Biotest

Almond Flour Bread


#1

[center]Eat Bread. This Bread. [/center]
If I’m approached by someone asking for fat loss advice, and I know they’re not ready for the <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet yet, I always give them one simple challenge:

“Stop eating bread. And that means sandwich bread, pita bread, tortillas, flat bread, whole grain bread, muffins, and dinner rolls.”

I can always tell how addicted and dependent they are on bread by the looks on their faces. The more shocked the looks, the more breadophile they are. Some people just don’t seem to know how to eat if there’s not a bread product involved.

As we discussed on the <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/indexVelocity.jsp"target=“new”>LiveSpill last week, living the Velocity Life – lean, muscular, athletic, and healthy – involves eventually ditching the bad carbs. With bread, the transition can either be “cold turkey” or look something like this:

Bad: White bread and flour products
Better: Whole-grain bread
Good: Ezekiel bread or low-carb tortillas
Best: No bread, or homemade almond flour and flax bread only

The choice is up to you. But I’ve recently developed a bread recipe that should make jumping all the way to “best” really painless. Basically, it’s bread made out of almond flour, which isn’t really flour at all, just finely ground almond. Check out the basic recipe:

[center]Chris’s Almond Flour Bread [/center]

2.5 cups of blanched almond flour (blanched means that the skins have been removed)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pink sea salt
3 omega-3 enriched whole eggs
1 tablespoon Splenda or Truvia
1/3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

  1. Combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
  2. Add eggs, Splenda, and vinegar.
  3. Use a hand mixer and mix until smooth.
  4. Pour into a standard loaf pan (about 8 x 3 x 2, but anything works).
  5. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.

Variations:

With the basic recipe above, you can take this bread just about anywhere. In the pic you see above, I added tons of toasted sesame seeds. Nuts or sunflower seeds will work too. Add more Splenda for more of a dessert bread.

Here’s how I ate most of my last loaf: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

I used sugar-free preserves instead of jelly and tahini (sesame seed butter) instead of PB.

Great with a big glass of almond milk or an icy <a href="https://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_store"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive shake. Have it as part of your V-Diet HSM, or just make it a staple of your lean 'n mean Velocity Life. Enjoy! – Chris


#2

Ah Tahini, a staple in Egypt i love the stuff! Nice with chicken and beef aswell! Shame i can’t get almond flour or sugar free jam… oh well.


#3

nice! imma use this tomorrow and make a healthy burger!


#4

[quote]duodie wrote:
nice! imma use this tomorrow and make a healthy burger! [/quote]

You’ll notice that this “bread” is more dense. The flavor is a little different too obviously, but it actually doesn’t taste “almond-y” as you may expect. I’ve used it for beef brisket sandwiches, breakfast toast, and of course modified PB & J’s! So, sweet or savory applications work very well.

FYI, you can buy a dedicated loaf pan if you want. I’ll be picking up a silicone version soon. Right now I use either a glass one I got for meatloaf or disposable foil pans, as seen here. Either will work. Heck, even a cast iron pan will do the trick.


#5

Keep these coming, Chris. All of these almond flour recipes are really making it difficult to justify bready treats.

Any chance of a raisin bread-type recipe? My family has this obsession with raisin bread, so I thought it’d be interesting to try something like that with almond flour.


#6

[quote]BrickCallahan wrote:
Keep these coming, Chris. All of these almond flour recipes are really making it difficult to justify bready treats.

Any chance of a raisin bread-type recipe? My family has this obsession with raisin bread, so I thought it’d be interesting to try something like that with almond flour.[/quote]

Should be simple. Add raisins and double or triple the sweetener.

Also, look up my old zucchini bread recipe at T-Nation. I think it was in an article of mine on volumizing. Replace the whole grain flour with almond flour and that should work.


#7

The PBJ looks fantastic, too. That’s actually something I miss more than pasta or fries. I used to love getting a loaf of wheat bread, sugar-free preserves (actually used to get the exact kind pictured above), and natural PB, and going to town.

Unfortunately, they weren’t really filling, so I’d end up eating two or maybe even three in the span of a day. Those carbs add up. It’ll be interesting to get my beloved PBJ sandwiches back with this recipe.


#8

just realized…i keep writing ‘im’ stead of ‘am’… am loosing my frenglish!


#9

You’re not a fan of PB?


#10

This is awesome! Could I conceivably use this same recipe in the shape of a pizza crust and make a healthy version of the best food ever?

What (if any) adjustments would need to be made?


#11

Looking at your loaf reminds me of how much I love banana bread.
Definitely going to give this a shot.


#12

Nevermind to my question, I see where you talked about it in another thread. Sounds like time to experiment!


