Biotest

After 2 Failed Attempts, I'm Doing It!

Ok, so here’s the story. I found T NATION back in 2008 while in Iraq. While I was deployed I was trying to transform my body so that when I got home people would say, wow. I started doing crossfit and noticed a few changes here and there. I tried the Atkins diet and the Anabolic diet but nothing really stuck and the food choices available to us were very limited.

I stumbled upon the Velocity Diet one day and within a few days had placed my order. Thing is I didn’t order enough Metabolic Drive. I used that and the fact that we had gotten some good food for the superbowl as excuses to end the diet.

My second try I was in Afghanistan in even more desolate circumstances. While I was in Iraq I was able to have internet access a few times a week. In Afghanistan, we were lucky to have electricity. So I called my wife on our satellite phone and had her order the supplies for me as well as print out everything she could find on TNation that would be relevant to my success.

I made it about 17 days this time but could not take it anymore. This time my excuse was the schedule that we were running. It required me to be awake for about 24-36 hours then gave me about 12 hours off. So after being on hour 20 one night I decided I was done.

I’ve always thought I would not be able to maintain the diet while in the states, and maybe that is why I tried twice while deployed. Though, after my 2nd failed attempt I began thinking that I had it backwards. So here I am, just placed my order for my 3rd attempt on the V-Diet.

I returned from Afghanistan about a month ago and since then I gained back all the weight I lost. I’m confident this time that I will not fail.

Plus I need to justify to my wife spending another $474!

I’ll take some measurements and post up some before pictures soon as well as the pictures I took while on my 2nd attempt.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome! If you have any specific question for me, be sure to pop them into the <a href="http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop"target=“new”>Ask Chris forum.

Thanks Chris, will do.

Hi Jake I am amazed that you even tried to do the V-Diet when you were deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan! Seriously I take my hat off to you for even trying in those situations. Anyway good luck this time around and get those pictures and measurements up. Just posting them on here will really help motivate you.

Yea, I’ll work on doing the pictures and measurements and getting everything else ready for the diet this weekend. I got everything in the mail today. I’m excited to try it with everything at my fingertips this time around.

Jake,

Welcome brother! Its amazing how we think that while deployed we can do all this stuff. and yes, some of us do, but! I suspect you’ll find it much easier to do from home than deployed! Check out some of the other folks here… Marzouk, Staypositive, etc… its not about where you start, its about your goals and where you finish.

L1FRDOG
"Deeds, Not Words!"

Dont try, dont attempt, just do it.

:slight_smile:

WR: good outlook.

Ok finally after a busy weekend I got around to getting ready for tomorrow. Here are my measurements:

Height 66’'
Weight 166.2
Neck 15
Shoulders 43
Chest-upper 37.5
Chest-lower 37
Waist-naval 34
Waist-largest 36
Hips-largest 40.5
upper arm-L 12
upper arm-R 12
upper leg-L 22.5
upper leg-R 23.5
lower leg-L 14.5
lower leg-R 14.5
Ankle-L 8.5
Ankle-R 9

Tomorrow is day 1. I’m not really feeling anything that I don’t normally feel on a Sunday night. I read over all of the v-diet 3.0 stuff again to ensure I wasn’t missing anything. My HSM day is going to be Sunday because my wife and I usually go out somewhere or bbq at home. So i’ll try and keep that going just make sure I follow the HSM guidelines. I’m on leave right now so when I get up before I have my first shake I’ll take my dogs for a walk. I plan on going to the gym around 9:00. I’ll be doing the intermediate program. We’ll see what happens. Pictures will follow in a minute.

update Go down for day 1 and day 29 photos!

Here wss my progress in Afghanistan. This picture was taken around day 14.

[photo]32063[/photo]

I haven’t said much about my fitness goals. I obviously want to look and feel better. I have been doing Crossfit type workouts for the past 3 years. Before my last deployment my workout plan was basically hiking with a pack on around 6-20 miles a week, running 6-10 miles a week, and 3 days at the pool swimming about 500 meters and treading water for 20 minutes. Needless to say I was burning a lot of calories… However, my eating habits were terrible. I tend to stay away from fast food for the most part and rarely drink soda but baring that I pretty much ate what I wanted when I wanted. I usually ate to the point that I was FULL, instead of just being content with eating normal portions. The majority of my diet was like many Americans, high calorie, high carbohydrate, high fat, low protein.

So here I am now. I’m heading down a new path towards where I have been trying to get for a very long time. I’m not trying to be huge, just trying to be extremely fit. I think with the eating habits that I am going to learn over the next few months, it’ll get me where I want to be.

Damn the guy selling hot dogs outside of Lowes! Had to stop my errands to come home for a shake.

Day two is now complete. I felt like complete shit all day. Had a headache most of the day. I had an appointment to get my taxes done at 5pm and didn’t get seen until around 615. The headache on top of the lack of serotonin (from carbs) made me want to punch holes in the walls. Anyway, came home had a shake took some advil and i’m feeling much better. My wife heated up some rice and shrimp from the local hibachi place we ate at on Sunday night (my last night before the diet), it smelled amazing. Hopefully tomorrow I wake up feeling as good as I do right now.
I have the equipment at home to do my workout in my back yard so im pretty excited about not having to drive to the gym. We’ll see how tomorrow goes.

