Biotest

Amit Sapir Log 2

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
Amit:

Congrats on your record - that is work!

I’m nowhere near your level, but your recent run at big squat numbers is coming at a time where I’m just getting back into the squat. I had left it for a few years since I’ve been in love with KB’s and deadlifts as of late. Now, I’m focusing again on the squat.

May I ask your advice?

A trainer friend of mine gave me this squat blitz (sorry for the long post). What do you think of this 21-day blitz program?

Cheers,
Muts

Using your recent 365lbs training max, here is the template for your upcoming 21-day blitz.

Week 1 - 3 days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Monday:Ã?Â
115 lbs (approx. 30% 1RM) - 3 reps, ISO hold in bottom position for 3 secondsÃ?Â
(Don?t cut this ISO hold time short to 1-2 seconds. Make the 3 seconds!)
165 lbs (45% 1RM) - 2 reps, ISO hold 2 seconds
205 lbs (55% 1RM) - 2 reps, ISO hold 2 seconds
245 lbs (65% 1RM) - 1 rep, ISO hold 1 second
275 lbs (75% 1RM) - 1 rep, normal speed (no hold)
300 lbs (80% 1RM) - 1 rep, normal speed
325 lbs (90% 1RM) - 1 rep, normal speed
Ã?Â
Back-off Sets:Ã?Â
265 lbs (first set is approx. 80% of your top set for this day) - 3 reps, C.A.T.Ã?Â
(Remember to accelerate the bar as hard as possible throughout the entire concentric ROM all the way till the end of your normal ROM)
270 lbs (add 5 - 10 lbs) - 3 reps, C.A.T.
275 lbs (add 5 - 10 lbs) - 3 reps, C.A.T.
Speed Sets:Ã?Â
205 lbs (approx. 55-60% of your top set for this day) - 5 repsÃ?Â
(Move the bar as fast as possible while maintaining proper positions)
205 lbs - 5 reps - same
After squatting, assess mobility needs and address those specifically.
Ã?Â
Perform one strength movement for 5x5 each day (M,W,F). E.G. Overhead press, vertical or horizontal row, any other of your choice just not deadlift, leg press or the like. These should be 8 out of 10 exertion.Ã?Â
Ã?Â
Wednesday and Friday are the same template. You can add 5-10lbs to your top squat set and to each back-off and speed set respectively.

Week 2 - 6 days (Monday - Saturday) Accumulation Week
Each day will be auto-regulated. You have to set a minimum weight that you will reach each day for your top set. Back-off and speed sets are based on what weight you hit for that top set each day.
Ã?Â
Example Day 1:
Top set 330lbs
Back off sets - you can do 1-3 of these starting at 270lbs. As long as your bar speed is good, do the 3 sets. If you are slow, just 1-2 triples.
Speed sets - you will decide. My first time through the blitz I rotated this way: Monday I did triples after the max. Tuesday I did no triples but did the speed sets of 5. Wednesday back to triples, Thursday I did the 5?s, Friday triples and 5?s, Saturday I would just go to the max.

During Week 2 Monday, Wednesday, Friday do your 5x5 with your strength move (Press, row, etc). Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday instead of the 5x5, do conditioning E.G. Farmer?s Walk or Tabata KB swings or Incline treadmill walk 10 mins 3.0 mph, 10 degrees incline.

NOTE: Don?t neglect mobility work as your body tells you what it needs!

Week 3 - 5 days (Monday - Friday) Peak Week
You will be undulating up and down into your peak effort session on Friday. It should look something like this:
Ã?Â
Monday:� Work to max of 320lbs - do back off triples and 5?s if you feel good. Triples would be at 255-260. 5?s would be 185-190.
Tuesday:� Work to max of 335lbs - adjust triples and 5?s accordingly.
Wednesday:� Work to max of 350lbs - adjust accordingly
Thursday:Ã? Work to max of 315lbs - adjustÃ?Â
Friday:� Work to new training max - goal is 385lbs. Perceived rate of exertion should be 9+. No back off sets - go celebrate your new max!

