Biotest

Aragorn's V-Diet Log

I suppose this could have been put in the Bodybuilding forum. But I’m not a bodybuilder. I’m a man who trains for powerlifting. So, I decided to post this here, where my success or failure may help other people interested in the strength sports.

I’m posting here to lock myself in–I’ve already bought the supps, but let’s face it: there are a lot of things you could use that protein for. And besides, I hate dieting. Don’t confuse this with hating to eat healthy: I love spinach, I love fruit, and I love lean meat and eggs. I like eating healthy. But I don’t like doing prolonged dieting below maintenance. So, I’ve decided to try an experiment. I’m going to do a flash diet, and attempt to lean down quickly, so that I can go back to eating maintenance or more, and not feel tired at the gym for a long time.

I decided on the V-Diet because it is known for quick results, and also because it is known for restructuring psychological cravings. I’ve started to crave foods that I normally don’t, and I don’t like that. I’ve only ever really had 3 dietary weaknesses–Chipotle (my bulking friend), Pizza, and a local dish at one of the restaurants here called the “Resist Temptation”.

Needless to say, it is ironically named. I get it with buffalo meat…mmm tasty. However, I’m starting to crave these and other foods that won’t do anything for me and that I haven’t typically craved. I don’t want to let that go on any longer, so I’m going to nip this in the bud.

I’m about 221, somewhere around 12% bf. Usual weight varies between 225-228–started cutting down carbs for the past few weeks in a (probably vain) attempt to make the transition easier. I’ve been as high as 238–soft, but not fat (however, I felt it was too fat for my personal taste). This was at the end of my last bulk, somewhere around November. I put on some good muscle with it, so it was productive.

Diet specifics–modified V-Diet base. I’m increasing calories over the original recommendations to help with my training. Everything else will be identical–only 1 solid meal a week, flax seed/fish oil/Met. Drive shakes, Surge peri-workout. I’m dieting only for 2 weeks. The 3rd week will be a transition off, with me (hopefully) hitting the 4th week on a normal diet with slightly lower carbs, and all my muscle mass.

Potential Setbacks–

I’ve chosen to start this at a very stressful time. As I sit here posting this note, my thesis is on my macbook’s desktop, staring malevolently at me. I’m ignoring it because I’ve been unable to write much today, despite the fact that it is behind schedule and I’m having nightmares about it eating my soul (well, ok I’m not dreaming that. It’s happening in real-time), that I’m naturally an insomniac, and that I’ve got a bunch of things staring me in the face–like a job search, taxes, bills, potentially moving, and just recently, romantic entanglements. Fucking. Joy.

Additionally, I’m dieting only for 2 week, which is when the cravings get the worst. Psychological changes shouldn’t really set in until week 3. But I think they will happen to me. In fact, I know they will. To combat this last pitfall, my transition week will be just as low carb as the original, only with mostly solid food. And the repetition will still be there, with no cheat meals that week either.

Training specifics–This should be a bit more interesting. My training will be either built on Thib’s Refined Physique transformation, or his HSS-100 program, with a focus on maximal strength. I haven’t fully decided yet, but I will be before I begin. Regardless my training will be focused on providing enough of a stimulus change from my current style to elevate my adaptation response to the diet, while still training for max strength/PLing.

As is my wont, I will be fully planned out until “normal” eating habits resume, with training and schedules figured to the best of my ability, and contingencies planned.

I plan to start this tomorrow, however, it depends on how much I can get done on my thesis before I hit the sack. I want to finish my introduction before I start off. If I’m not able to schedule things out tonight I’ll start sometime mid week, to ensure a properly thought out regime. I will post when I start

Goals–

Mentioned throughout the last couple posts, but here they are in list form

• Drop around 10 lbs fat
  • kill weird cravings
    ***Keep training effectively for PL goals
    ***Get my mind right and get focused. I believe that if I can Do this effectively, my mental game will be a lot stronger to deal with the craziness of the next few months of my life. Specifically to deal with distractions from women and get my life in order–I am not known for being organized outside of my training life. I want to change this and I think using my training obsession to bridge the discipline to the other areas of of my life that could benefit.

