Biotest

Apricot Glaze


#1

[center]Holiday Meals, Abs Included[/center]
“Do the opposite.” It’s a great little philosophy, with applications ranging from the gym to business to creativity.

This Thanksgiving I decided to do the opposite. I took a day of gluttony and made it a day of muscle-buildin’, abs-retainin’ nutrition.

For years I’ve advised people to just enjoy their holiday meals but to remember that it’s Thanksgiving dinner, not Thanksgiving week. It’s Christmas dinner, not Christmas month. Yet for some reason, otherwise smart individuals start their holiday season by eating their kid’s Halloween candy and finish it on New Year’s day: about two months of out-of-control, physique and health-wrecking face-stuffing.

And you just can’t out-train that kind of dietary debauchery.

So this year I invited some friends over and made them a “healthed-up” Thanksgiving dinner. Here’s what it looked like:

Apricot Glazed Turkey Breast
Artichoke Stuffing
Sweet Potato and Apricot Bake
Pumpkin Mousse

Every single food was de-carbed where possible, fibered up, low-GI’ed, protein-enriched, organified*, detoxified, volumized, and calorie-reduced.

*Remember, I have an English degree. I can make up words. It’s in the fine print.

And the real kicker: It all tasted damn good, and I don’t think anyone felt really “deprived.” No one wrecked their diet plans, fell into a carb coma, fed a food addiction, took a step toward getting diabetes, or became nauseous. Honesty, I think I could’ve pulled this off without any of my guests even knowing it was a physique-supportive meal.

Now, I still think it’s generally okay to have a planned “cheat” meal on occasion, but I wanted to see if this holiday meal could be done another way: the opposite way.

The hit of the evening was the apricot glaze. I made it for the turkey as an alternative to gravy (flour, fat, sodium), but we ended up spreading it over everything. Give it a shot for your next holiday get-together:

[center]Apricot Glaze/Gravy[/center]
1 cut apricot preserves, sugar free
1/2 cup apple juice, 100% pure (I prefer the Simply Apple brand)
1 teaspoon dijon mustard, natural style

Put it all into a pan, whisk, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until you notice it thickening up.

Spread it over everything, including your girlfriend.

(Especially your girlfriend.)

Enjoy.


Thanksgiving HSMs?
#2

Thanks for posting this … its a great idea for the holiday(s)!

Can you post recipes for other dishes? If there already online can you post the link, please?


#3

I may throw more of these recipes up soon. But I didn’t get pics of everything. You know what they say: pics or it didn’t happen!


#4

I would love to see the recipe for the pumpkin mousse. I’ll believe you even without pics.


#5

Would edit, but post hasn’t shown up. What I’ve done before is mixed sugar free vanilla pudding with the pumpkin, toss in some spices and cool whip and call it good. Not too fancy, but it’s tasty.


#6

Wow Chris, that sounds terribly YUMMY… Next time, where’s my invite?

:slight_smile:

Love to see those recipes…

Heck, I’d love to see a forum here for healthy cooking where we can post pics of the final product and the recipes for them…


#7

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Every single food was de-carbed where possible, fibered up, low-GI’ed, protein-enriched, organified*, detoxified, volumized, and calorie-reduced.

And the real kicker: It all tasted damn good, and I don’t think anyone felt really “deprived.”
[/quote]

So many people associate healthy food with poor taste which is simply not the case. It is remarkable how far a little effort can go in achieving meals that are both tasty and hearty. People need to shift away from the old cliches and realize that healthy meals can be just as easy to create as the old gut busting ones.


#8

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Would edit, but post hasn’t shown up. What I’ve done before is mixed sugar free vanilla pudding with the pumpkin, toss in some spices and cool whip and call it good. Not too fancy, but it’s tasty.[/quote]

That’s pretty much it, only with some Calorie Countdown milk.


#9

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
So many people associate healthy food with poor taste which is simply not the case. It is remarkable how far a little effort can go in achieving meals that are both tasty and hearty. People need to shift away from the old cliches and realize that healthy meals can be just as easy to create as the old gut busting ones.[/quote]

This is very true. The comments that get to me are:

“I’d have abs too if I ate nothing but lettuce and carrot sticks all day.”

Huh? My weekly menu would make anyone’s mouth water!

“I like food too much to diet down.”

I like food too. So I learned to cook healthfully so I could make anything I wanted and not get fat!


#10

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
You know what they say: pics or it didn’t happen! [/quote]

Especially regarding apricot-glazed girlfriend.


#11

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:
So many people associate healthy food with poor taste which is simply not the case. It is remarkable how far a little effort can go in achieving meals that are both tasty and hearty. People need to shift away from the old cliches and realize that healthy meals can be just as easy to create as the old gut busting ones.

This is very true. The comments that get to me are:

“I’d have abs too if I ate nothing but lettuce and carrot sticks all day.”

Huh? My weekly menu would make anyone’s mouth water!

“I like food too much to diet down.”

I like food too. So I learned to cook healthfully so I could make anything I wanted and not get fat! [/quote]

So true. It’s laughable what people will come up with to avoid change. If they just put aside their laziness and ignorance, they would be able to see that the effort required to cook healthy is not some colossal feat of strength, especially when dedicated people like you have already gone through the trial and error of creating the recipes!

It might only be me, but healthy meals also make me feel much better mentally, as I don’t have to worry or feel guilty about what I have just eaten. Knowing that something tasted great and had the health benefits to match is a win win from any perspective.


#12

[quote]HG Thrower wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:
You know what they say: pics or it didn’t happen!

Especially regarding apricot-glazed girlfriend.[/quote]

Ha! Ten of TC’s funny points to HG Thrower!

Maybe one day Biotest will make those redeemable.


#13

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
HG Thrower wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:
You know what they say: pics or it didn’t happen!

Especially regarding apricot-glazed girlfriend.

Ha! Ten of TC’s funny points to HG Thrower!

Maybe one day Biotest will make those redeemable. [/quote]

Tub of ANACONDA = 1 point? Please?


#14

Yum! This brings back happy childhood memories of Saucy Susan.
That stuff could get me to eat anything!


#15

any way we can get the artichoke stuffing recipe? a quick google search only turned up stuffed artichokes…minus one blatantly unhealthy lagasse recipe.


#16

Brings up a good point - Its all about condiments. You can make anything taste good with quality condiments.


#17

sugar free whip cream, sugar free jello, cottage cheese, splenda to taste = perfect desert… I usually put berries in mine since I have a love affair with blue berries…


#18

So… Christmas is a week away and I have my family convinced that we are all going to ‘eat like Chris’! So if you have the time, can you please share those great sounding recipes with those of us that are mere mortals in the kitchen!

Thanks

N


#19

[quote]narives wrote:
So… Christmas is a week away and I have my family convinced that we are all going to ‘eat like Chris’! So if you have the time, can you please share those great sounding recipes with those of us that are mere mortals in the kitchen!

Thanks

N[/quote]

Sorry, I’m not going to have time to type those up.

Besides, your family might force you to stick your tongue to a flagpole if you make them eat like me!


#20

Here’s that pumpkin mousse recipe:

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/pumpkin_mousse