Biotest

Almond Flour Bread

i tried aking almond bread this morning, it turned out rather bad. hard, dense and not nearly as delicious looking as yours Chris.

well, i ate it with low fat cheese, cucumber and a proteinshake. not the workt breakfast i’ve ever had.
(safe to say since some of my mornings has been coke and a snickers)

next up, the almond/coconut cookies.

[quote]Rob_153 wrote:
dayyymn dude. How’d you get yours to puff up that much? I made a loaf a while back and it turned out to be the size and length of biscotti. Not that it tasted bad or anything. Just tiny.[/quote]

The first time I tried the bread it came out as you described. It could have been from using 1 egg too little or me being too lazy to look for the attachments for the electric hand blender. Both errors were corrected the second time around. I used an additional egg and used a few egg whites to keep calories down. I used the blender until the mixture resembled cake batter.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cake batter

Just had a fat boy moment.

the bread that failed…
[photo]32309[/photo]

the cookies that was approved by me and my 9yrs old son =)
[photo]32310[/photo]

Would yeast or xanthum gum help here? Would they impact the “healthfulness” of the bread?

[quote]Chaos6060 wrote:
Would yeast or xanthum gum help here? Would they impact the “healthfulness” of the bread?[/quote]

Haven’t tried those myself. They’d be fine health-wise if they worked.

Hey chris I have a couple questions…I am someone who is imo extremely insulin insensetive. This becomes a problem when entering the last leg of a diet or trying increase carbs during a lean gain (im on lg right now), I believe ur idea that almond flour is the way to go and i am in the process of switching the majority of my carbs to almond flour bread…(once I get the damn loaf to rise so I can cut it into slices lol)…so my first question was with this new healthier carb source would I be able to eat more carbs/kcals without the risk of increase in fat gain.

Would I also be able eat the carbs more frequently in the day…(currently I only have carbs for meal 1 pre workout and post)( and on no-liftdays restrict carbs to meal 1)

Also the bread rising q, if I were to sub yeast in for baking powder what do u think would be the correct amount for your a bread recipe?

@Chaos: Almond flour isn’t really a carb source. It pretty low in carbs, particularly if you subtract fiber from total carb count.

And don’t forget overall calories. That plays a role too. Almond flour isn’t low in calories.

But yes, macros matter, and getting rid of craps carbs like cereal grain flour is always a good step.

As for rising, remember that it’s gluten free – it’s never going to rise like regular bread or have the exact same texture.

Well the taste is phenom…but still having trouble getting it to rise…used 2 eggs and subd whites in for the third…I also used yeast but I don’t think it activated…I was thinking on ways to volumize the bread…

When using the yeast is there a way to activate it without the sugar water…maybe in almond milk?

Also what if one where to seperate the egg yolks and whites and then beat the whites until peaked (oopsie roll style)…havnt tried this but it stands to reason that this coupled with working yeast should yeild a pretty hefty loaf

[quote]Chaos6060 wrote:
Well the taste is phenom…but still having trouble getting it to rise…used 2 eggs and subd whites in for the third…I also used yeast but I don’t think it activated…I was thinking on ways to volumize the bread…

When using the yeast is there a way to activate it without the sugar water…maybe in almond milk?

Also what if one where to seperate the egg yolks and whites and then beat the whites until peaked (oopsie roll style)…havnt tried this but it stands to reason that this coupled with working yeast should yeild a pretty hefty loaf[/quote]

Yeast only works with sugar/starch. The lil yeast organisms eat the sugar and break it down into ethanol(which evaporates) and carbon dioxide (which causes the raising). So yeast wouldn’t really work with this. Now if you knew exactly how much sugar a certain amount of yeast organisms could consume in a certain amount of time, then I guess, theoretically, you could only add in enough sugar to get the rising effect. The yeast would consume all the sugar so there wouldn’t be any left in it to affect you.

That seems like a lot of work for a bread substitute for me.

One probably stupid question but I just can’t figure it out:
Due to the high fat (even if its good fat) almonds got 570 kcal/100g.
Whereas wholegrain bread just got about 215 kcal/100g (even if its from grain and all the bad stuff). How can this work if your not planning to do portioncontrol?