(Then 7 days off from squatting to allow body super compensate - focus on SG High Pull or Pressing - Then you will peak for a new max at 105 - 110%+ of prior max) [/quote]

Thanks for posting. It’s kind of hard to give you a good answer without knowing your training history. Just from taking a quick look it seems a little bit excessive both in terms of intensity and volume. If your training max is truly the numbers that you gave me I’d say going so close to your max 3x a week is overdoing it, it allow you enough time for recovery. Again, this is just an assumption as I do not know your training history and if your body is used to such high volume and intensity work. If this is something you haven’t done before I think jumping straight into it isn’t a good idea.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m not gonna lie - it seems pretty intense.

A couple of years ago, CT helped me take my deadlift from 500 to 625. I was training 6-7 days/week with no recovery problems. I still train 5-6 days per week. For me, it’s all about managing nervous system arousal levels, I.E. “not training on the nerve”, and total volume.

The 365 lbs squat is a recent training max. Not psyching up, no grinding. I would imagine that if someone offered me a million dollars I would be 400 or so right now. But, since that’s not on the table, I’ll settle for a training max to determine percentages.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
Amit:

Congrats on your record - that is work!

I’m nowhere near your level, but your recent run at big squat numbers is coming at a time where I’m just getting back into the squat. I had left it for a few years since I’ve been in love with KB’s and deadlifts as of late. Now, I’m focusing again on the squat.

May I ask your advice?

A trainer friend of mine gave me this squat blitz (sorry for the long post). What do you think of this 21-day blitz program?

Cheers,
Muts

Using your recent 365lbs training max, here is the template for your upcoming 21-day blitz.

Week 1 - 3 days (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
Monday:Ã??Ã?Â
115 lbs (approx. 30% 1RM) - 3 reps, ISO hold in bottom position for 3 secondsÃ??Ã?Â
(Don?t cut this ISO hold time short to 1-2 seconds. Make the 3 seconds!)
165 lbs (45% 1RM) - 2 reps, ISO hold 2 seconds
205 lbs (55% 1RM) - 2 reps, ISO hold 2 seconds
245 lbs (65% 1RM) - 1 rep, ISO hold 1 second
275 lbs (75% 1RM) - 1 rep, normal speed (no hold)
300 lbs (80% 1RM) - 1 rep, normal speed
325 lbs (90% 1RM) - 1 rep, normal speed
Ã??Ã?Â
Back-off Sets:Ã??Ã?Â
265 lbs (first set is approx. 80% of your top set for this day) - 3 reps, C.A.T.Ã??Ã?Â
(Remember to accelerate the bar as hard as possible throughout the entire concentric ROM all the way till the end of your normal ROM)
270 lbs (add 5 - 10 lbs) - 3 reps, C.A.T.
275 lbs (add 5 - 10 lbs) - 3 reps, C.A.T.
Speed Sets:Ã??Ã?Â
205 lbs (approx. 55-60% of your top set for this day) - 5 repsÃ??Ã?Â
(Move the bar as fast as possible while maintaining proper positions)
205 lbs - 5 reps - same
After squatting, assess mobility needs and address those specifically.
Ã??Ã?Â
Perform one strength movement for 5x5 each day (M,W,F). E.G. Overhead press, vertical or horizontal row, any other of your choice just not deadlift, leg press or the like. These should be 8 out of 10 exertion.Ã??Ã?Â
Ã??Ã?Â
Wednesday and Friday are the same template. You can add 5-10lbs to your top squat set and to each back-off and speed set respectively.