I benefit a lot from a sole, complete focus with regards to training, as opposed to a gradual approach with things. I like to be focused onto 1 thing. If I am able to keep up my training intensity and make progress, I may use this V-Diet burst every 6 weeks or so to simultaneously lean up and keep progressing with my PR goals. Even if I don’t set PRs, if I am able to maintain my strength I will consider it a success.

Haha, you’re turning into a bodybuilder!

I’m curious to see how this turns out. I’d be afraid of losing too much muscle mass on this diet, as your bf% is already relatively low. Did you take any measurements when you started, circumference and thickness with calipers?

Good luck, keep this updated

Ouch ted. That hurts…

No I haven’t taken measurements yet, because I haven’t started yet–first priority MUST be to get my thesis taken care of. Only need to turn in the intro and figures at this point, so I should be ok as long as I finish that in the next couple days. But until that stressor is taken care of I cannot in good conscience start the diet for fear of losing the ability to think/fatigue, etc. Historically I’ve done very well with carbs, and not very well when they go away. So I need to make sure my priorities are straight.

I’ll probably take measurements, but the big thing for me is going to be my strength. I really don’t care if my measurements decrease, or even if I lose muscle, as long as my strength is maintained. But yeah, that’s a primary reason I’m limiting this to 2 weeks duration. That way I can cut my losses if things start to go too badly for me, and the transition time is shorter to ‘normal’ eating.

I’m not worried about low volume intense training, it’s only the lactic acid style training that I’m worried about.

Oh, and btw ted, we’ve gotten strongman days going again on Saturday. This one is going to be the biggest yet–2 kegs, the stones you and I picked up are still there, a tow rope/harness for truck pulling, and one of the guys is bringing a big tire to flip. We’ve also got an Olympic bar, but no weight (although I’ve got chains we can attach for overhead lunges). If I can rustle up some plates we’ll be golden. Thrash metal + heavy objects + angry men = The best Saturday ever. I want to see how many people we can scare off from the dorms next door.

I’ll be making frequent/daily posts when I do start to keep me sane and let me rant about stuff. So, you’ll know. I may throw in a training log, maybe not.

Oh, and ted, I’ve got an official 500 lb parallel good morning. Foo’.

Are you doing strongman every Saturday? I’ll be coming that way in a few weeks nad wouldn’t mind joining in if I have the time. I was actually wondering just a few days ago if our rocks were still there, I figured they were, lol.

I’ve got the home gym going. It’s kind of limited as all I have is a rack and crappy adjustable bench, but I do have plenty of weight - 12 45’s - I don’t think a 675 DL is happening anytime soon so that should definitely last a while. I’m going to build a platform in the next couple of weeks, complete with removable hooks for bands. A home-made GHR is also in the works.

I heard about the 500 lb gm in the other thread. Pretty impressive. I’ve finally got mine to a respectable level, but nowhere near there. I’ve got my eyes on the 585 DL right now. The last year was kind of wasted as far as my DL goes, I messed with my form a bunch to no avail. It was hard for me to swallow the fact that I was considerably stronger in ALL of my other lifts, but weaker in my favorite, so I am back to my old form.

Anyways, end hijack, let us know how the diet goes.

Good Luck aragorn.

its always nice to get a little cut for the summer :smiley:

im looking forward to following this.

Ok, so I’m taking the plunge tomorrow. I’m getting stuff ready tonight. I’m pretty well very scared. Not because I have a lot of weight to lose (quite the contrary actually), but because I’m so stressed with the rest of life and my thesis right now. And now women. Why NOW??? Of all times, why now?? 2 months ago, women = good. After defense women = awesome. But now? Come on life. Throw me a couple bones here.

