Biotest

American Sniper Redux - Supplement Schedule

I have purchased the supplements used by actor, Bradley Cooper, in preparation for his role in “American Sniper.” See the bottom of the following article.

He basically packs on 40 lbs in 10 weeks. I am 5’6" and weigh 130. I want to gain around 20-25 lbs of lean muscle. I’ve been working out consistently for 2 years. My workouts are CrossFit based, but more recently strength focused a la 5x5 StrongLifts and now adding more specific high-rep strength sets.

I want to modify the American Sniper workout and supplement schedule detailed in the above article to fit someone who cannot work out twice a day (because I’m not a millionaire actor) but wants to achieve the same goal over a greater period. With that, what would the recommended supplement schedule be for a man working out once a day, 5-6 days a week, usually in the afternoon.

Thanks,
Bryan

start with the basics.

How’s the diet? You will need to eat a shit load.

Plazma. One scoop prior, 1-2 scoop during.

MAG-10. Follow label. One or two portions a day.

Micro-PA. Follow label.

Indigo-3G. Follow label.

the above is the order you follow, depending on your budget. ie: you will get better results with Plazma alone then Micro-PA alone.

And in case it is not apparent, diet. That comes before all supplements.

[quote]JFG wrote:
start with the basics.

How’s the diet? You will need to eat a shit load.

And in case it is not apparent, diet. That comes before all supplements.[/quote]

JFG:

Thanks for the feedback. My diet is crazy. I’m consuming an average of 4500 cal per day. And, as a small guy, I’m effing miserable. I try to make sure that I’m eating “right” i.e. good carbs, good fats, high protein etc., but to consume that many calories makes it even harder. I’ve eaten so many eggs and chickens that I’m starting to grow feathers.

After I first posted I found the recommended schedule on Plazma and MAG-10 on the site and it makes sense.

Bryan

[quote]hixbc wrote:
I want to modify the American Sniper workout and supplement schedule detailed in the above article to fit someone who cannot work out twice a day (because I’m not a millionaire actor) but wants to achieve the same goal over a greater period.[/quote]
So you want to take a program that delivered X results, change the training and the nutrition and the supplements, and still hope to achieve X results. Um, I don’t have a good feeling about this.

You said your goal was to build 20-25 pounds of muscle. Great start. Dedicated eating and hard, smart training can totally get you there. But there’s no rush and seriously no reason to try to get it done in minimal time.

That said, it’s not uncommon for underweight guys to put on 30 solid pounds in two or three months with a serious committed plan. Smart targeted nutrition like Micro-PA and Plazma should make it even more efficient, as long as it’s on top of good nutrition and a well-designed training plan.

[quote]
more recently strength focused a la 5x5 StrongLifts and now adding more specific high-rep strength sets.
[…]
working out once a day, 5-6 days a week[/quote]
What does your actual weekly routine look like? That days, exercises, sets, and reps. I can’t see how you’re doing “Stronglifts” 5 or 6 days a week since I’m pretty sure that’s not how it’s designed. There are tons of great programs on the site you could follow exactly, instead of trying to tweak one that really isn’t the best fit for the job.

[quote]I am 5’6" and weigh 130
[…]
I’m consuming an average of 4500 cal per day.[/quote]
What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

I’m totally not calling bullshit on your calorie intake, but if your body really does need that giant amount, then you may be able to make some adjustments to what you’re actually eating in order to further optimize things. Trying to eat “too clean” (yes, that’s a thing) is a problem some guys actually fall into.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

So you want to take a program that delivered X results, change the training and the nutrition and the supplements, and still hope to achieve X results. Um, I don’t have a good feeling about this.

You said your goal was to build 20-25 pounds of muscle. Great start. Dedicated eating and hard, smart training can totally get you there. But there’s no rush and seriously no reason to try to get it done in minimal time. [/quote]

I should have been more clear. I want to achieve the 20-25 pound gains, but I’m not looking to do it too quick. There’s no rush and no deadline.

I agree. 5x5 is what I started with. I don’t have access to all the equipment used by Cooper. Basically everyday consists of a lot of back squats and then some combination of bench, dead lift, bent-over rows, weighted dips and pull-ups, push press, shoulder press, shrugs, etc. heavy weights, usually 10 reps 5 times. I have a coach who’s now designed a plan.

I use digital scales and MyFitnessPal app to track my calorie consumption.
Yesterday:
Breakfast: 4 fried eggs, 4 slices of thick cooked bacon, fried potatoes, one slice of wheat toast, coffee with cream and sugar.
Snack: MAG-10 Pulse and Nuts.
Lunch: Logan’s Road House, Caesar Salad, 6 oz. chicken breast, loaded baked sweet potato.
Snack: MAG-10 Pulse and Finibar.
Post workout: MAG-10 Pulse
Dinner: 8 oz. grilled chicken, lima beans, pasta, 2 cups whole milk.

I missed by 541 cal yesterday totaling only 3959. 4500 is the average over the prior week.

I also had recommended doses of Plazma before and during workout.

I had Dr. friend perform a BIA and it was calculated that I need over 3000 just to maintain my current weight with my activity level.

[quote]hixbc wrote:
I use digital scales and MyFitnessPal app to track my calorie consumption.
[…]
I missed by 541 cal yesterday totaling only 3959. 4500 is the average over the prior week.[/quote]
Sounds like you’ve got a handle on it then. As long as you’re consistent and accurate with logging the food, stick with it. But do be aware, like we just saw, a lot of the time guys will unknowingly miss their target calories day after day and then wonder why the size isn’t showing up.

As long as your weekly averages are legit, keep going. And if the scale doesn’t move even if the calories are on point, it’s a math game and you’ve got to find a way to bump them up a bit higher.

Sounds like you’ve got the supplement side pretty much dialed in. Mag-10 and Finibar pre-training; Plaza pre- and during; Mag-10 post. As long as your trainer has you on a good program that pushes you, and you keep up with the food, you should be set.