Week 2 - 6 days (Monday - Saturday) Accumulation Week
Each day will be auto-regulated. You have to set a minimum weight that you will reach each day for your top set. Back-off and speed sets are based on what weight you hit for that top set each day.
Ã??Ã?Â
Example Day 1:
Top set 330lbs
Back off sets - you can do 1-3 of these starting at 270lbs. As long as your bar speed is good, do the 3 sets. If you are slow, just 1-2 triples.
Speed sets - you will decide. My first time through the blitz I rotated this way: Monday I did triples after the max. Tuesday I did no triples but did the speed sets of 5. Wednesday back to triples, Thursday I did the 5?s, Friday triples and 5?s, Saturday I would just go to the max.

During Week 2 Monday, Wednesday, Friday do your 5x5 with your strength move (Press, row, etc). Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday instead of the 5x5, do conditioning E.G. Farmer?s Walk or Tabata KB swings or Incline treadmill walk 10 mins 3.0 mph, 10 degrees incline.

NOTE: Don?t neglect mobility work as your body tells you what it needs!

Week 3 - 5 days (Monday - Friday) Peak Week
You will be undulating up and down into your peak effort session on Friday. It should look something like this:
Ã??Ã?Â
Monday:�?� Work to max of 320lbs - do back off triples and 5?s if you feel good. Triples would be at 255-260. 5?s would be 185-190.
Tuesday:�?� Work to max of 335lbs - adjust triples and 5?s accordingly.
Wednesday:�?� Work to max of 350lbs - adjust accordingly
Thursday:Ã??Ã? Work to max of 315lbs - adjustÃ??Ã?Â
Friday:�?� Work to new training max - goal is 385lbs. Perceived rate of exertion should be 9+. No back off sets - go celebrate your new max!

(Then 7 days off from squatting to allow body super compensate - focus on SG High Pull or Pressing - Then you will peak for a new max at 105 - 110%+ of prior max) [/quote]

Thanks for posting. It’s kind of hard to give you a good answer without knowing your training history. Just from taking a quick look it seems a little bit excessive both in terms of intensity and volume. If your training max is truly the numbers that you gave me I’d say going so close to your max 3x a week is overdoing it, it allow you enough time for recovery. Again, this is just an assumption as I do not know your training history and if your body is used to such high volume and intensity work. If this is something you haven’t done before I think jumping straight into it isn’t a good idea.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m not gonna lie - it seems pretty intense.

A couple of years ago, CT helped me take my deadlift from 500 to 625. I was training 6-7 days/week with no recovery problems. I still train 5-6 days per week. For me, it’s all about managing nervous system arousal levels, I.E. “not training on the nerve”, and total volume.

The 365 lbs squat is a recent training max. Not psyching up, no grinding. I would imagine that if someone offered me a million dollars I would be 400 or so right now. But, since that’s not on the table, I’ll settle for a training max to determine percentages.

[/quote]

Ok, if it’s not your actual max that’s better. If you believe that you don’t have any recovery issues then training 5-6 days a week is fine. As long as your periworkout nutrition is on point, you are getting adequate rest and feeling recovered then you might be able to get away with it. Although I would probably still decrease the volume by a little bit in each session. Give it a try and if you feel like you’re overdoing it then you can back off.

If this doesn’t work for you then you can always try something else. There are a lot of great programs available here on T-Nation to suit any goal.

O_O

One of the strongest guys on the planet uses pink dumbbells!! Is that the secret??

Squat Day

AM
Low bar competition squat
375 x 5
465 x 5
565 x 5
645 x 4/3/3/4 (4 sets)
*im trying to improve my neural adaption to get used to dealing with heavier loads so it’s not such a shock to the nervous system every time I’m going under heavy weights. So I’ve started measuring my bar speed (with a push unit) and once my bar speed drops more than 10% I stop doing sets there.