Done with day 3. Worked out around 12:00 at home. Before 12 I felt pretty shitty. After the workout I felt good. I never realized how many fast food commercials were on TV. No wonder why I’m always craving burgers.

I was behind a women and her kid today at target, needless to say they were both very overweight. They were talking about going to cici’s… I laughed out loud.
…and then I envied their ignorance.

If your unfamiliar with Cici’s, its a pizza buffet. It’s delicious but everything that is wrong with American eating habits.

one day at a time.

Made it to day 5… Not feeling too bad and I’m finding that as long as I don’t go more than 3.5 hours without a shake I can pretty much do anything. I’ve gone food shopping with my wife twice and didn’t want to start ripping bags of chips off of the shelve and eating them. Energy levels are still lower than usual but I think I’m getting used to the feeling.

I tried making the flax/protein bread last night for my wife to give me something to do. I haven’t tried it but she said it was OK. She wasn’t impressed but then again she said she’d eat it again. I’ll have to tinker with it to see if I can get it to taste any better.

I have noticed that when it comes to that bread, it is really more a vessel for awesomeness than anything else. We made a spicier version with crushed red pepper then added meat and cheese, awesome!

yea my wife was already suggesting adding things like nuts and fruits. Little does she know its already been done. I’ll try for the awesomeness next time. Thanks.

Day 7 is halfway done. This morning I weighed in at 157.8. That is a loss of roughly 9lbs.

I had my HSM yesterday just because it worked with my schedule. I wasn’t really craving “real” food but it was nice to have.

I had a salad with mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, onion, bacon, and crab meat with a tomato vinaigrette dressing as well as some sweet potato fries. It was really good and I stayed full after eating it. I put my fork down after each mouth full and just enjoyed the food. Awesome first HSM.

I’ve been mixing sugar free orange benefiber with my strawberry and vanilla shakes and it makes them taste like creamsavers.

Overall I’m feeling good. My energy levels have returned to normal, for the most part. Ready to start another week.

Almost forgot! My wife and I have been married for about a year and a half and never got to go on a honeymoon… Right after we were married my job and her moving didn’t give us the time and the money. Well, we just booked a vacation to the Caribbean. We’ll be going the last week of April. By then I’ll be starting my 2nd week of transition so it’ll be manageable after the diet. We’re both really looking forward to it and it’s giving me that much more motivation to “man up and do the fucking diet”

Thanks again for reading.

Day 8, just got back from the gym. feeling pretty good. Did my v-burn challenge last night: 29 minutes. Alright, back to work.

Day 13: Made it this far with no slip ups. My HSM yesterday was the 11oz sirloin, sweet potato and salad from Texas Roadhouse, awesome. I usually get mad when I’m told the wait is only 20 minutes when in reality it takes over an hour but I was just happy to be enjoying the meal.

I’m going to do the v-burn this afternoon, i’ll post my time for that this evening.

Here are my measurements after about two weeks on the diet:

3/20/11 4/3/11

Height 66’’ 66"
Weight 166.2 155.2
Neck 15 14.5
Shoulders 43 43.5
Chest-upper 37.5 36
Chest-lower 37 35
Waist-naval 34 33
Waist-largest 36 34.5
Hips-largest 40.5 39
upper arm-L 12 12
upper arm-R 12 12
upper leg-L 22.5 22
upper leg-R 23.5 22.25
lower leg-L 14.5 13.75
lower leg-R 14.5 14
Ankle-L 8.5 8.5
Ankle-R 9 8.75

While my weight has only dropped about 11 pounds I’m glad to see changes in the above numbers. I did weigh about 154 for two days then this morning gained a pound. I’m aware that looking at the scale can make you go crazy and that’s why I took the measurements again. Better to keep me motivated. I’m not going to say that I’m not craving junk food because I am but I think of it almost like I would be breaking the law if I broke the diet. I’ve put a lot of time and energy into it and do not want it to be for nothing. Now my health and physique are more important than food than ever before.

[quote]Jakeneller wrote:
Day 13: Made it this far with no slip ups. My HSM yesterday was the 11oz sirloin, sweet potato and salad from Texas Roadhouse, awesome. I usually get mad when I’m told the wait is only 20 minutes when in reality it takes over an hour but I was just happy to be enjoying the meal.

I’m going to do the v-burn this afternoon, i’ll post my time for that this evening.

Here are my measurements after about two weeks on the diet:

3/20/11 4/3/11

Height 66’’ 66"
Weight 166.2 155.2
Neck 15 14.5
Shoulders 43 43.5
Chest-upper 37.5 36
Chest-lower 37 35
Waist-naval 34 33
Waist-largest 36 34.5
Hips-largest 40.5 39
upper arm-L 12 12
upper arm-R 12 12
upper leg-L 22.5 22
upper leg-R 23.5 22.25
lower leg-L 14.5 13.75
lower leg-R 14.5 14
Ankle-L 8.5 8.5
Ankle-R 9 8.75

While my weight has only dropped about 11 pounds I’m glad to see changes in the above numbers. I did weigh about 154 for two days then this morning gained a pound. I’m aware that looking at the scale can make you go crazy and that’s why I took the measurements again. Better to keep me motivated. I’m not going to say that I’m not craving junk food because I am but I think of it almost like I would be breaking the law if I broke the diet. I’ve put a lot of time and energy into it and do not want it to be for nothing. Now my health and physique are more important than food than ever before.[/quote]

Hi Jake, good progress so far. How’s it been going the last few days?