Biotest

Almond Flour Bread

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]duodie wrote:
i read on ze internet that ,for every egg you want to substitute you can use either 2 1/2 of ground flaxseeds with 3tbsp of water or one small medium banana and egg.

Good if you wan to drop the calories even more and the banana would give it a sweet taste! [/quote]

If I were really watching the carbs, I’d much rather have the extra egg than a banana. I think that tip was left over from the “all dietary fat is bad” era. But if you want to drop calories and volumize, try two egg whites for every whole egg. It’s not that the fat in eggs is bad, but this can lower calories if you need that. Works well for most baking applications. [/quote]

I like that,way better than the other substitute i read about!

[quote]badbrass wrote:
Hey, Chris! What about quinoa? It’s a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds. It’s a pseudocereal rather than a true cereal, or grain – it’s not a member of the grass family – closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. It supposedly can be use as flour for wheat-free baking and is high in protein. Ever tried baking with it? I may give it a go myself.[/quote]

I’ve eaten it as an oatmeal or rice replacement. See my recipe called “Inca Warrior Breakfast” at T-Nation. I’m not too crazy about it though, but never tried it for baking. Hard to try something different now that I’ve found something as perfect as almond flour.

But if you give it a shot, let us know how it worked out! [/quote]

A very credible cornbread based on your almond bread recipe.

1 Cup quinoa flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon Splenda
1/3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
about 1/3 Cup water

Preheat oven to 300 F.
Combine the flour, soda and salt in a bowl.
Add eggs, Splenda, vinegar.
Hand mixer until reasonably smooth, pour into small loaf pan.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Next time, I’ll try soaking the quinoa until soft before mixing in the other ingredients and try for a smoother texture.

I do have to agree – the almond flour is perfect, but so expensive. We’re both in the Dallas area. Where do you get yours?

[quote]badbrass wrote:

A very credible cornbread based on your almond bread recipe.

1 Cup quinoa flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon Splenda
1/3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
about 1/3 Cup water

Preheat oven to 300 F.
Combine the flour, soda and salt in a bowl.
Add eggs, Splenda, vinegar.
Hand mixer until reasonably smooth, pour into small loaf pan.
Bake for 40 minutes.

Next time, I’ll try soaking the quinoa until soft before mixing in the other ingredients and try for a smoother texture.

I do have to agree – the almond flour is perfect, but so expensive. We’re both in the Dallas area. Where do you get yours?[/quote]

Holy crap, that looks great! I may have to give quinoa another shot, in flour form at least.

Almond flour is pricey, so I order it in bulk from Honeyville: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/blanchedalmondflour5lb.aspx Beats by-the-pound prices at the health food store. I get 10 pounds at a time. Just got a shipment in today actually.

Chris,

What is the consistency of the “dough” supposed to be? should i be able to actually “pour” it into the loaf pan or should it be more like a big glob?
because I tried making it and it was reallllly thick and felt like i did something wrong, Should I be adding any water?

Thanks for your response or anyone else who can help

[quote]ddelmast wrote:
Chris,

What is the consistency of the “dough” supposed to be? should i be able to actually “pour” it into the loaf pan or should it be more like a big glob?
because I tried making it and it was reallllly thick and felt like i did something wrong, Should I be adding any water?

Thanks for your response or anyone else who can help[/quote]

Usually, it’s a big glob, so you’re probably on the right track!

azzah!i got one baking right now,
using less cause im making less;
-1cup blanched almond
-1/2 ground flax
-1/3 of a big banana diced
-1/2 canned pumpkin
-one egg
-1/3 cup egg white
-about the same measurement fo baking soda,salt and splenda

pic to come!

Thanks guys for sharing these recepies. Can’t wait to start baking some. with my wife being Gluten Free, rice flour/pasta, Quenoa, Almond flour (also bouth by the case) are prety much staples here but I have one question remaining.

Do you also cut the rice pasta as well?

The only bread we have in the house is Hezekiel but after reading theses posts I will drop that too. I actually look forward to be bread free as this is really where it hits me because everytime I eat out I don’t inforce my house rules so wheat toast and eggs, sandwiches, burgers, noddles, pasta etc so

[quote]ice_breaker wrote:
Thanks guys for sharing these recepies. Can’t wait to start baking some. with my wife being Gluten Free, rice flour/pasta, Quenoa, Almond flour (also bouth by the case) are prety much staples here but I have one question remaining.

Do you also cut the rice pasta as well?

The only bread we have in the house is Hezekiel but after reading theses posts I will drop that too. I actually look forward to be bread free as this is really where it hits me because everytime I eat out I don’t inforce my house rules so wheat toast and eggs, sandwiches, burgers, noddles, pasta etc so [/quote]

I’ve never used rice-based pasta, and I’ve never looked at the macros. But for rice in general, well, it’s a grain, and grains generally don’t do a body good. At the very least, I’d limit it.

grains.pasta…no go for FFB in general!

What can be used at a substitute for pasta? Rice?

[quote]texis300 wrote:
What can be used at a substitute for pasta? Rice? [/quote]

Spaghetti squash is great. I also use eggplant to replace lasagna noodles.

Some people use quinoa in place of rice, but there’s argument there about whether it’s a seed (good) or a grain (not so good). Does seem a little carby, but coaches like Charles Poliquin recommend it in place of oatmeal and rice. Here’s a recipe of mine for it on page 3 of this article:

Here’s the link: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/8_more_power_foods&cr=

[center] [/center]

[quote]texis300 wrote:
What can be used at a substitute for pasta? Rice? [/quote]

Actually you should be able to find QUINOA pasta in good health food store.

Rice pasta does have protein in it but only 14gr per cooked cup but 43g of carbs…and Quinoa not muc better. It os 71% carb and 15% Protein

hmm!

Almond bread toast.

And mini tuna fish sandwiches on sesame almond bread. (Just dump a ton of toasted sesame seeds into it, then sprinkle more on top before baking.)

Just some of my latest almond bread experiments.

Chris sesame seeds just for flavour, or are they good fats or fibre or anything important like that?

[quote]nateschmidt24 wrote:
Chris sesame seeds just for flavour, or are they good fats or fibre or anything important like that?[/quote]

All of the above!

sweet i’ll have to add them to my vlife arsenal

And mini tuna fish sandwiches on sesame almond bread. (Just dump a ton of toasted sesame seeds into it, then sprinkle more on top before baking.)

Just some of my latest almond bread experiments. [/quote]

Carrot sticks I say! Carrot sticks!

Made about 5 loaves of almond bread thus far that turned out great every time. My favorite way to eat it is toasting it throwing some natty pb on it and some slices of banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I’m going to start trying new variations; the chocolate version looked awesome.

Also I buy my almond flour at Henry’s in bulk for 4.50lb

One more thing, Chris you don’t happen to know the macros and cals for an average sized loaf of the original recipe.

thanks mar

[quote]Mar73 wrote:
Made about 5 loaves of almond bread thus far that turned out great every time. My favorite way to eat it is toasting it throwing some natty pb on it and some slices of banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I’m going to start trying new variations; the chocolate version looked awesome.

Also I buy my almond flour at Henry’s in bulk for 4.50lb

One more thing, Chris you don’t happen to know the macros and cals for an average sized loaf of the original recipe.

thanks mar[/quote]

Sounds great!

I haven’t figured up the macros yet. I’m always dinking with the recipe so it’s always changing. These things aren’t exactly low calorie, just lower in carbs and made of healthier, more physique-supportive ingredients.