I do NOT want to fail. I pride myself on having iron discipline to accomplish what I set out to do. I also pride myself on not quitting and on planning my training very well. All of these things now hang in the balance for me, because I have to face the truth that there really is NO good time for me to do this. Failure is a very real possibility this time around. Not how I wanted it. At all.

What makes it worse is that the longer I put it off in order to get my school and life stuff out of the way, the worse it’s going to make my training life this summer. I originally wanted this out of the way by now, so I could get a comprehensive plan running for summer training and not sweat this during “hell month”. Well, so much for that.

PS–yes tedro, I can admit I finally want to see abs after 6.5 years of training hard for muscle growth and strength. From a former ecto/skinny fat/gangly/awkward high schooler.

PPS–Yeah, I’d be lying if I said the potential woman/women had nothing do to with the search for a 6 pack now… Sue me.

Ok, so training will oscillate between what I feel like doing. I will use Thibs “Refined Physique Transformation” as a template. If the lactic acid training proves too be too much, I will probably switch to a bodybuilding style HSS-100 split for the second week because I never do superset bodybuilding style training–therefore my body will still get a fat loss adaptation because I always train using long rests and no supersets anyway with my WSB influenced training.

I am substituting a Strongman event day for the 2nd lactic acid training session on Saturday. If I feel good, I will be in the gym after strongman to do some more training. Which will probably include arms. This is because we have too many people on event days to keep short rest periods, especially considering that we have to reset the equipment between runs. Arms on Saturday is also because I need fresh arms for flips, carries and throws. Let’s face it, I’m competitive and I don’t want to be hamstrung by sore and weak arms.

Schedule Prototype:

Mon–Heavy legs
Tues–Heavy bench/back
Wed–OFF
Thurs–Lactic Acid #1
Fri–OFF (arms/shoulders in the original article)
Sat–Strongman, Arms/Shoulders
Sun–OFF

Mon/Tues are switched in the original program, and I may end up switching the days as well, it just depends on whether I am fresh for legs or not after Sat.

Arms may be thrown in on Tues or Thurs for a few sets as well. Nothing heavy, just enough to get some reps in and as a contingency if strongman burns me out (which is very possible, even likely).

Walking will be done every day.

Nutrition–well tonight is my last solid meal, so I’m making it count with a cheat meal. I’m pretty pissed I missed Chipotle’s closing today. I just got back from a harsh training session today anyway. Reverse band off a 4 inch platform 585x1, no platform DL 635 x 1, 675 x fail (got almost to knees), followed by box squat up to 75% x 5 reps. Trick was that I kept the band assistance at the bottom of my dl to about 85-90% of my floor 1 RM, so I’m straining the whole way up.

Anyway, for the V-Diet I’m bumping the calories up because I want to keep core PL training intense:

Calculations show–1560 - 1873 cals/day

protein 250 g/day
fat 100 g/day
= 1900 cal or so.
carbs --whatever Surge or Metabolic Drive has, or nothing.

Fat comes from fish oil or flax seeds. I’m going to get between 40-60 g of fish oil a day.

I will be using Superfood as well, after training to keep radicals down. I may double dose it some days with breakfast or pre-training.

I’m not sweating the small stuff as far as calories go. I’m going to get between 1900-2000 or so every day, including training days. Remember, I don’t need to lose a ton of weight, and I’m doing this for the habit changes and discipline, and as an experiment to see if I can do this while still training effectively for PL. Hence the calorie bump. The extra calories come from protein, for obvious reasons during a low carb diet.

Oh yes, my starting weight today–I’m calling it 220 even. I’ve been fluctuating between 219 and 220.something for the last couple days. Didn’t weigh myself today because I’m rushing around trying to get stuff done.

