Biotest

Akeb and Skizac's V-Diet Log

Yay, we’re finally starting our V-diet today! We are a married couple, (9 years!), who’ve been lifting (Akeb on and off) for about 8 years. We have a history of powerlifting and strongman, and now Skizac has decided to do his first bodybuilding show later this year.

Out of solidarity, Akeb agreed to train to figure competition shape with him.

Kellster's V-Diet Log

Skizac is still grabbing his pics off the camera, so I guess I’ll start.

Stats:
Height: 5’6"
Weight: 133 lb.
Waist: 27.5"
Hips: 32.5"
Thighs: Both 21 1/4"

These are the only measurements I care about with respect to this diet, so they’re the only ones I’ll be tracking.

History:
I’d been out of the gym for about two years until last August. At that time, I started lifting hard and eating a ton of protein. I’ve since gained back most / all / maybe a little more of the strength I had before quitting two years ago. I’m also leaner than I’ve ever been, not that it shows in the pictures. :frowning:

On a side note, I’m also on a quest to fix my form for the three powerlifting lifts and front squats. Check it out and leave me tips: http://www.youtube.com/user/radairruse

Goals:
Abs. See those ugly bumpy things on my belly? Those are abs. I want real abs that look good. Eventually, I need to be in figure contest shape, but I don’t think I’ll get all the way there in the next six weeks.

Girl waist. I guess I just have a naturally wide waist in proportion to my hips and shoulders, but I’d really like to see it slim down.

Motivation:
High! I’m excited to be starting this challenge, and am looking forward to bringing it! :slight_smile:

Fears:
I’m anticipating really low energy once I get a few days in, and I’m not sure how that will impact my work. I’m finishing up a contract next week and will be interviewing and hopefully starting my next job during the 28 days of the diet. I need to not be death walking so that I can start out on the right foot.

Peanut butter. I actually eat about 40-80% protein powder anyway, so I’m not worried about the dietary restrictions. But I LOVE peanut butter, and it’s going to be really hard to not go nuts with it.

Side view of Skizac.

Skizac’s back.

I hate looking at these pictures of myself. My body has all kinds of weird problems. Messed up left elbow, weird asymmetries are visible in my chest from the front and my shoulders from the back. I have no idea if getting leaner will help or hurt those problems.

I’m angry about this diet. Not excited at all about doing it, unlike Akeb. It angers me that I can’t ever get what I want. I either have to starve myself to stay lean or I eat what I want and I’m fat. It’s impossible to be happy either way.

a true inspiration. a couple that lifts and diets together stays together.your a lucky man.

Day 1 went fine yesterday. I tend to get hungry in the morning and at night, but that’s when the two biggest V-Diet meals are, so that helps a lot. I keep having impulses to eat real food, but so far they’re just impulses - not cravings.

The one thing that was a problem was that I tried taking two HOT-ROX. OMG! I felt like I was gonna puke and / or explode! I’d been warming up to it by taking only one for a few days, but it didn’t help. Back to one for today. :slight_smile:

I was down two pounds this morning, but I think that’s just normal day-to-day fluctuation, because it seems like too much for the first day. Still, it’s nice to see!

My sister and her cool Italian boyfriend are coming to visit tonight / tomorrow morning. They know we’re dieting for Skizac’s contest, but they don’t know about the V-Diet. They’ll take it ok, I think, and we’ve arranged to only do coffee together - no food.

Then we have a busy weekend including the Grand Opening of our awesome new gym, (http://www.supremesportspt.com/), so hopefully we’ll be too busy to think about food!

Stay strong, Baybee! You’re gonna be RIPPED!

Welcome, you two! Couples do well on the V-Diet, lots of support and empathy! Lots of spare time for lovin’! (Hey, that’s NEPA, right?)

