Biotest

Amount of Sets?

I can easily see on the plan the REP count you are looking for, yet the sets on the outlines program have 12 boxes. Is that just for extra space if we need that many sets to reach our total REP count?

Im just making sure Im looking at this right and that I have it down before I start. I have read over the web page several times and it is just a bit cloudy to me. Thanks, Jeff

[quote]rubber09 wrote:
I can easily see on the plan the REP count you are looking for, yet the sets on the outlines program have 12 boxes. Is that just for extra space if we need that many sets to reach our total REP count?

Im just making sure Im looking at this right and that I have it down before I start. I have read over the web page several times and it is just a bit cloudy to me. Thanks, Jeff[/quote]

It’s just extra boxes. I’ve asked for these to be reduced to avoid confusion. Most people won’t need that many if they choose their loads correctly according to the rules.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I need the extra boxes. :slight_smile:

For the 40-rep workout in the advanced program, my sets will look something like this:

Sometimes even more sets, using all 12 boxes. Especially now that the rest times are getting shorter.

I wonder if I should be going lighter?

Results have been good, I think.

LeftNut, I would lighten the weight. When you get to the point where you could lift it 8 or 9 times to begin with and now are at 2 or even 1 rep, you are going to tax your CNS and it won’t benefit you any more than if you lifted a bit lighter. Sure, you might have to only split the last set into 2, but you still get the same amount of reps and your training is more intense.

I leave the ego at the door and judge the weights based on what I think I can do for the prescribed rep/set range. If I can get all of the reps/sets with good form and consistent speed, then up the weight. At least, that’s what Chad said.

[quote]Icarus wrote:
LeftNut, I would lighten the weight. When you get to the point where you could lift it 8 or 9 times to begin with and now are at 2 or even 1 rep, you are going to tax your CNS and it won’t benefit you any more than if you lifted a bit lighter. Sure, you might have to only split the last set into 2, but you still get the same amount of reps and your training is more intense.

I leave the ego at the door and judge the weights based on what I think I can do for the prescribed rep/set range. If I can get all of the reps/sets with good form and consistent speed, then up the weight. At least, that’s what Chad said. [/quote]

With all due respect, could you please quote your source for this? I have seen answers from Chad that would seem to contradict your advice.

For example, from the training Q&A thread:

Chad responds:

True, this is on a set of 20 and not 40. But that’s 8 sets for 20 reps.

And directly from the program text:

[quote]
Select a weight that allows you to hit the target repetitions on the first set of that exercise. You’ll probably do fewer reps on subsequent sets. Keep going until you hit the designated number, [b]no matter how many sets it takes.[/b][/quote]

(emphasis added)

It stands to reason that the 40-rep set may take 10 or 12 sets, especially when the rest periods decrease.

It would be great if Chad could step in here and clarify…Chad, you out there dude?

[quote]LeftNut wrote:
With all due respect, could you please quote your source for this? I have seen answers from Chad that would seem to contradict your advice.
[/quote]

Respect duly noted and right back at you. I will always admit when I am wrong.

This is from section 5 - Secrets to Velocity Training

That’s what I was going after and that was/is my mindset. Now, it can be interpreted that the number of sets doesn’t matter as long as the rep speed (whether its 9 or 1 rep) is the key. I am going for as many good, speedy reps per set for the total reps, not weight per rep - if that makes sense.

Hope that clears it up some. We are probably both right and arguing a very minute point in the grand scheme of things.