Have I mentioned my sleep schedule is erratic due to school? Chalk another one up to “potential deal breakers” See you all tomorrow.

good luck man! i also train as a powerlifter so im very eager to see how this works out for you

So I went to the Walmart to grab my fish oil. I used the walk there as my morning ‘cardio’ or whatever you call it. I figured the walk would take about 45 min b plus whatever I spent in the store. Nope. Took me 34 min + 10 trying to speed walk around the store trying to keep my heart moving at least a little and avoiding the fatties clogging the aisles. I hate Walmart.

So I’m searching for the fish oil and CAN’T FIND it. Finally I track it down and lo and behold, the brand I get is GONE. Walmart, king of all retailers, is OUT OF STOCK of 3 of the 5 sizes of containers and my brand. So I have to settle for some craptastic oil that actually has…get this, saturated fat in each serving. And only 720 mg of EPA/DHA per 2 g /capsules. This is beginning great. At least there’s only .5g saturated fat for 2 capsules. Oh, and the bastards want to try and count the gelatin in the caps as “protein”. Hah. Have I mentioned how much I hate Walmart?

I also discovered that my leg training is working. Apparently. I started to feel a burn between my thighs (Insert your own STD joke here) on my walk back. Only the last 6 minutes or so, but that was a new sensation to me. Never had that happen before, even during cardio before, or sports, or long hikes during climbing trips. Legs are floating around 28 inches a piece, btw. Apparently my walking style is weird. Go figure. Now I just need my upper body to catch up with my legs.

Finally, I found out that Superfood looks like powdered dung when you open the container. No, seriously. Doesn’t smell that great either (could be my stuffy nose though). But fortunately when you put water in the glass it looks like a berry fruit smoothy and smells like berries. Doesn’t taste foul either. Biotest has yet to let me down.

If Shugart ever reads this thread, I’d be interested in his “serving size” for his milled flax seed that he used in the original Diet (eg–1 Tbsp serving or 2 Tbsp serving, etc). I’ve got whole flax seeds that I’m going to grind up because they were free and I didn’t want to pay for flax seeds until I ran out of this.

Bench and back training today, later. Right now I’m going to try and write some more on my paper. We’ll see if it goes anywhere, considering I tend to stare at the words blankly. They should mean something to me, but they don’t. I’m starting to just read the same 4 sentences over and over again and they mean nothing to me. Welcome to burn out.

PS–this log will also double as a venting/ranting outlet for me, so I can keep sane. Not so much because of the diet as life in general for me. I think under normal life circumstances the diet would be a piece of cake. So if some guys don’t want to read rantings, or get all pissy because you think it shows that I’m immature, or bigoted, or chauvinistic, or acting like an old man that wishes for the ‘good old days’ or that I hate emo kids (see the Emo Riot thread), you can skip this thread, or bite me. But you’d be right about the emos. :slight_smile:

[quote]masonator wrote:
good luck man! i also train as a powerlifter so im very eager to see how this works out for you[/quote]

Yeah, that’s the reason I posted in this forum and not the bb forum. When I first read about the diet from Shugs I got the bug in my head that this might be useful to help make weight before a comp. The necessary requirement for it to be useful is a maintenance of strength and muscle. Preferably an increase in strength as seen by bodyweight independent lifts like bench, squat, dead, etc.

This semester just gave me an excuse to experiment. If it starts to eat my training effectiveness I’m going to drop the diet. I may want a 6 pack for teh ladiez and hate long diets, but I’m not going to compromise my immediate and long term PL goals for one. I’m going to stay true to the last 6 years of my life, so they can bite me (please? If I’m nice? :slight_smile: ).

EDIT–Starting weight is actually 221. My cheat meal combined with a lot of water before bed, and a glass before I weighed myself bumped it up.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I also discovered that my leg training is working. Apparently. I started to feel a burn between my thighs (Insert your own STD joke here) on my walk back. Only the last 6 minutes or so, but that was a new sensation to me. Never had that happen before, even during cardio before, or sports, or long hikes during climbing trips. Legs are floating around 28 inches a piece, btw. Apparently my walking style is weird. Go figure. Now I just need my upper body to catch up with my legs.
[/quote]

Baby Powder. And don’t wear jeans for long walks. Just wait until they get so chafed that they start to bleed, combine that with a little sweat and it burns like crazy, then you spend the next couple days walking around like you’ve got something stuck between your legs.

