Biotest

Almond Flour Bread

Hey Chris i just tried making this and it didnt rise at all followed all the directions to a T! any ideas? by the way made the flat bread and it was amazing got the whole family hooked!!

[quote]oopsb13 wrote:
Hey Chris i just tried making this and it didnt rise at all followed all the directions to a T! any ideas? by the way made the flat bread and it was amazing got the whole family hooked!!
[/quote]

It doesn’t rise much, and it’s denser than grain flour bread. So, it may have worked. How’d it taste?

it tatsed fine but it was about the size of a biscotti i wanted it for samiches!!! Im thinkink of making a sweet cinn flat bread.Let you know how that goes!

[quote]oopsb13 wrote:
it tatsed fine but it was about the size of a biscotti i wanted it for samiches!!! Im thinkink of making a sweet cinn flat bread.Let you know how that goes!
[/quote]

You may just need a bigger loaf pan. If so, double the recipe and add some cooking time.

I’ve made this twice. Love it! I also made the tomato soup and butternut pie today. All amazing! My house smelt really good.

My first ever attempt is in the oven as I type! Cant wait to try it out!

I only have a few differences to the original since its harder to get some ingredients over here in Ireland.

Almond flour is nowhere to be found and even almond meal works out at about 20dollars a pound (my conversions might be off but its damn expensive!) so i bought a pound of almonds for 12 dollars or so and just used a blender to grind em up.

Dont think we can get splenda over here either so i had to go with regular old sugar which is all I had on hand.

Still, its rising nicely and looks good enough to eat. Fingers crossed it is!

Just curious, how much are you guys paying for a lb of almond flour?

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
Just curious, how much are you guys paying for a lb of almond flour?[/quote]

I pay 5 to 6 bucks buying in bulk online for blanched, and using a discount code when available. I get mine from here: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx

Hey Chris I haven’t yet bought the ingredients for the bread so I was wondering how many carbs does a slice contain?

[quote]Jonathan4 wrote:
Hey Chris I haven’t yet bought the ingredients for the bread so I was wondering how many carbs does a slice contain?[/quote]

No clue, but it’s minimal, and contains quite a lot of fiber.

Thank you!

Chris, not sure if this has been asked on this thread already or not (if it has please forgive my ineptness) but two questions with this:

1. How different is it in texture to the flax bread recipe that is also on this site?

2. What do you think could substitute the splenda in this recipe as I really don’t like artificial sweetners and refuse to use sugar?

[quote]jibbsy7 wrote:
Chris, not sure if this has been asked on this thread already or not (if it has please forgive my ineptness) but two questions with this:

1. How different is it in texture to the flax bread recipe that is also on this site?

2. What do you think could substitute the splenda in this recipe as I really don’t like artificial sweetners and refuse to use sugar?[/quote]

3. It’s better, in my opinion. Less dry. Without gluten we’ll never get that true, chewy bread mouthfeel, but this is not bad at all.

4. You’re SOL. Some folks use honey, but most store-bought honey is crap and it’s all sugar anyway, even the “real” stuff. I love Splenda.

Can you make this bread in a bread maker?

[quote]ALeb wrote:
Can you make this bread in a bread maker?[/quote]

That’s a good question. I don’t think you can, but I haven’t researched it.

Have you tried the flax bread recipe, but just subbing out the almond flour instead? If so, how does it compare to this recipe?

Hey Chris,

Didn’t want to start a whole new thread about this, but have you (or anyone else reading for that matter) ever made a rue with almond flour?

In case you aren’t aware, a rue is a thickener you make out of melted butter and flour. This can be added to thicken stews, mac and cheese, soufle, yadda yadda.

Just had an idea to maybe make a “faux mac and cheese” using spaghetti squash and said rue I’m inquiring about.

Anyone have any ideas?

[quote]Rob_153 wrote:
Hey Chris,

Didn’t want to start a whole new thread about this, but have you (or anyone else reading for that matter) ever made a rue with almond flour?

In case you aren’t aware, a rue is a thickener you make out of melted butter and flour. This can be added to thicken stews, mac and cheese, soufle, yadda yadda.

Just had an idea to maybe make a “faux mac and cheese” using spaghetti squash and said rue I’m inquiring about.

Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]

I’ve been thinking about that myself, but I haven’t tried it yet. With some classic bad-for-ya foods, you need the gluten and carbs to get the recipe to “work” right. Not sure if that’s the case here, but it’s worth trying. I was thinking about making a gravy as well in this manner, subbing almond flour for white cereal flour. Same for egg fu yung.

If you try it, let us know how it goes!

lets call this banana-almond bread

3 cups of almond flour
1.5 scoops of banana flavored Metabolic Drive
4 whole eggs
2 egg whites
everything else as Chris mentioned.

dayyymn dude. How’d you get yours to puff up that much? I made a loaf a while back and it turned out to be the size and length of biscotti. Not that it tasted bad or anything. Just tiny.