Biotest

Almost 30

Hi all, my name is Nick and I’m starting day one of the V-Diet. I’m sitting here trying to down my first shake and hoping that I can make the conversion to an all liquid diet. I have to say that this first shake is pretty rough, especially after enjoying a last meal at Morton’s Steakhouse last night.

Anyway, a little about myself. I’ve been lifting fairly regularly for several years. Going through the same ups and downs as a lot of us. Going strong for several months at a time, only to slack off equally. This last year has been very interesting. I started training early last year and doing a lot of cardio/running hoping to participate in the Men’s Health urbanathlon only to wind up working the weekend of the event.

But I had also just finished grad school, quit my old job, and started my own company so I needed the work. Regardless, the training really helped me cut weight, but at the expense of a lot of my strength as well. Finally taking the advice of a friend, I spent the last few months following a tmuscle program “Combination Training Ã?¢?? For The Best Of Both Worlds” by Mike Mahler. The program definitely helped me bring the muscle back and I was impressed with the strength gains, but my diet suffered as my weight ballooned back from 220 to 250.

First shake down, this is going to be rough, and the flaxseed doesn’t help too much… Following it with a cup of black coffee to cut the taste… I hope these get better and think I saw some interesting mix recipes in other threads.

I’m about a month away from my 30th birthday and made a commitment to myself to complete the V-Diet. Now 30 years in, I can say that throughout my workouts, even though I’ve seen myself in good shape, I can’t say that I’ve ever been in great shape. I’ve always maintained a healthy coverage of body fat and have never seen those elusive abs. Sure I’ve seen them trying to peek out, but the curtain has never been fully pulled back. I’m hoping that this transformation can help me break the barrier and help me change my diet permanently.

I’ve never kept an online log/blog before or posted online, but hope to keep an accurate account of this journey. To start, here are my day one stats:

Height: 6_3
Weight: 248 lbs
Neck: 16.5
Shoulders: 52.75
Chest Upper: 44.75
Chest Lower: 42
Waist at Navel: 41.75
Waist at largest: 42
Hips at largest: 45
Upper Arm L: 16
Upper Arm R: 16.25
Upper Leg L: 28.5
Upper Leg R: 28.5
Lower Leg L: 17
Lower Leg R: 16.75
Ankle L: 10
Ankle R: 10

I’ve taken some pictures, and will upload them soon. Thanks to all those that have shared their logs and experiences as you are great motivators and helped me make this choice. To those following mine, I hope it equally inspires you.

Best of luck Nick! I’m gonna follow this log to make sure you follow through!

Pictures - day 0

Now on day two, I can say that things are starting to get a bit easier. I think the idea of even being on the diet made things harder. For instance, when you can smell someone else’s food as you walk by or sit down with your shake, it reminds you that you are sacrificing. But hopefully there is comfort in knowing that there is another goal that you are working towards. We’ll see…

With regards to the shakes, fortunately you have enough during the day that you’re never really spending more than 2-3 hours between meals. But the temptation is still there.

Anyway, I’m getting ready to head out for workout number one. I’ll try to give an update a bit later.

[quote]dan81 wrote:
Best of luck Nick! I’m gonna follow this log to make sure you follow through![/quote]

Dan, thanks for the encouragement. It looks like you’re well on your way already.

All right, workout one is in the books. And is it just me or does the chocolate recovery shake actually taste a little better than the regular shake?

Anyway, I definitely noticed the difference with the 30 second rest. When you’re used to a 1-2 min break, 30 seconds seem to fly by. And stopping when you start to struggle is definitely a change from trying to push out those last couple lifts. The workout flew by and I managed to add in a NEPA walk following my shake. Hopefully combining the walk with my workout is an ok cool down and won’t do too much damage.

Here’s the damage:

Front Squat 185 lbs x 5,3,3,3,2,2,2
Lat Pulldown 180 lbs x 5,5,5,3,2
Dumbell Bench Press 75 lbs x 5,4,3,4,3,1
Ab Wheel Rollout BW x 5,5,5,5

A couple notes on this workout. The whole thing was not so much draining as it put me out of breath with the pace. I screwed up the Lat Pulldown with the wrong grip (overhand vs underhand) but think I’ll switch to chin-ups next time around since that is right in my normal RM range for my body weight (BW). I screwed up my third set on the bench coming down to fast and getting stuck with my left arm. I think I need to control that a bit more on the way down instead of thowing the weight like a mad man. Finally I’m not sure about my approach to the ab rollout. For those that have done it before, should I just got ahead and power all the way through or break it down in smaller sets as I did. I could do more, but am uncertain as to the specific goal since I don’t see an option to adjust weight for the ab rollout. COMMENTS WELCOME.

