Biotest

Almond Bars Alternative

My mother-in-law makes these killer almond bars – that once I start eating – I cannot stop. The main ingredients are: butter, almond paste (like almond butter, but finer grind, and added sugar), sugar and flour). Full recipe is below. So I took that recipe and tried a no sugar, no flour version. Here’s what it looks like:

Almond Bars (Alternative)
1 C butter (2 sticks, 1600 cals)
1 cup almond butter, (1436 cals)
1 tsp almond extract
(mix)
2 eggs (140 cals)
(stevia – 3/4 cups)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
(mix)
2 cups almond flour (1280 cals)

Spray pan, cover with sliced almonds
Bake 350 for 35 mins
I pulled it out at 30 mins – as the edges were getting dark

Total damage, 4456 cals total (mostly fat and protein – very low carbs).

Assessment: The texture is lighter and less dense than the original. Almost crumbles like a cake, where as the original is a very thick and dense bar. I think next time, I’d try only 1 stick of butter and add an extra egg – to lower the calories, and because they are plenty oily. This alternative recipe just doesn’t have the volume of sugar to absorb all of the oil. Wife described the texture as “coarse, but not gritty.”

A few pics attached.

Here is the original recipe with all of its sugary and flour glory:

Almond Bars
1 C butter (2 sticks, 1600)
8 oz can almond paste
1 tsp almond extract
(mix)
2 eggs (140 cals)
2 C sugar
add to mixer
2 C flour
(very thick)
Spray pan, cover with sliced almonds and course suguar
Bake 350 for 35 mins

Another pic. To be clear, the picture of the full pan above is from the “alternative” recipe.

A mixture of almond flour and Metabolic Drive protein may do the trick to bring it up to perfection.

Hmmm. Interesting suggestion. I’ll give it a try…

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
A mixture of almond flour and Metabolic Drive protein may do the trick to bring it up to perfection. [/quote]