[quote]
These are the only measurements I care about with respect to this diet, so they’re the only ones I’ll be tracking. [/quote]

I like using lots of measurements because fat loss doesn’t always begin where we want it to. For example, the face is usually first, but most people aren’t looking there; they’re looking at their trouble spots. Same with arms, neck, lower legs etc. So seeing inches being lost in other areas can be motivational as the fat loss “works its way” to the trouble areas.

[quote]

Peanut butter. I actually eat about 40-80% protein powder anyway, so I’m not worried about the dietary restrictions. But I LOVE peanut butter, and it’s going to be really hard to not go nuts with it.[/quote]

Measure and/or weigh it to be sure you’re getting a true serving. Works for me. (I love the stuff a little too much too!)

[quote]akeb wrote:
The one thing that was a problem was that I tried taking two HOT-ROX. OMG! I felt like I was gonna puke and / or explode! I [/quote]

Take them with a shake. This is what I do. Some of us have sensitive stomachs to the stuff. It still works great, even when used with food and not on an empty stomach.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the tips, Chris. I did take the HOT-ROX with the morning shake, but this morning I took my one pill a few minutes after the shake, and it went much better. I think that’s the way to go for me.

I’ll take more measurements tomorrow morning.

Ok, I’m going a little nuts with the posting here… I’m just so excited! Maybe it’s the HOT-ROX. ;D

Anyway, I forgot to tell this story in my introduction post, and it’s hilarious. Best the-world-is-populated-with-idiots dieting story ever. I was talking in the kitchen at work with a coworker last week, and she busted out with, “Well, I’m going to make a Slim-Fast shake!” My first reaction, of course, was “Ugh. Those are crap.” But, hey, I don’t actually know this woman too well, so I kept that to myself.

So, she roots around in the fridge and pulls out her milk and glass and starts pouring some… And pouring, and pouring… It looked like 20-some ounces, and I didn’t see markings on the glass to measure by, so I was surprised a) that she was using milk at all, and b) that she was using so much. Then I looked more closely at the “milk” jug - it was HALF AND HALF. No joke.

Unfortunately, she has confided in me that her diet “isn’t working.” Rockin’.

Welcome akeb!!! Glad to see you up and running. It’s going to be fun to see where we end up!!! You’re starting with WAY more muscle than me, so I’m expecting you to look pretty cut at the end of all this!!! :slight_smile:

Based on everyone’s posts, I’m glad I’m not doing the HOT-ROX…but good luck to you.

wow that is so great that the two of you are doing this together. i wish my bf would join me but there is just no way. at first he wasn’t very supportive. but i think now that a few days have gone by and i haven’t waivered he sees that i am serious.

anyway, i really will be here supporting you and watching the amazing progress. you both look great to start with so i can only imagine what the end product will be.

have a great day!

[quote]akeb wrote:
Ok, I’m going a little nuts with the posting here… I’m just so excited! Maybe it’s the HOT-ROX. ;D

Anyway, I forgot to tell this story in my introduction post, and it’s hilarious. Best the-world-is-populated-with-idiots dieting story ever. I was talking in the kitchen at work with a coworker last week, and she busted out with, “Well, I’m going to make a Slim-Fast shake!” My first reaction, of course, was “Ugh. Those are crap.” But, hey, I don’t actually know this woman too well, so I kept that to myself.

So, she roots around in the fridge and pulls out her milk and glass and starts pouring some… And pouring, and pouring… It looked like 20-some ounces, and I didn’t see markings on the glass to measure by, so I was surprised a) that she was using milk at all, and b) that she was using so much. Then I looked more closely at the “milk” jug - it was HALF AND HALF. No joke.

Unfortunately, she has confided in me that her diet “isn’t working.” Rockin’. [/quote]

That is hilarious. She’s a good example of why sometimes I don’t even like to talk about my diet to the regular people out there. They have so little clue it’s ridiculous. Also, good luck on your journey. You both have a solid foundation and I look forward to seeing your awesome after photos.

