Biotest

'Adequate' Amount of Carbs for Indigo?

Chris - quick question: I frequently see you say that you need to eat an “adequate” amount of carbs to get the full effects of I3G. Do you have a rule of thumb for “adequate”? I know it varies per person. I try to get ~100 grams pre-during-post workout. I’m sure that’s adequate for a 200 pounder.

What would you recommend to be the lower limit for a 200 pounder for meals that do not follow workouts, such as breakfast or dinner on non-workout days? I was thinking 50 grams, but really have no idea.

Indigo Strategy

Everyone has to basically find their “sweet spot” when it comes to carb intake. And many factors influence this: how you train, genetics (ectomorph vs. endomoph, using that old terminology), where you’re coming from (former fat boy vs. lifelong lean athlete), type of carbs (potato vs junk food), etc.

And then there’s the issue of workout carbs. The best ones, like those in <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma and <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 don’t behave like whole food carbs and it’s very tough, if not impossible, to gain fat from them. You just can’t count them the same way as you do rice and other whole foods.

Then of course you have the effects of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G, which partitions carbs toward muscle gain instead of fat storage, meaning that our old ideas about how many carbs are right for us get thrown out the window because Indigo changes those rules. For example, I had to stay about 100-150g of carbs per day or I’d get fat before Indigo. Now I stay leaner eating 3 times that many.

So all that taken into consideration, you’ll see how you have to experiment a little. We used to tell people to start around 200-300g of carbs per day when using Indigo-3G, and workout nutrition like Plazma counts as part of that very general guideline. Some found that 200 was best for them, others found there almost was no top limit of carbs per day when using Indigo.

Thanks, Chris. FWIW, I am a FFB who’s using I3G to lose fat and fix my partitioning system. I rarely - if ever - eat grains and eat healthy 90% of the time.

And to clarify my question (so maybe not as “quick” a question as I suggested): I’m not all that concerned about periworkout. It’s breakfast I’m concerned about. I’m taking 2 serving of I3G to fix myself, and want to make sure I’m getting enough carbs in the AM to make it worth my while to take I3G. I usually throw some almond milk, whey protein powder, and frozen fruit in a blender and drink that in the AM for breakfast. I’m usually getting around 50g carbs that way. I am definitely open to experimenting, but I first want to make sure I’m not starting too low.

Does any of this information help? Thanks again!

Add a couple rice cakes to your blender.

I would think more about total daily intake. For example, say you decide to start your “sweet spot quest” at 300g per day. First subtract the number of carbs in your workout nutrition from that total. Let’s sat that leaves you with 200g per day to spend. Divide that up pretty evenly, perhaps keeping more than average your first post-lifting meal. So, 4 solid meals per day means about 50g of carbs in each, roughly.

Also, don’t fear grains. I used to be in the same boat. What I’ve personally come to learn is that grains aren’t the devil as long as wheat isn’t one of them. And no, I’m not celiac. So, oatmeal, rice, buckwheat, etc. are all great foods for the muscle-seeking, hard-training person. But wheat does nothing for you and may be doing more harm than good. And for those struggling to lose fat, I’d actually have them drop the fruit-based carbs before the “rice/potato/oatmeal” carbs.

But that’s only after we’ve really narrowed down any other issues standing in the way of your goals. For example, that “10% fun food” rule so many follow can really hamper their progress. Probably because it’s more like 25%. And partly because it’s a step backward in their progress every time they cheat. Not saying you’re doing that, but 15 years of experience advising people has taught me that it’s more common than not.