Yes the short rest periods kick your ass the first few workouts. Wait til you try the V-burn hehe. But your conditioning will rapidly improve. I’ve just started the transition when the rest periods ‘reset’ back to 45secs, and it feels like a long rest period. Keep at it!

Thanks Dan.

Mental note and advice: although I actually like the Strawberry flavor, pause before using it in a meal with the flaxseed…

‘Good management’ ngarufi - (would wish you good luck but luck is useless with this).

Yep the Surge is definitely better tasting!! Truly something to savour.

Tell you what guys… Day 3 was a swift kick in the butt and wake up call. I’m not sure why, but I was actually pretty sore from my first workout and just seemed to be dragging all day. Meals went down pretty smoothly, but by dinner time I was pretty much starving as I was about 4 hours since my last shake. I had left the house for a bit without a shake and expected to be back in plenty of time to grab my next one.

Mental note, prep your next shake and take it with you. You can always find water to add to it wherever you are, but if you don’t have the mix, you’re out of luck.

Now on Day 4 I’m just as sore, but looking forward to the workout, as I find a good workout sometimes knocks out the soreness. And as Chooky said, I’m looking forward to the next surge shake!

Challenge tonight… I play in a pool league with some guys I’ve worked with and our matches are always at a bar. I’m telling you all that I won’t be drinking hoping that will actually keep me from doing so. The few that I have discussed the diet with think a drink will be the one to drag me off the wagon. I hope to prove them wrong.

Similarly, in a week and a half I’m heading to Atlantic City, NJ with my family and cousin who just celebrated his 21st birthday. Hopefully I’m not setting myself up to fail but providing an opportunity to demonstrate my resolve. We’ll see

[quote]ngarufi wrote:
Thanks Dan.

Mental note and advice: although I actually like the Strawberry flavor, pause before using it in a meal with the flaxseed…[/quote]

I actually like strawberry + flax - it was usually my dinner shake 9/10 times. Banana + flax was my morning shake. I dislike chocolate + flax the most, though it’s not that bad that I have to force myself to eat it. Chocolate + peanut butter blended with ice as the last shake of the day is the shizzle!

Yep - always carry dry powder with you! I keep a little tub with some powder and a scoop and my shaker bottle in my backpack. Preparation ftw!

All right guys, I’m in need of some encouragement on this one. Finished my second workout earlier today and it was definitely a shot in the gut. I’ll explain in a minute, but here’s the results:

Reverse Lunge 50 lbs dumbells x 9,8,6,5,5,4,3
Bent Over Row 145 lbs x 9,7,6,5,5,4,4
Push Press 115 lbs x 9,6,6,5,5,4,3,2
Barbell Curl 55 lbs x 9,7,5,4,3,3,3,3,3
Reverse Crunch BW x 9,9,9,9,4

Anyway, I nearly lost it with the lunges which kicked my butt. Being used to doing deep full squats 2-4 at a time with a long rest, I was surprised how fast I wore out with the short rest. But that wasn’t the bad part. Once I finished the lunges, I’m not sure what happened. It started with a tickle in the back of my throat and I couldn’t stop coughing. Coughing is too lite, more like hacking up my lungs. Problem was I couldn’t stop and it took me about 15 min before I could start my next exercise. I know that I felt funny, and the only thing that I can think of was I had taken a HOT-ROX about an hour before and hadn’t had a shake in between. With my heart racing quite a bit, it reminded me of a similar experience with Hydroxycut several years ago.

For those with a weak stomach, do not read on****

As if running to the bathroom hacking up a lung wasn’t bad enough, I wound up on the toilet learning the undiscussed secrets of the Vdiet. I’m not sure why it took me 4 days to experience that one but I’m not the fan. Prep for a colonoscopy was worse (another experience I can do without), but real treat was the smell. This is where I will stop now…

Anyway, having transition from lunges to rows, I tried to regroup. The rows went fine although I’m still trying to get used to the short rest and doing the exercises at 100 miles per hour. The Push Press was a big diappointment. Having been a fan of military presses, it was depressing to see how exhausted and weak I was and wound up dropping way down from what I felt was a comfortable weight, chalking my first set up to a warm-up.

Anyway, the rest of the workout went fairly well, but just left me with a bad impression. I know everyone says that things get better and it’s amazing how fast your body adapts, I just hope to see it happen soon to break this funk!

Dan81, Thanks for the suggestions. I’m still trying to get a feel for my favorite recipes. I’m a fan of both vanilla and chocolate. Strawberry I like, but it kinda picks up that cream flavor. Same with the banana.

You’re right though, they all go down a bit better when blended with ice!!!