[quote]timboo wrote:
One probably stupid question but I just can’t figure it out:
Due to the high fat (even if its good fat) almonds got 570 kcal/100g.
Whereas wholegrain bread just got about 215 kcal/100g (even if its from grain and all the bad stuff). How can this work if your not planning to do portioncontrol?[/quote]

Autoregulation, no insulin spikes, no decreased insulin sensitivity etc etc etc…

Long story short: all calories are not created equal.

I understand…for me I would use it for special occasions like the pumpkin cake for holidays

Has anyone attempted making a banana bread with this recipe? I tried just adding in a few bananas and it didn’t work out very well haha.

[quote]Chaos6060 wrote:
Would yeast or xanthum gum help here? Would they impact the “healthfulness” of the bread?[/quote]

I have added xantham gum to meine, while it is ticker than Chris’s pictures it is far from being as nice as @marshmac.

Well let me start by saying that, hands down, the Healthy Solid Meals forum is one of my favorites here on TMuscle. As you will notice, though, I tend to float around and soak up as much information I can as opposed to actually posting.

That being said, I simply couldn’t resist the opportunity for my first post to be in this thread after my most recent experiment with the almond flour bread. Yesterday was the first day of me trying the MAG-10 Pulse-Fast (it went pretty good too) and it also happened to be the first day I decided to venture into the realm of almond flour experimentation. I followed this recipe to the letter (or so I thought at the time) and my loaf turned out great. In fact, it rose quite nice and looked a lot more like an actual loaf of bread than I was expecting.

My wife did the MAG-10 pulse-fast with me yesterday as well and we were both very much looking forward to including the “bread” in our re-feed. She got to her re-feed sooner than I did and promptly called me to inform me about the bread and that I should keep water nearby. I laughed and told her that I had read about it being dense and people often needing to accompany it with healthy doses of liquid. I was rapidly informed that it wasn’t the density but rather the saltiness of it.

A bit confused I suggested that maybe it was somehow related to me substituting regular sea salt for the pink sea salt (though I doubted that to be the case) but said I would check the recipe as well. Well when I checked the recipe I came to find out that my food deprived brain had somehow turned 1/2 tsp of salt and baking soda into 1/2 cup of salt and baking soda. I could not stop laughing at the mistake and my wife’s comparison of eating the bread to “eating the ocean”.

So here I sit with a useless loaf (not every mistake is edible Chris lol!) and I’m out some expensive almond flour (damn Whole Foods). Of course the only cure is for me to buy more almond flour and try it again with a fully functioning, non-pulse-fasted brain.

Oh and thanks for all the recipes Chris. You truly do a wonderful job with this forum!

Oh man, sensespanic, that sucks!

I’ve seen bigger mistakes though. One guy didn’t dig around for his little scooper in his Superfood, so he ASSumed it was the same size as a protein powder scooper, thus consuming something like 20 servings at once. He wrote us complaining about the taste and servings size. face palm

Tip: Get your almond flour online in 5 pounds bags and you’ll save a ton.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Oh man, sensespanic, that sucks!

I’ve seen bigger mistakes though. One guy didn’t dig around for his little scooper in his Superfood, so he ASSumed it was the same size as a protein powder scooper, thus consuming something like 20 servings at once. He wrote us complaining about the taste and servings size. face palm

Tip: Get your almond flour online in 5 pounds bags and you’ll save a ton.

[/quote]

Lol well I don’t feel quite as bad then though I do feel a double face palm was much deserved this morning. Mine was no ASSumption but a massive brain fart in the purest sense. I have my wife to thank for sparing me the agony of discovering my mistake myself and being completely disgusted by it.

Thanks for the tip too! I fully intend on buying the Honeyville Almond Flour but was WAY to impatient to wait for it to come in before trying this and therefore caved to the high prices of the local Whole Foods. I already bought all the ingredients necessary to try the numerous other almond flour delicacies you have posted about!

I’m going to give this thread a well deserved bump by posting this:

It’s simply a comparison of Bob?s Red Mill and Honeyville brand blanched flours based on average grain size.

Also I have come to the conclusion that this site needs a ‘like’ or ‘karma’ function for posts. Get the dev guys right on that Chris. (I’m sure they have actually talked about this already)

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It is so much better than other “bread” alternative options I’ve tried. I will try doubling the recipe to get a bigger slice of bread next time, but it really was great. I’m new to the forum and wanted to know how to find more of your recipes.

Hi Chris,

Apparently this is an old posts, just wanted to come in and thank you for this recipe. I made this last night and I’m very happy with the end results. It is very tasty and satisfying.