#13

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You’re not a fan of PB?[/quote]

There are many who believe that peanuts are the “worst” of the nuts, health wise, partially because they’re not even technically nuts, but rather a legumes i.e. beans. And beans, according to some diet experts and “Paleo” types, should be avoided or minimized.

I’m not quite that strict (just never known of anyone getting fat on beans before) but peanut butter can be problematic. For one, it’s calorically dense. And I love it too, so it’s easy for me to overeat it. I always get natural PB of course, but still, it’s best for me to keep it out of the house. I do cook with it sometimes though. Here’s a cool recipe for the pic above: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/a_dead_chicken_and_a_pan

I do agree that there are better nut choices out there: almonds, walnuts, macadamias, etc.


#14

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You’re not a fan of PB?[/quote]

There are many who believe that peanuts are the “worst” of the nuts, health wise, partially because they’re not even technically nuts, but rather a legumes i.e. beans. And beans, according to some diet experts and “Paleo” types, should be avoided or minimized.

I’m not quite that strict (just never known of anyone getting fat on beans before) but peanut butter can be problematic. For one, it’s calorically dense. And I love it too, so it’s easy for me to overeat it. I always get natural PB of course, but still, it’s best for me to keep it out of the house. I do cook with it sometimes though. Here’s a cool recipe for the pic above: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/a_dead_chicken_and_a_pan

I do agree that there are better nut choices out there: almonds, walnuts, macadamias, etc. [/quote]

Interesting. I have to cut PB out as a fat source when dieting because it will stall my fat loss. But when bulking…

I love this product called Power Butter (heard about it from MightyStu)

Natty PB with flax oil, egg whites and a small bit of honey and Wheat germ added.


#15

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You’re not a fan of PB?[/quote]

There are many who believe that peanuts are the “worst” of the nuts, health wise, partially because they’re not even technically nuts, but rather a legumes i.e. beans. And beans, according to some diet experts and “Paleo” types, should be avoided or minimized.

I’m not quite that strict (just never known of anyone getting fat on beans before) but peanut butter can be problematic. For one, it’s calorically dense. And I love it too, so it’s easy for me to overeat it. I always get natural PB of course, but still, it’s best for me to keep it out of the house. I do cook with it sometimes though. Here’s a cool recipe for the pic above: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/a_dead_chicken_and_a_pan

I do agree that there are better nut choices out there: almonds, walnuts, macadamias, etc. [/quote]

Interesting. I have to cut PB out as a fat source when dieting because it will stall my fat loss. But when bulking…

I love this product called Power Butter (heard about it from MightyStu)

Natty PB with flax oil, egg whites and a small bit of honey and Wheat germ added.

[/quote]

Not bad stuff, kinda pricey, easy enough to make yourself too… without the extra sugar (honey). Still, not bad. I make my own olive oil based PB. Maybe I’ll toss the recipe up sometime.


#16

Oh my Lord, thank you. Now I can give my daughter her PB & J without feeling guilty about the bread part. Going to try this on Sunday my next HSM day. I’m thinking chicken breast, avocado, roasted red peppers sandwich…damn it’s only Monday…


#17

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
Oh my Lord, thank you. Now I can give my daughter her PB & J without feeling guilty about the bread part. Going to try this on Sunday my next HSM day. I’m thinking chicken breast, avocado, roasted red peppers sandwich…damn it’s only Monday…[/quote]

Keep in mind that this makes small slices. See pic. I suppose you could double the recipe and use a bigger loaf pan, but I haven’t tried it. Would probably need more cooking time then, but the toothpick trick should help you judge doneness. (Insert toothpick or knife, if it comes out fairly clean, it’s done.)

Or just do what I do and eat multiple mini-sammiches!


#18

How long did the loaf last you? I came up with around 1700 calories for the entire thing (estimate). In hindsight, that’s actually not so bad if you manage to eat quarter of the loaf but it’s hard to judge how big it is.


#19

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:
How long did the loaf last you? I came up with around 1700 calories for the entire thing (estimate). In hindsight, that’s actually not so bad if you manage to eat quarter of the loaf but it’s hard to judge how big it is. [/quote]

First, remember that “a calorie is not a calorie” no matter what the overweight dietitians like to say. Think more in macronutrients, quality of food, and foods suited to what humans have evolved to thrive on, and your body comp will thank you. It’s about so much more than calories in vs. calories out. (Had to toss that in when I saw ya counting calories, something I haven’t done in years since I woke up to the “calorie is not a calorie” idea.)

How long will the bread last? Like, when does it go bad? Or “how long does it take you to eat it?”

My wife and I go through a loaf in a 2-3 days. Never saw one go stale, turn colors, or get hard though. Not at our house at least!


#20

When I make almond flour or flax bread, it’s usually gone in a few hours. Then the rest of my family pays for the high fiber content.

That’s what she said.