Biotest

An Aussie, a Baby and the V-Diet

G’day everyone.

As the title suggests things have been very interesting for me over the last 16 days. Today is day 16 of the V-diet for me and my wife and I have a 16 day old baby at home. That’s right on 28 Feb Thomas was born at 9:33pm and then on the morning of 1 March I began the V-diet.

I am pleased overall with my results so far but can’t wait to see where I am in 12 days time.

My day 14 weigh in saw the total weight loss for the 14 days stand at 11 pounds. I am reasonably happy with this.

Anyway, my stats at the beginning of the challenge were:-

Height - 5 foot 7inches
Weight - 178.2 pounds

Chest - 44.5 in (flexed), 43in (relaxed)
Bicep - 15.75in (left), 16in (right) (both flexed)
Waist - 36 in (flexed), 38.5in (relaxed)
Thigh - 25in (left), 25.5in (right)
Calf - 15.2in (left), 15.2in (right.

On 7 March my measurements were:-

Height - 5 foot 7inches
Weight - 170.5 pounds

Chest - 43 in (flexed), 42in (relaxed)
Bicep - 15.75in (left), 15.75in (right) (both flexed)
Waist - 34.75 in (flexed), 36.5in (relaxed)
Thigh - 24.75in (left), 25in (right)
Calf - 15in (left), 15in (right).

On 14 March my measurements were:-

Height - 5 foot 7inches
Weight - 168.3 pounds

Chest - 42.75 in (flexed), 41.25in (relaxed)
Bicep - 15.5in (left), 15.75in (right) (both flexed)
Waist - 34 in (flexed), 36in (relaxed)
Thigh - 24.25in (left), 24.5in (right)
Calf - 15in (left), 15in (right).

I will get some pics up later on in the day and I will also post my training log so you can all see what I have been doing.

I have been sticking with the diet no matter how hard it has been - and at times it has been pretty rough. The lack of sleep associated with having a newborn in the house has been a killer.

Anyway, my training has looked like this (Since I have been training for over 10 years I chose to undertake the advanced training program).

2 March workout 1

(20 reps, 30 seconds rest, heavy)

Bent-over Barbell row (143 lbs) 5, 5, 5, 5.
Overhead squat (88 lbs) 6, 6, 5, 3.
Dip (body weight) 7, 6, 5, 2
Ab-wheel rollout 5, 5, 5, 5,

I had some pain in my left elbow during this workout and found the weight for the overhead squat and the dips too light.

workout 2 - 4 March

(medium weight, 40 reps, 45 sec rest)

Pull-up (body weight)9, 5, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3.
Incline d/bell bench (50lb d/bells) 11, 8, 7, 6, 6, 2.
Romanian deadlifts (176lbs) 9, 8, 8, 6, 7, 2
Barbell curl (44lbs) 10, 10, 8, 6, 6.

The deadlifts and the curls were too light but not a bad workout.

Workout 3 - 6 March 2009

(weight heavy, reps 25, rest 30sec)

I changed front squats out for back squats. I have good form on squats and have never tried front squats before. I didn’t want my V-diet experience to be a learning ground for technique.

Squats (200lbs) 5, 5, 5, 5, 5.
Close grip bench press (155lbs) 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2
Chin-up (body weight) 6, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 1.
Push press barbell (110lbs) 5, 5, 5, 4, 3.

Very hard workout and my left elbow pain was back.

Head down and push through and the workout was done.

Workout 4

(heavy, 20 reps, 25 sec rest)

Barbell row (145 lbs) - 6, 5, 4, 3, 2

Overhead squat (110lbs) - 5, 5, 4, 3, 3

Dips (+22lbs) - 6, 4, 4, 3, 3.

The increased weight on the squats and dips made this workout especially challenging. It was a blast though!

Workout 6
(Medium, 40 reps, 40 sec rest)

I changed lat pulldowns in for pullups as I am just not able to perform very well with this lift considering my lack of sleep and low calories. I want the exercise to maintain its medium weight classification and my pullups last week read more like reps for a heavy work out.

Pulldowns (121 lbs) - 11, 8, 6, 6, 4, 5

Incline d/bell press (50 lbs) - 11, 9, 7, 6, 5, 2

Romanian deadlift (176 lbs) 10, 10, 10, 10

Barbell curl (55lbs) 10, 7, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3

workout 7

(heavy, 25 reps, 25 sec rest)

Squats (200 lbs) - 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3.

close-grip bench (155 lbs) 7, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2.

chin up (body weight) 7, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1.

b/bell push press (110lbs) 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 3.

the decreased rest is making the workouts very hard.

I am sweating heavily after only a set or two but am grinding through nonetheless.

workout 9
(heavy, 20 reps, 20 sec rest)

I performed this workout today (16 March 2009) at 6:00am.

Today is my first day back at work since the birth of my son on 28 Feb. I got to work at 4:30am this morning, did some work to catch up and then headed down to the gym when it opened at 6:00am. This is how the workout went:-

bent-over barbell row (145 lbs) - 5, 5, 5, 5.

overhead squat (110 lbs) 5, 5, 5, 5.

Dips (+22lbs) - 5, 4, 3, 4, 4.

ab-wheel rollouts - 5, 4, 3, 4, 4.

Notwithstanding my poor sleep last night and the early hour of the workout (I have had the last 2 weeks off work to stay at home with my wife and son and have been dropping the other 2 kids at school and then training at about 9:30am) I am surprised at how well I felt and how well the workout went.

Sweated profusely and was out of breath but pushed through.

How have I found the V-diet?

Well it has been easy not cooking food for myself but I have been cooking for the family so there is not much change there.

