Biotest

After V-Diet

Chris,
For the past week or so I’ve been keeping a food journal. My macros look pretty good, but I wanted a second opinion. Today:
Breakfast - 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup chopped onions, chicken breast
Peri Workout - 1/2 FINiBAR before, 1/2 scoop Surge after
Lunch - 1 scoop MD powder, 1 entire bag of romaine lettuce, one tomato, 2 cucumbers, 1 small red bell pepper
Dinner - 1 entire bag stir fry vege mix, 1 chicken breast
Pre Bed - 2 scoops MD

My macros came out to:
Calories: 1,490
Carb: 113g
Fat: 18g
Protein: 193g
Sugar: 50 g

First, I realize I need more fat. Also, I was curious about the amount of food I take in…For insance, as mentioned, I ate an ENTIRE bag of romaine lettuce for lunch, and an entire bag of stir fry veges for dinner, along with other stuff…My macros still look good, so is this okay? Eating this much? Also, I wanted to note that my calories and carbs jump around a bit, but never go over 2000 calories or 175 carbs…All thanks to the V-Diet!

i don’t think anyone should ever worry about consuming too many vegetables. other than that, there’s not much to say. you could be vastly over eating if you weigh 50 lbs and don’t get off the couch. you could be VASTLY under eating if you were 200lbs and actually lifted weights.

i don’t see any carbs here at all from fruits. i don’t see any healthy fat. this doesn’t look like it could sustain much more than a rabbit over the long haul.

it’s extremely important to take the long view when it comes to dietary habits. …unless you are giving yourself a short amount of time to make some drastic changes.

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Chris,
For the past week or so I’ve been keeping a food journal. My macros look pretty good, but I wanted a second opinion. Today:
Breakfast - 6 egg whites, 1/2 cup chopped onions, chicken breast
Peri Workout - 1/2 FINiBAR before, 1/2 scoop Surge after
Lunch - 1 scoop MD powder, 1 entire bag of romaine lettuce, one tomato, 2 cucumbers, 1 small red bell pepper
Dinner - 1 entire bag stir fry vege mix, 1 chicken breast
Pre Bed - 2 scoops MD

My macros came out to:
Calories: 1,490
Carb: 113g
Fat: 18g
Protein: 193g
Sugar: 50 g

First, I realize I need more fat. Also, I was curious about the amount of food I take in…For insance, as mentioned, I ate an ENTIRE bag of romaine lettuce for lunch, and an entire bag of stir fry veges for dinner, along with other stuff…My macros still look good, so is this okay? Eating this much? Also, I wanted to note that my calories and carbs jump around a bit, but never go over 2000 calories or 175 carbs…All thanks to the V-Diet![/quote]

cstephens has some good points.

What are your goals right now?

And yes, I’d eat whole eggs. The 90’s are over, we know dietary fat from eggs is fine now. No need to live on chicken either.

Eat all the veggies you want… unless you start covering them with blue cheese dressings. No need to really count these carbs either.

What’s a good way to add healthy fat? I don’t want to have PB around the house, b/c I’m still trying to kick that craving - I always eat the entire thing right away…Anyway, I am doing CT’s OVT, but my own slightly modified version with 3 sets of 8 reps instead of the 5 X 5 that the OVT program uses. I also do some treadmill sprints 2X per week, and some steady stated cardio of about 15 to 20 mins twice a week. I feel like I’m eating A LOT, but apparently I’m not…

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
What’s a good way to add healthy fat? I don’t want to have PB around the house, b/c I’m still trying to kick that craving - I always eat the entire thing right away…Anyway, I am doing CT’s OVT, but my own slightly modified version with 3 sets of 8 reps instead of the 5 X 5 that the OVT program uses. I also do some treadmill sprints 2X per week, and some steady stated cardio of about 15 to 20 mins twice a week. I feel like I’m eating A LOT, but apparently I’m not…[/quote]

Heathy fats: Flameout (mainly fish oil), FA3 (above), avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, omega-3 enriched eggs (Eggland’s Best) or just regular eggs, almond flour and nuts, beef, etc.

Chris,
I already take 4 Flameout tabs a day (what’s the difference b/w Flameout and fa3 by the way? always wondered that). As for goals - I am 6 foot 2ish, and i float from 170 to 180. Before V-Diet I was around 190. This number sounds really low, but I just have a small frame. I’m tall and lanky, so I don’t think I could ever have the “barrel chest” bodybuilder look.

My goal is to make my visible abs more visible. I can see them when I flex, but I want to be completely ripped…probably a little unrealistic. Anyway, like I mentioned, I eat A LOT, but it’s all clean. My biggest “cheat” would probably be MD Bars. The things taste just like candy.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. Would the Flameout satisfy my fat requirements, thus making my diet satisfactory?

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Chris,
I already take 4 Flameout tabs a day (what’s the difference b/w Flameout and fa3 by the way? always wondered that). As for goals - I am 6 foot 2ish, and i float from 170 to 180. Before V-Diet I was around 190. This number sounds really low, but I just have a small frame. I’m tall and lanky, so I don’t think I could ever have the “barrel chest” bodybuilder look.

My goal is to make my visible abs more visible. I can see them when I flex, but I want to be completely ripped…probably a little unrealistic. Anyway, like I mentioned, I eat A LOT, but it’s all clean. My biggest “cheat” would probably be MD Bars. The things taste just like candy.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. Would the Flameout satisfy my fat requirements, thus making my diet satisfactory? [/quote]

1. Flameout is fish oil and CLA. FA3 is organic virgin coconut oil, organic olive oil, and borage oil. Info here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/fa3_the_new_fatty_acid_kid_on_the_block

2. Flameout is only 52 calories, about 5 or 6 grams of fat. Not enough if that’s all the good fats you’re getting for the day.

3. General advice: Keeps carbs at 50 to 100g per day. Up the fat.

How can I keep my carbs at 50 to 100 g per day when I get around 40 to 50g carb just from peri workout nutrition? My only carb sources as is are veges, salad mixes, and some fruits that i put into my salad…I listed a sample day above, and that was around 115g carbs…Do I have to cut out even more?

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
How can I keep my carbs at 50 to 100 g per day when I get around 40 to 50g carb just from peri workout nutrition? My only carb sources as is are veges, salad mixes, and some fruits that i put into my salad…I listed a sample day above, and that was around 115g carbs…Do I have to cut out even more?[/quote]

You can keep peri-workout nutrition and still be on the lower end of carb intake. Remember, you don’t even need to count the carbs in most veggies. (Subtract fiber count from carb count if you want to be anal about it.)

So when I’m calculating carb intake, I should subtract the fiber content from the amount of carbs listed on the food? Is that for veges or everything? Brain hurts…

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
So when I’m calculating carb intake, I should subtract the fiber content from the amount of carbs listed on the food? Is that for veges or everything? Brain hurts…[/quote]

If it’s a natural source of fiber, then yes, you can subtract it. Now, there is some “iffy-ness” there with certain types of fiber that fakey “health food” makers stick in some products, like so-called higher fiber ice cream. However, I doubt you’d be eating that stuff anyway.

In the end though, I’ll go back to what I always say: you don’t have to get that anal about carbs, calories and macros if you’re eating all good foods: meat, veggies, some fruit, eggs, nuts/seeds, no grains (bread, pasta etc.), no mil, no obvious junk. It’s those that are chugging milk and fruit juice, buying packaged low-fat foods, eating whole grain, and avoiding whole eggs and meat that have to keep food logs - because their food choices suck and don’t trigger self-regulation (quite the opposite.)