Biotest

Almond Flour Bread


#41

How about a recipe for almond flour pancakes? I freaking love bread and if I have better almond related variants, the more likely I can give it up.


#42

That’s already been posted. http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/guiltinducing_pancakes


#43

Nice. I didn’t find it when I did a recipe search.


#44

Bob’s is what we used, but I’m going to be ordering online from now on. Not because of the quality, but because of the price.

Had a few slivers of the loaf with a glass of almond milk for breakfast and brought the rest of the loaf along with a small container of sugar-free strawberry preserves and natural PB for lunch.


#45

So, is the blanched almond flour the most versatile, as opposed to almond flour made with the skins on?


#46

[quote]ViziVix wrote:
So, is the blanched almond flour the most versatile, as opposed to almond flour made with the skins on?[/quote]

It seems to be. And recipes tend to come out better with blanched. And although this doesn’t really matter to me, foods will look better with blanched as apposed to brown and speckled with unblanched. That could be important if you’re trying to “fool” a spouse or child into eating a healthier pancake or muffin.


#47

Chris,

Does quinoa (sp) still get a pass, or is considered more grain than nut?

Thanks


#48

My mom called me while I was at work just to tell me she made bread this morning from a mix and threw it out because the taste was so overpowering and artificial compared to the almond flour bread. That’s amazing, coming from a woman who almost always has some sort of dessert bread or treat in her fridge.


#49

[quote]sanshin wrote:
Chris,

Does quinoa (sp) still get a pass, or is considered more grain than nut?

Thanks[/quote]

It’s called a grain, even the “mother grain”, but it’s actually a seed if I’m not mistaken.

I eat it sometimes, but not often.


#50

[quote]BrickCallahan wrote:
My mom called me while I was at work just to tell me she made bread this morning from a mix and threw it out because the taste was so overpowering and artificial compared to the almond flour bread. That’s amazing, coming from a woman who almost always has some sort of dessert bread or treat in her fridge.[/quote]

Wow, that’s great news!

I may be making a sweet chocolate bread soon. I’ll post the recipe if that works out.


#51

[quote]Reid23 wrote:
So I tried making this bread today & I ran into a little trouble. I followed the recipe exactly & use blanched Honeyville almond flour. However, the bread did not rise at all. [/quote]

Maybe the baking soda lost its potency. How long had it been open?


#52

PS- Even though my bread came out biscotti style/ super tiny, I actually ate a piece with my HSM last night and realized it is REALLY TASTY. Tonight…Tiny PBJ!! (with approved jelly & nut butter, of course)

Thanks for all your great tips, Chris!


#53

[quote]ViziVix wrote:

[quote]Reid23 wrote:
So I tried making this bread today & I ran into a little trouble. I followed the recipe exactly & use blanched Honeyville almond flour. However, the bread did not rise at all. [/quote]

Maybe the baking soda lost its potency. How long had it been open?[/quote]

Hmmm… I opened my baking soda about a week and 1/2 ago although I did zip-lock it. Is that bad???


#54

It should have been fine! If it had been a year, then that might have explained it. Well, this is a puzzler. Any bakers out there?


#55

So I tossed in some Splenda, some coconut oil, some unsweetened coconut flakes, a little unsweetened cocoa powder, and whatever random packages of nuts I had laying around. The result is…

…well, cake.

Looks like the Shugarts are having chocolate cake for dessert for several days. It’s a tough life being a diet 'n fitness expert.


#56

Whoa. Please post a recipe.


#57

[quote]BrickCallahan wrote:
Whoa. Please post a recipe. [/quote]

I don’t have one. I just took the bread recipe and went monkey-nuts random in the kitchen…


#58

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/7/0/70745_ORIG-DSCN1553.jpg

…then I pickled grapes.


#59

…and made healthy popsicles.


#60

wow…that is a lot to take in… my brain is stuck on the pickled grapes :slight_smile:

so, regarding this cake- definitely making that. i made cupcakes a couple weeks ago for part of an hsm on my husband’s b-day. the recipe was from elanaspantry.com (coconut cupcakes w/ key lime icing) and turned out great. I used a combo of almond & coconut flour and replaced the agave nectar w/ splenda. i made the key lime icing w/ lime zest, a little cream & splenda. the icing had a good taste but was like a cool whip texture. so this weekend I’m planning on making cupcakes w/ a small amount of cream cheese based icing. i think i can get away with fat free cream cheese, splenda & some vanilla extract. I’m gonna try making the cake part with the almond bread recipe and doctor it up a little bit like the chocolate version above. we’ll see how it goes…

Edit- Tried chocolate almond flour cupcakes w/ cream cheese icing- very good! Icing recipe: 1/2 cup FF cream cheese, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup artificial sweetener (to taste), whisk by hand. I doubled the recipe to cover 1 batch of cupcakes.