Mwahaha! Sounds like someone else has been there.

Yeah. I actually wore my typical lined warmup pants for the walk. I guess I’ll invest in a some boxer briefs or some athletic shorts for the walks. Doesn’t bother me in day to day life though, or strongman stuff. Weird sensation. I wouldn’t want to be a heavyweight or SHW bb’er. That crap must burn.

Boxer briefs actually make it worse for me. They always start crawling up and bunching between my legs, then if I sweat they get wet and make it even worse.

It really only happens to me when I walk, but then it’s every time I walk for any distance at all. Running or lifting doesn’t bother it, but I don’t ever run long distances.

So, just got back from the gym. went in at 7:30, finished at 9:45, spotted a couple guys. I’m downing my Surge half during and half after.

Good session, but I don’t know how long that will last. Set a PR on reverse band bench, but afterwards my db row and db bench weights were below par. db row suffered more; think it may be time to switch lifts. Finished up with ultra wide chins (which I suck at), bicep curls, weighted decline sit-ups, rope pushdowns. Felt strong on the first movement, but that alone took an hour.

[b]Bench/Back, heavy[/b]
Reverse band bench 9 sets, 4 singles, 1 PR, 1 missed lift

neutral grip db bench 1x6, 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x5–gassed after ME bench, triceps gone

db row 120x6 felt waaay heavier than normal, 3x5 @ 135–gassed, time to change movements this is 12% lighter load than normal and I lost both sets and reps as well. Could also have been my deadlifts yesterday.

A1) ultra wide chin 4x6
A2) decline abs 3 sets

bicep curls 3 sets
rope pushdowns 2 sets

Also, one of my roommates just decided to bake some bread. It just keeps getting better–I could smell it from the hallway as I came back, and it’s going to be rough because they order pizza all the time. Loft apartment is not good for keeping smells away.

So far, I’ve had 2 shakes today–went to bed at 5 am, got up at 1:15 pm, went to the gym at 7:30. 3 more to go. I told you my sleep schedule was erratic. I’ll post my shakes at the end of the day.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
So, just got back from the gym. went in at 7:30, finished at 9:45, spotted a couple guys. I’m downing my Surge half during and half after.

Good session, but I don’t know how long that will last. Set a PR on reverse band bench, but afterwards my db row and db bench weights were below par. db row suffered more; think it may be time to switch lifts. Finished up with ultra wide chins (which I suck at), bicep curls, weighted decline sit-ups, rope pushdowns. Felt strong on the first movement, but that alone took an hour.

[b]Bench/Back, heavy[/b]
Reverse band bench 9 sets, 4 singles, 1 PR, 1 missed lift

neutral grip db bench 1x6, 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x5–gassed after ME bench, triceps gone

db row 120x6 felt waaay heavier than normal, 3x5 @ 135–gassed, time to change movements this is 12% lighter load than normal and I lost both sets and reps as well. Could also have been my deadlifts yesterday.

A1) ultra wide chin 4x6
A2) decline abs 3 sets

bicep curls 3 sets
rope pushdowns 2 sets

Also, one of my roommates just decided to bake some bread. It just keeps getting better–I could smell it from the hallway as I came back, and it’s going to be rough because they order pizza all the time. Loft apartment is not good for keeping smells away.

So far, I’ve had 2 shakes today–went to bed at 5 am, got up at 1:15 pm, went to the gym at 7:30. 3 more to go. I told you my sleep schedule was erratic. I’ll post my shakes at the end of the day.[/quote]

i feel your pain about the food man. my roommate LITERALLY only eats: (in no particular order)

Pizza, Lil debbies, cupcakes, candy, ice cream, and blueberry waffles. LOL