performance because of the alternate training methods. No reason to put on 5% body fat in 5 weeks. An injury is not an excuse to fall behind… if you don’t let it become one.

Maybe you should work on that before you come in here and bash a diet you clearly don’t understand. I drink 4 shakes a day. I’m not hungry. And it’s not crazy. Get offline and get back to the gym. Or at least be productive and spend your time figuring out ways you can work out rather than coming here and starting threads like this.

BSC819, don’t knock it before you try it. Allen is on his second run so either the man is completely off his rocker or he should be dead according to you. From his results it looks like neither is the case and the only option left is it worked. And to be quite honest I can’t believe you just pulled a “genetics” excuse… you can make excuses all day but no matter how good they are you won’t gain an ounce of muscle.
I’m on week 3 of the V-diet, I’ve lost 20-25 pounds over the first 2 weeks. That is insane results and far better then most of the people on this site so far. I started at 260lbs at roughly 16% body fat. Hell after day 3 the rest of this diet has been a cake walk. Today at lunch I was surrounded by five people eating chinese food, I wasn’t even affected when some of my old favorite dishes were within arms reach.
As for a push for Biotest products, yeah maybe, I don’t know. I know they’re quality, that’s why I use them. If they were shit products there are enough people on this site who would make a ruckus about it. Maybe I overpay a little, maybe I over pay alot, but honestly I can’t argue with my results.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I have refused to go into the gym because it drives me crazy to go in there and not be able to lift whatever I want. Thanks again.[/quote]

If you’re going to post a statement like this you either A. Don’t belong on this site or B. don’t read enough of TC’s articles. You seem to think going to the gym is a chore. Its a stress releaver to the majority of us. Of coarse the diet would seem insane to someone with that attitude, hell half the workouts would too. Eitherway most people on this site are not striving to be average, in fact were doing what we can to get away from it.

[quote]BSC819 wrote:
I have been reading T-Nation for a long time and I have reading the article about the Velocity Diet. I am not trying to get flamed on this but I have to ask, How the hell can you just drink 5 protein shakes a day?

Are you fing serious about this? I am all for dieting, but 25 protein shakes for monday through friday. I am no expert but arent whole foods much more health than protein powder? This almost seems like an unrealistic push for Biotest products. I opened this topic for discussion, I just want to see what everyone else thinks.[/quote]

For starters, I get 4.5 shakes/day, not 5. :slight_smile:

I understand the value of clean, moderate dieting. I lost 56 pounds in 2 years like this. In year 2, I was sick of dieting, and alternated with mini-bulks. (not yo-yoing, but intentional mini-bulk/diet cycle) I think I’ve earned my way out of any criticisms of impatience. At this point, I’m sick and tired of “dieting”, so I’m trying the V-Diet to quickly knock out the remaining fat that I’d like to lose.

One reason I’m doing this supplement-based diet instead of real food is that after 2 years, I’m sick and *#^&% tired of meticulously preparing, cooking, and tracking calories & macros for real food. To boot, the V-Diet is inexpensive (compared to 6 whole food meals/day) - a bonus considering the escalating price of real food.

Finally, the V-Diet is very temporary. I think I’m not doing a disservice to myself provided that 1) I don’t V-Diet often, and 2) I know fully well how to maintain the weight loss I get from it.

Berardi has a 12-week whole-foods based “Get Shredded Diet” you could look at if you feel strongly about whole foods.