Yoke bar pause squat
3 second pause
5 sets x 4 reps at 525lbs

PM
Leg extension
4 sets x 15-20 reps

Exercise ball hamstring curls
4 sets x 15 reps (2 with 2 legs, 2 with 1 leg)

Stiff leg dumbbell deadlift (single leg)
3 sets x 12-15reps

Yoke bar lunges
2 sets x 8-10reps

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
O_O

One of the strongest guys on the planet uses pink dumbbells!! Is that the secret??[/quote]

Lol, my 1 and 3 year old boys are deadlifting with those! 8lb pink dumbells are key for toddler success!

These make me feel very manly… But really they are great for rotator cuff warm ups.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
O_O

One of the strongest guys on the planet uses pink dumbbells!! Is that the secret??[/quote]

You made my day with this post… Priceless. Now I’m in a good mood. I think I’ll go downstairs and warm up for bench press with them right now!

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
O_O

Lol, my 1 and 3 year old boys are deadlifting with those! 8lb pink dumbells are key for toddler success!

These make me feel very manly… But really they are great for rotator cuff warm ups.[/quote]

Ha! Those boys of yours will be setting records of their own in no time I’m sure.

What are your thoughts on the Push unit? How valuable a training resource do you think it is?

Hello Amit!

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or your coaching forum, I hope this is fine! :slight_smile:

I’m finishing my fat loss diet in few weeks and after that I’m very gradually going to introduce more carbs and overall calories back into my diet. Propably approx. 300 kcal per week. The reason I’m doing this is because I used to have a habit of going nuts with food intake after cuts and thus turning back into a fat bastard almost immediately.

I’d really like to start your Strong Bodybuilder program after my cut. I like long workouts and really torturing myself at the gym! However considering how demanding the program seems to be, do you think it’s smarter to wait a few weeks when my calories are bumped up properly to start the program? Or could I start it immediately after my cut, despite still having somewhat low calories for the first few weeks? Obviously I’d like to start it immediately, but I’d like to know what is the smartest approach here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: If you have better solution in mind than these two options, I’d obviously love to hear it!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
O_O

These make me feel very manly… But really they are great for rotator cuff warm ups.[/quote]

Ha! Those boys of yours will be setting records of their own in no time I’m sure.

What are your thoughts on the Push unit? How valuable a training resource do you think it is? [/quote]

I just got it in the mail a few days ago so i’ve been playing around with it and trying to learn it. I don’t have a solid review yet. I think for the price it’s a decent tool to use if you’re training with an emphasis on strength and explosive power. It takes a lot of the guess work out and gives you another parameter to use when deciding how great of a set you just had and to decide where to go from there. It’s also a good way to track your workouts to see how you perform on one day compared the next. I’ll give you a better review once I have used it more.

I’m not good with any of this technology stuff… I just get Bron to put on the band and do it for me so she’ll probably have better feedback.

[quote]Evander wrote:
Hello Amit!

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or your coaching forum, I hope this is fine! :slight_smile:

I’m finishing my fat loss diet in few weeks and after that I’m very gradually going to introduce more carbs and overall calories back into my diet. Propably approx. 300 kcal per week. The reason I’m doing this is because I used to have a habit of going nuts with food intake after cuts and thus turning back into a fat bastard almost immediately.

I’d really like to start your Strong Bodybuilder program after my cut. I like long workouts and really torturing myself at the gym! However considering how demanding the program seems to be, do you think it’s smarter to wait a few weeks when my calories are bumped up properly to start the program? Or could I start it immediately after my cut, despite still having somewhat low calories for the first few weeks? Obviously I’d like to start it immediately, but I’d like to know what is the smartest approach here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: If you have better solution in mind than these two options, I’d obviously love to hear it![/quote]

I don’t think there’s an issue with starting right away but you will have to increase your intraworkout nutrition. This program can work great for gaining or cutting, the only difference would be what you’re doing with your nutrition. When you’re consuming Plazma there’s literally no way you can gain fat from if your training properly and with this program you will be. Even if your diet is relatively low in calories you will be fine to start the program if you keep periworkout nutrition on track.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about the program. You can post any questions here or training forum.