I finished up work on 27 Feb at a time when my trousers were getting really tight around my waist. I put them on this morning and the tightness was gone. They are not big on me yet but I expect that will come in the next 12 days.

My cravings have gone mostly and I have refused all alcohol, chips and chocolate during the diet.

I have broken 3 times - and each time it was to have 3-4 1/2 walnuts. Not a big break I know but still I am not happy with myself for doing it!

I am loving the training and the sweating and the daily NEPA walks. This has been dificult at times to fit in with the new baby at home and I have resorted to some midnight walks but I have never missed one!

Before the diet I was all over the place with my diet and training. Training was always strong, however, diet was not always great. There were weekly beer and chip binges and the kilos kept piling on.

Being over 80kg saw people telling me that I was looking big and stuff, but when I took my shirt off and saw the handles I knew that the big guy in the tight shirt was a lie.

I bought Chad’s book Huge In A Hurry and was into the Get Big program having trained through the Get Ready program.

Having imported the book to Australia I was pissed to stop the workouts to undertake the V-diet but when I was honest with myself and had a good long hard look in the mirror I knew that it was quite simply the right thing for me.

I look forward to getting back to Chad’s book after finishing the V-diet and his program I am following here. I am looking forward to training for size and when it comes knowign that it is lean mass and not just fat weight going on.

I am probably going to end up at around 70 kg (154lbs) when this is all over and this may seem a little small - but at 5 foot 7inches and with little body fat I will look good nekid.

I just want to thank Chris and Chad for putting together such a wonderful prpgram and making it freely available to everyone to use.

It is not a cheap exercise to undertake here in australia.

Metabolic Drive tubs are about $105.00ea (x9) = $945.00
Leucine is $90.00ea (x2) = $190.00
Superfood is $75.00 ea (x2) = $150.00
HOT-ROX (not even the extreme version is $100.00ea (x2) = $200.00
Surge recovery is $95.00

I have spent therefore $1,580.00 on Biotest supplements to undertake this chellenge.

Just another reason to keep on grinding through and not give up.

$1580? GOD DAMN!

As an Aussie that is what keeps me from trying the V-Diet. Good luck with it though mate, the inches seem to be coming off nicely.

Before pictures.

Don’t worry about the date - unfortunately not much has changed!

This is the best I have looked before

more

I just got back from my NEPA walk.

It’s raining here. I am drenched.

My wife told me I was mad (not in a toxic way but in a motherly way) - I told her I would be mad not to go.

Here is a pic I snapped today.

What do you think? Where will I be at in 12 days time?

[quote]eponymous wrote:
G’day everyone.

… Today is day 16 of the V-diet for me and my wife and I have a 16 day old baby at home. That’s right on 28 Feb Thomas was born at 9:33pm and then on the morning of 1 March I began the V-diet.

[/quote]

You are very courageous! I have 2 daughters (ages 4 and 7) and I can’t imagine doing this with a new born!!! The sleep deprivation was awful and I can’t imagine not eating. OUCH!

Your numbers are similar to mine. I’m 5’8" tall and my weight topped at 175 last week, but my daily average is about 172. I’m on day #3 and I’m down to 168 already. This is my 3rd time on the diet. This thing rocks! Hang in there!

BTW - congrats on your new addition!

Thanks for your sentiments scorpion.

Aren’t you the guy who tracked your V-diet and was quoted by Shugs? If so - thanks man for taking the time to comment on my effort.

Even if that’s not you - I appreciate you taking the time to read about my journey and for offering your support.

Cheers.

Day 17 today everyone.

Being back at work has really simplified things for me.

I am so very busy that I don’t even have time to worry about being hungry or anything. Just get down, do my work, have my shakes and head home.

NEPA walk this afternoon in the blazing sun. Makes a change from yesterday’s monsoon.

Gym tomorrow - can’t wait to smash it.

Cheers.

[quote]eponymous wrote:
Thanks for your sentiments scorpion.

Aren’t you the guy who tracked your V-diet and was quoted by Shugs? If so - thanks man for taking the time to comment on my effort.

Even if that’s not you - I appreciate you taking the time to read about my journey and for offering your support.

Cheers.[/quote]

That’s me! I’m starting my own blog today. Kudoes on your title - that’s what caught my eye!

It’s a huge help in venting to those who are interested and can relate, and to staying focused. This whole diet is such a great mental challenge … people don’t get that part of it at all. There’s a sense of satisfaction that come from being able to invoke this level of self control and reap the huge benefits!

GO AUSSIE!!

hey man. i actually had a couple of questions for you. i’ve been watchign the vdiet threads and i’m really interested but i don’t think i’m ready yet. i’m about your height (sitting at 66") and i’ve had trouble getting over 168lbs. I wanted to gain more weight before i started the diet so i’d be bigger overall after it is said and done.

I was wondering.

What are your long term goals? Do you want to look like you used to look in that one picture or just get a little unfat?

Also, do you remember any measurements from those old pictures? I like that look you have going and i was hoping that maybe you knew a weight, body fat percentage, or possibly some arm/leg measurements?

thanks man.

Hey PearS.

Mate what I want from this is to get rid of as much fat as I possibly can in 28 days. From a foundation of rapid weight loss I want to get even leaner than I was in the other pic.

In the pics where I look OK my measurements were pretty close to the following:-

Weight: 151.80lbs

Chest: 43in (tensed)

Bicep - left: 15.5in (tensed)
right: 15.5in (tensed)

Waist: 32 in (tensed), 34in (relaxed)

Thigh: 23.5in (left), 24in (right)

Calf: 15in (left), 15in (right)

Basically I want to get lean and then stay lean - see your abs lean.

I then want to put some more lean size on but don’t ever again want to be chubby.