Biotest

Am I Not Working Hard Enough?


#1

I just finished my first Velocity workout, but I am not worn out like I thought I would be. The 5 reps I did for each set of bent rows were hard, but not bad. How hard should I be struggling to get rep 4 or 5? Also, I did the overhead squat with the Smith machine against the training advice because that’s all I had available. I couldn’t do it well because it’s just not conducive to overhead squats and it killed my wrists. The dips were tough just using my bodyweight–took me 5 sets to get all 20-- but the ab rollout wasn’t bad. As a matter of fact, I did 1 set of 20. I tried getting up on my toes as the training suggested, but I couldn’t do it at all.

I really really want to succeed at this, so am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to go up on my weight?

By the way, next Monday I am going to use the weight room at the high school where I teach so that I can do the overhead squats correctly.

And thanks for answering my questions so promptly. I feel like I am asking too many!


#2

The key is to make sure you’re following the set-rep guidelines AND the rest period guidelines. All that can be found here:

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-training/secrets-to-velocity-training

The mistake most people make (besides resting too much) is in choosing their weights. Remember, the first set determines the weight. So if it calls for medium reps, 8-9, that’s how many you get in the first set. Choose a load where you can get at least that but can’t get more than that. Rep #9 should be very tough.

Then, you rest only 45 seconds (using beginner program as an example here) and do another set. You probably won’t get 9 again. By the time you reach 40 total reps, you may only be getting 1 or 2. If you’re still getting 8-9 reps you went way too light.

Also, remember to lift fast. Curl, for example, as fast as you can, even if the weight makes it seem like it’s moving slowly. Strain.

Hope that helps.


#3

[quote]blissteach wrote:
I just finished my first Velocity workout, but I am not worn out like I thought I would be. The 5 reps I did for each set of bent rows were hard, but not bad. How hard should I be struggling to get rep 4 or 5? Also, I did the overhead squat with the Smith machine against the training advice because that’s all I had available. I couldn’t do it well because it’s just not conducive to overhead squats and it killed my wrists. The dips were tough just using my bodyweight–took me 5 sets to get all 20-- but the ab rollout wasn’t bad. As a matter of fact, I did 1 set of 20. I tried getting up on my toes as the training suggested, but I couldn’t do it at all.

I really really want to succeed at this, so am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to go up on my weight?

By the way, next Monday I am going to use the weight room at the high school where I teach so that I can do the overhead squats correctly.

And thanks for answering my questions so promptly. I feel like I am asking too many![/quote]

I think you are going too light on the weight. You said that the dips were tough because it took you 5 sets to do all 20. Remember, the weight you select should be your 4-5 rep max. Assuming you stick to the rest period, you should not be fully recovered to do 4-5 for sets 2 and 3 and so on.
For example, I did my weighted body dips with 65#. My sets looked something like this:
Set 1: 4
Set 2: 3
Set 3: 3
Set 4: 3
Set 5: 2
Set 6: 2
Set 7: 1
Set 8: 1
Set 9: 1

If you ever find yourself getting through to your goal # of reps without your # of reps per set going down, that means you aren’t using enough weight. Also, remember, don’t grind out the reps, as soon as you start to slow down considerably, you stop, wait your rest period, and move onto the next set.


#4

So, Hockeydawg, what do you do with the ab rollouts? I tried doing them on my toes, but I can’t maintain the balance!

Also, I am going to go up subtantially on my weight next week. I was doing 105 lbs for the bent row and was able to get 5 reps without much problem. The 30-sec. rest was plenty for me. Next week will be different, I guanrantee that! I am going to really push myself on the weight.


#5

[quote]blissteach wrote:
So, Hockeydawg, what do you do with the ab rollouts? I tried doing them on my toes, but I can’t maintain the balance!
.[/quote]

Perform from knees. Remember, there’s a video of how to every exercise.


#6

I meant that it was easy to get all 20 reps in one set, but that I couldn’t do it on my toes to increase the difficulty.


#7

[quote]blissteach wrote:
I meant that it was easy to get all 20 reps in one set, but that I couldn’t do it on my toes to increase the difficulty.[/quote]

Wow, that’s awesome then!

I think Coach Waterbury has suggested that if you’re good at them, do two sets to failure (or near failure) instead.


#8

[quote]blissteach wrote:
So, Hockeydawg, what do you do with the ab rollouts? I tried doing them on my toes, but I can’t maintain the balance!

Also, I am going to go up subtantially on my weight next week. I was doing 105 lbs for the bent row and was able to get 5 reps without much problem. The 30-sec. rest was plenty for me. Next week will be different, I guanrantee that! I am going to really push myself on the weight.[/quote]

I do rollouts from my knees and do sets to failure. For hand walkouts (on workouts that called for them) I did them from my toes, and those were much more difficult for me than the rollouts.


#9

Did the Wednesday workout today. It wasn’t too bad. I think I need to increase my weight and/or lift faster. I was busting out 9 reps with each set despite using more weight than I ever have–80 on lat pulldowns, 135 on RDLs, 50 on bicep curls. I know this is sort of a “test” week for me since it’s my first one on the diet. I am big on pushing myself.


#10

[quote]blissteach wrote:
Did the Wednesday workout today. It wasn’t too bad. I think I need to increase my weight and/or lift faster. I was busting out 9 reps with each set despite using more weight than I ever have–80 on lat pulldowns, 135 on RDLs, 50 on bicep curls. I know this is sort of a “test” week for me since it’s my first one on the diet. I am big on pushing myself.[/quote]

You’re right, it takes a few workouts to figure everything out.

That said, if you can get 9 reps every set, then something is off: 1) not enough weight 2) resting too much between sets 3) tempo off. Probably #1.