Back
AM
Bent over barbell rows
5 sets x 12/10/8/6/15

1 arm barbell rows
4 sets x 8-10reps

Rope pullovers
3 sets x 15 reps

PM
Chin ups
3 sets x 10-12 reps

• using various grips

Wide grip pulldowns
3 sets x 15/12/10

1 arm side pulldown
3 sets x 12â??15 reps

2 arm Hangs - 3 sets to failure

Abs - hanging leg raises 3 sets x 15 reps

Thank you, Amit!

I will start the program immediately after finishing my cut, thanks to your reassuring advice. I’ll add a hefty amount of periworkout nutrition right away and rest of the calories more gradually.

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
O_O

What are your thoughts on the Push unit? How valuable a training resource do you think it is? [/quote]

I just got it in the mail a few days ago so i’ve been playing around with it and trying to learn it. I don’t have a solid review yet. I think for the price it’s a decent tool to use if you’re training with an emphasis on strength and explosive power. It takes a lot of the guess work out and gives you another parameter to use when deciding how great of a set you just had and to decide where to go from there. It’s also a good way to track your workouts to see how you perform on one day compared the next. I’ll give you a better review once I have used it more.

I’m not good with any of this technology stuff… I just get Bron to put on the band and do it for me so she’ll probably have better feedback.[/quote]

Cool, I’m definitely interested in your thoughts after some more use. I’ve been eyeing it since before it was released. I wasn’t sure if the price was worth it for a regular gym rat like me. Strength and power are pretty much why I train though (general health too I suppose) so I thought it might be useful anyway.

[quote]Evander wrote:
Thank you, Amit!

I will start the program immediately after finishing my cut, thanks to your reassuring advice. I’ll add a hefty amount of periworkout nutrition right away and rest of the calories more gradually.[/quote]

Sounds good, let me know how it goes.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
O_O

I’m not good with any of this technology stuff… I just get Bron to put on the band and do it for me so she’ll probably have better feedback.[/quote]

Cool, I’m definitely interested in your thoughts after some more use. I’ve been eyeing it since before it was released. I wasn’t sure if the price was worth it for a regular gym rat like me. Strength and power are pretty much why I train though (general health too I suppose) so I thought it might be useful anyway. [/quote]

After using it for only a week I would say it’s a good tool to have to keep you more organized and let you have a better perspective of where you’re at in your training. It’s a good investment to make if you are serious about training, I would say any intermediate to advanced lifter can benefit from this.

AM
Competition Pause Bench Press
5 sets x 5 reps
1 set x 3 reps @ 90%
*my arm didn’t feel so great today so I had to cut the workout short

Close Grip Bench Press
4 sets x 4 reps

PM
Superset 1: 3 sets x 12-15 reps each
1 arm grenade Pushdown
&
1 arm grenade extension

Close Grip Push-ups On Bench
3 sets to failure

1 arm overhead dumbbell extension
3 sets x 12-15 reps

Outside for a little bit of morning cardio :slight_smile:

Squat Day

AM
Low bar competition squat
615 x4
665 x 3 (5 sets)

Yoke bar pause squat
*3 second pause
5 sets x 5 reps @ 525lbs

PM
Exercise ball hamstring curls
2 sets x 15 (2 legs)
2 sets x 8-10 (single leg)

Glute ham raise (weighted)
4 sets x 8-12 reps
*increase weight every set

1 leg dumbbell stiff leg deadlift

Abs: 3 sets x 20 reps (weighted crunches)

10 min stretching

BACK

Bent over barbell rows
4 sets x 8-10 reps

Chin ups
3 sets x 8-10 reps
*switching grip each set

Machine rows
3 sets x 12-15reps
*switch grips every set. Pronated, supinated, neutral.

Stiff leg deadlifts
3 sets x 6 reps

Hangs to failure - 3 sets on fat bar.