[quote]ngarufi wrote:
All right guys, I’m in need of some encouragement on this one. Finished my second workout earlier today and it was definitely a shot in the gut. I’ll explain in a minute, but here’s the results:

Reverse Lunge 50 lbs dumbells x 9,8,6,5,5,4,3
Bent Over Row 145 lbs x 9,7,6,5,5,4,4
Push Press 115 lbs x 9,6,6,5,5,4,3,2
Barbell Curl 55 lbs x 9,7,5,4,3,3,3,3,3
Reverse Crunch BW x 9,9,9,9,4

Anyway, I nearly lost it with the lunges which kicked my butt. Being used to doing deep full squats 2-4 at a time with a long rest, I was surprised how fast I wore out with the short rest. But that wasn’t the bad part. Once I finished the lunges, I’m not sure what happened. It started with a tickle in the back of my throat and I couldn’t stop coughing. Coughing is too lite, more like hacking up my lungs. Problem was I couldn’t stop and it took me about 15 min before I could start my next exercise. I know that I felt funny, and the only thing that I can think of was I had taken a HOT-ROX about an hour before and hadn’t had a shake in between. With my heart racing quite a bit, it reminded me of a similar experience with Hydroxycut several years ago.

For those with a weak stomach, do not read on****

As if running to the bathroom hacking up a lung wasn’t bad enough, I wound up on the toilet learning the undiscussed secrets of the Vdiet. I’m not sure why it took me 4 days to experience that one but I’m not the fan. Prep for a colonoscopy was worse (another experience I can do without), but real treat was the smell. This is where I will stop now…

Anyway, having transition from lunges to rows, I tried to regroup. The rows went fine although I’m still trying to get used to the short rest and doing the exercises at 100 miles per hour. The Push Press was a big diappointment. Having been a fan of military presses, it was depressing to see how exhausted and weak I was and wound up dropping way down from what I felt was a comfortable weight, chalking my first set up to a warm-up.

Anyway, the rest of the workout went fairly well, but just left me with a bad impression. I know everyone says that things get better and it’s amazing how fast your body adapts, I just hope to see it happen soon to break this funk![/quote]
I’m glad to see you doing this log. When you told me about it though, I did not expect you to write out such a detailed analysis of each workout. Awesome!

[quote]ngarufi wrote:
Dan81, Thanks for the suggestions. I’m still trying to get a feel for my favorite recipes. I’m a fan of both vanilla and chocolate. Strawberry I like, but it kinda picks up that cream flavor. Same with the banana.

You’re right though, they all go down a bit better when blended with ice!!![/quote]

If you haven’t got any already, grab yourself some ground cinnamon.

banana MD + sprinkle of cinnamon = liquid banana bread

Don’t be afraid to mix flavours together. Vanilla + X = creamy X

For the workouts, the first week is the worst. Your conditioning WILL improve. Just look at the V-burn times of nearly everyone who has done this and not quit early - week over week times improve not by seconds but by multiple minutes. My first V-burn was 26mins (I didn’t log it since I actually did it the week before I started the V-Diet cos that was a ‘feel’ week). My time is now under 16mins.

The elevated heart rates really accelerates your fat loss. Prepare some Surge and sip it along with water of course during your workout to keep energy levels up.

Thanks Dan, you’re always reliable for the pick me up. I’ll definitely try the cinnamon, but only have a little bit of banana left as I only got one tub…

All right guys… a catch up from the last couple days.

Thursday, day 5, was ok. Shakes went down ok, with not too much trouble. For my NEPA, I did a Muay Thai class that really kicked my ass.

Friday, day 6, workout #3 results:

Deadlift 225 lbs x 9,6,5,4,4,4,3,3,2
Decline DB Press 75 lbs dumbells x 9,7,6,4,3,3,3,3,2
Lat Pull down 160 lbs x 9,8,6,5,4,4,4
Hand Walkout BW x 9,9,6,7,6,3

The workout went pretty well, or at least as well as they can. I’m still dragging my feet between transitioning exercises but am pretty rigorous at sticking to the time between sets. The walk-outs felt pretty odd, but I guess I was on the right track.

The hardest part of the day was poker night at a friends house. Everyone sitting around drinking and eating, and me sipping water. A croc pot of sloppy joes smelled absolutely awesome.

But today has two benefits. Day 7, I’ve got my first HSM set up and I’m looking forwart to it. Still debating fish or steak, but either way, I’m eating real food!!!

Dan, Kudos on the cinnamon & banana. Just had it.

[quote]ngarufi wrote:
Dan, Kudos on the cinnamon & banana. Just had it. [/quote]

I’ve only recently discovered spices myself hehe. They certainly make the world a better place!