Man, day 1 was hard for me. I was super angry all day long at not being able to eat anything solid. I feel a lot better today. The 12 hours of sleep I got last night probably helped. :slight_smile:

I’m having some major trouble with the NEPA walks. I can only walk about 10 minutes before my shins start cramping up so bad that I nearly have to crawl home. I try to keep my lower legs relaxed, but it doesn’t help much. I’ll try stretching them out before I walk, but I don’t know how much that will help, either.

I also looked at some pictures of bodybuilders and realized that many of them have some noticeable asymmetry when you look at them straight on from the front or the rear. I feel better about the way I look now.

You look hot, Baybee, and you’re only looking hotter as time goes on. :slight_smile: I’m omw home from work now, and ready to front squat!

Ok, for like my fifth post today… I’m still running on the excitement of the potential of the next 28 days! Will try to calm down and post less tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Just got back from the gym for workout #1:

Front Squat: 105 lb, 4 sets of 5
Assisted Chin-Up: 15 lb. assist for 5, 3, 3 then 25 lb. assist for 4, 3, 2
Dumbbell Bench Press: 35 lb. dumbbells (70 lb. total) for 4 sets of 5
Ab-Wheel Rollout: Four sets of 5

NEPA: 20 min. walking between the metro and the office, 10 min. 4 mph with incline of 5 on the treadmill.

All the weights except for the chins were too light. I was stopping at 5 on the first sets because I had already decided to do the 20 reps in four sets of 5, but I could have done way more. So, they’ll all go up next time.

The chins worked out pretty well, and I think I’m going to do the same assisting weight change mid-workout next time. I just lose strength so quickly in my upper body that I want to take advantage of it when it’s there in the first couple sets. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I definitely didn’t kick my butt enough today. Monday I’ll step it up. Considering following tpadgorak’s lead and doing the Advanced V-challenge even though I’m doing the Intermediate lifting workouts.

Actually, I’m considering just switching to the Advanced program altogether. Would have to swap out overhead squats and handstand pushups, though, because I can’t do them well enough. Maybe I should stick with Intermediate. I just don’t want to be taking the easy road, you know? That’s not what this month is about.

Diet-wise, today has been fine. I anticipate the low calories really hitting me this weekend, though.

Oh, puke. We just got back from the first V-Burn Challenge. I decided to step it up and switch to the Advanced program, even though I’m going to have to make some substitutions. Blerg!

For the V-Burn, I did regular pushups instead of handstand pushups, (which I can’t do at all). It was only once I was halfway through the first round, though, that I realized there were already pushups in the program. Oops. I kept them anyway, and did a grand total of 140 pushups. Way more than I’ve ever done in my life. I suspect that my back was sagging on these, but they were still difficult, so I didn’t sweat it this first time. If anyone has an alternative substitution suggestion for handstand pushups, I’d love to hear it.

Also, I can’t do hand walkouts as far out as the guy in the video does them. I get to several inches above my head, and if I go any further I fall down. :slight_smile: I watched the video again after I got home, and I think that here I should have been piking my butt up a little more instead of trying to stay flat.

Anyway, my shoulders and neck are fried. 39 Minutes of… I don’t know - something really difficult. I can’t think right now. :frowning:

Day 2: I enjoyed my first weight lifting workout. Nice change from the stuff I’ve been doing.

Workout 1
30 Seconds rest, 20 reps total per movemenent
Underhand barbell row - 275 lbs; sets of 6, 6, 4, 4
Cambered bar squat - 418 lbs; sets of 7, 5, 3, 2, 2, 1
Dips - 70 lbs for 10, then 90 lbs; sets of 4, 3, 3
Ab wheel - sets of 8, 8, 4

I picked a weight that was too light for dips and had to increase it. I’ll add some resistance to the ab wheel next time by putting some chains around my neck.

I substituted cambered bar squats for overhead squats because I’m having some trouble with shoulder flexibility right now. I found that it was very difficult to recover quickly enough on the squats in only 30 seconds. That’s why I was down to doing sets of 1-2 at the end.